Help on Mounting USB mini drive

Post by Merli » Thu, 20 Mar 2003 20:04:52

Hi all,

I am trying to use a USB mini drive on my Linux machine.  The PC can
detect the drive and found it at /dev/sda.  As I understand it, I need
to mount it using

mount /dev/sda /mnt/usbdrive

but the OS gave me a error saying I need to specify the file system.
Not sure how to proceed from here and I tried the various file systems
(vfat, msdos, etc) using

mount -t <filesystem> /dev/sda /mnt/usbdrive

but to no avail.  any suggestions is deeply appreciated.....

btw, I am still very new to Linux, but I tried to use the drive in W2K
to ascertain it's not a problem with the mini drive itself.

Thanks !!

Post by Eggert Ehmk » Thu, 20 Mar 2003 20:52:30

> I am trying to use a USB mini drive on my Linux machine.  The PC can
> detect the drive and found it at /dev/sda.  As I understand it, I need
> to mount it using

> mount /dev/sda /mnt/usbdrive

is your usb-storage module loaded ? do a
modprobe usb-storage
before anything else.

my usb device can be mounted as /dev/sdc1. did you try sda1 ? what you
really want is the first partition on the device.

is the usb mini drive formatted ? if not, you have to format it first. try
mkfs.msdos /dev/sda1
or
mkfs.ext2 /dev/sda1

if all works well, you can put an entry into your /etc/fstab with the
working parameters, like this:
/dev/sda1 /mnt/usbdrive vfat noauto,user,exec 0 0
Then in future all you need is
mount /mnt/usbdrive
without any parameters.

The vfat filesystem on the drive can be important if you wish to use the
device on windows too. Most digital cameras also use vfat. If you don't
need this, you can take ext2.

hope this helps...
Eggert

Help on Mounting USB mini drive

Post by Merli » Fri, 21 Mar 2003 14:44:58

thanks !! mate... will try and report back later for the benefit of others
.... cheers

> > I am trying to use a USB mini drive on my Linux machine.  The PC can
> > detect the drive and found it at /dev/sda.  As I understand it, I need
> > to mount it using

> > mount /dev/sda /mnt/usbdrive

> is your usb-storage module loaded ? do a
> modprobe usb-storage
> before anything else.

> my usb device can be mounted as /dev/sdc1. did you try sda1 ? what you
> really want is the first partition on the device.

> is the usb mini drive formatted ? if not, you have to format it first. try
> mkfs.msdos /dev/sda1
> or
> mkfs.ext2 /dev/sda1

> if all works well, you can put an entry into your /etc/fstab with the
> working parameters, like this:
> /dev/sda1 /mnt/usbdrive vfat noauto,user,exec 0 0
> Then in future all you need is
> mount /mnt/usbdrive
> without any parameters.

> The vfat filesystem on the drive can be important if you wish to use the
> device on windows too. Most digital cameras also use vfat. If you don't
> need this, you can take ext2.

> hope this helps...
> Eggert

Help on Mounting USB mini drive

Post by Merli » Sat, 22 Mar 2003 16:49:10

It works !!

thanks again ..Eggert Ehmke

Post by Eggert Ehmk » Sun, 23 Mar 2003 00:15:44

> It works !!

Hi Merlin !

Nice to know it works now. However, please tell us which was the exact
reason for the problem ? This information can help other users with similar
problems.
Eggert

Post by Robert Lov » Sun, 23 Mar 2003 13:03:36

> Nice to know it works now. However, please tell us which was the exact
> reason for the problem ? This information can help other users with similar
> problems.
> Eggert

I am trying to do the same thing.  I have a 256MB usb mini drive and
an old 32 MB one.  I can mount the 32 MB one as

mount /dev/sdb1 /mnt/key

and everything works.   When I try the new 256 MB device I get:

mount /dev/sdb1 /mnt/key
mount: No medium found

If try /dev/sdc1 or sdd1 I get
mount: /dev/sdc1 is not a valid block device.

I think the 256MB key works because I can put it on a Mac and see
files just fine.  What do I need to do to make it work on Linux?

Thanks for all advice.

Help on Mounting USB mini drive

Post by Dances With Crow » Sun, 23 Mar 2003 14:15:10

On 21 Mar 2003 22:03:36 -0600, Robert Love staggered into the Black Sun
and said:

>> Nice to know it works now. However, please tell us which was the
>> exact reason for the problem ? This information can help other users
>> with similar problems.

