"Login" and "su" issue with root password

"Login" and "su" issue with root password

Post by Emmanuel Berange » Sun, 28 Apr 2002 07:47:41

Hello,
i just upgraded from Mandrake 8.0 to 8.2

I have a silly problem : I can log as Joeuser, but not as root !
(invalid password !)
However, when I "su" at console, it gets my passwrd allright ...

Any1 have seen this issue ?

Thanks for any clue.

Post by David Efflan » Sun, 28 Apr 2002 09:00:19

> Hello,
> i just upgraded from Mandrake 8.0 to 8.2

> I have a silly problem : I can log as Joeuser, but not as root !
> (invalid password !)
> However, when I "su" at console, it gets my passwrd allright ...

> Any1 have seen this issue ?

Are you talking about a login shell, or telnet?  You should NOT be able to
telnet in as root, you should connect as a normal user and then 'su -'.
Of course ssh is better for any remote login.

If it is a shell login problem maybe, it is using devfs instead of /dev
and the devices have different names.  See what 'tty' shows when you login
as a user and then see what /etc/securetty allows root to log into.

"Login" and "su" issue with root password

Post by Emmanuel Berange » Tue, 30 Apr 2002 03:17:00

Thx, that did it

David Efflandt a crit :