how to trace users' login and logout records

how to trace users' login and logout records

Post by Roger C. Chuang/2? » Fri, 11 Sep 1998 04:00:00

Hi.

I am looking info of how to trace users' login and logout records. I
need info of how long a user stay connecting to the server. Need those
info to bill each user who use the connection service.

Your inputs are appreciated.

--
==============
Best regards,

how to trace users' login and logout records

Post by felicity+s.. » Fri, 11 Sep 1998 04:00:00

Quote:> I am looking info of how to trace users' login and logout records. I
> need info of how long a user stay connecting to the server. Need those
> info to bill each user who use the connection service.

look into "last" and utmp.

--
To reply via mail, please remove the obvious from the email address.

Post by Jean-Francois Doyo » Fri, 11 Sep 1998 04:00:00

> Hi.

> I am looking info of how to trace users' login and logout records. I
> need info of how long a user stay connecting to the server. Need those
> info to bill each user who use the connection service.

> Your inputs are appreciated.

Implement Radius, or write some code that will parse your logs and output
the times on and so forth.  syslogd does not keep that information
anywhere, you have to calculate it.  (Or use Radius)

J.F.

1. The 'last' command doesn't record users logout

It seems that the 'last' command only shows who logged in at what time,
but when the user has logged out, it fail to record it. So the user
once logged in will always recorded as login:

user1    ttyp7        Thu Dec  9 15:25 - 01:13 (still logged in)

user1 logout at 15:30 actually.

What is wrong with it? Where should I start looking?
Also I would like to log the machine that the person is login
from, like:

user2   ttyp2    halfdome.eecg.to Tue Dec  7 18:51 - 19:57  (01:05)

THanks
--

Daniel Y.H. Wong                                        UofT:(416)978-1659

--

2. REQ: Cobalt RaQ webserver - who sells them?

3. How to get a user's last login record?

4. Linux login on H/PC running WinCE

5. How to get user's login record?

6. xdmcp

7. 'failed running login shell' no non-root user login possible

8. Which Linux CD should i get?

9. Kill 'Old' User Process on Login of Same User

10. Login without login getting recorded into last login file

11. User's name doesn't disappear after they logout?

12. How to trace problem in user X startup code (login scripts)