> I have a 256MB usb mini drive and an old 32 MB one.  I can mount the
> 32 MB one as

> mount /dev/sdb1 /mnt/key

> and everything works.   When I try the new 256 MB device I get:

> mount /dev/sdb1 /mnt/key
> mount: No medium found

> I think the 256MB key works because I can put it on a Mac and see
> files just fine.  What do I need to do to make it work on Linux?

The device probably has a different USB device ID that your kernel
doesn't recognize.  After you plug the 256M flashdrive in, do a dmesg
and see if you see "device 0F00:0BAR is not claimed by any active
driver" in the output.  This typically means you want to upgrade your
kernel.  Which version of which distro are you running?  You *should*
always post that information when asking a question; it tends to save
time for those trying to answer questions....

Brainbench MVP for Linux Admin /

Post by Robert Lov » Mon, 24 Mar 2003 02:58:24

> On 21 Mar 2003 22:03:36 -0600, Robert Love staggered into the Black
> Sun and said:
>> I have a 256MB usb mini drive and an old 32 MB one.  I can mount the
>> 32 MB one as

>> mount /dev/sdb1 /mnt/key

>> and everything works.   When I try the new 256 MB device I get:

>> mount /dev/sdb1 /mnt/key
>> mount: No medium found

>> I think the 256MB key works because I can put it on a Mac and see
>> files just fine.  What do I need to do to make it work on Linux?

> The device probably has a different USB device ID that your kernel
> doesn't recognize.  After you plug the 256M flashdrive in, do a dmesg
> and see if you see "device 0F00:0BAR is not claimed by any active
> driver" in the output.  This typically means you want to upgrade your
> kernel.  Which version of which distro are you running?  You *should*
> always post that information when asking a question; it tends to save
> time for those trying to answer questions....

Yes, I see such a message:

usb.c: USB device 34 (vend/prod 0xd73/0x2316) is not claimed by any
active driver.

I have RH 8.0 installed.  You start talking about uprading my kernel
I get real nerveous.  What/Where/When/Why.  I assume there is a "How-To"?
Can it be done as an RPM to do I have grab source and compile something?
How do I tell if I'm getting the right thing.

Help on Mounting USB mini drive

Post by Dances With Crow » Mon, 24 Mar 2003 04:01:40

On 22 Mar 2003 17:58:24 GMT, Robert Love staggered into the Black Sun
and said:

>> After you plug the 256M flashdrive in, do a dmesg and see if you see
>> "device 0F00:0BAR is not claimed by any active driver" in the output.
>> This typically means you want to upgrade your kernel.  Which version
>> of which distro are you running?  You *should* always post that
>> information when asking a question; it tends to save time for those
>> trying to answer questions....

> usb.c: USB device 34 (vend/prod 0xd73/0x2316) is not claimed by any
> active driver.

> I have RH 8.0 installed.  You start talking about uprading my kernel I
> get real nerveous.

It's complex, but not as complex as you fear.  The process is fully
documented and in KDE 3, there's even a GUI-fied kernel configuration
tool available in the KDE Control Center under "system administration".

Quote:> What/Where/When/Why.

/boot/bzImage , /usr/src/linux , anytime you feel like it, because newer
kernels support more hardware/run faster/have fixes for security holes
and bugs.

Quote:> I assume there is a "How-To"?

Google://"linux kernel compile howto" returns ~91,400 results, so yeah.

Quote:> Can it be done as an RPM to do I have grab source and compile
> something?

Redhat's kernel RPMs are always behind the times, but they *are* easier
for newbies.  Get yourself a source tarball from
ftp://ftp.kernel.org/pub/linux/kernel/v2.4/linux-2.4.20.tar.bz2 , follow
the directions you read in the HOWTO mentioned earlier, and you're set.
It would greatly simplify things for you if you took the .config file from
your installed Redhat kernel sources, copied it to the new source tree,
and ran "make oldconfig".

Quote:> How do I tell if I'm getting the right thing.

(What *IS* it with people omitting the "?" that goes at the end of an
interrogative sentence?  It's like people are reversing the silly
"Valley Girl" speech of the early 1980s, and it really irritates me to
see people making such dumb mistakes.)

If you get the wrong thing, it won't work.  However, there is more
documentation than you can shake a small mammal at available on the Net.
If you have questions, Google has answers.  HTH,

Brainbench MVP for Linux Admin /

Help on Mounting USB mini drive

Post by Yvan » Mon, 24 Mar 2003 16:26:27

Nedavno Dances With Crows pi1e:

| > Can it be done as an RPM to do I have grab source and compile
| > something?
|
| Redhat's kernel RPMs are always behind the times, but they *are* easier
| for newbies.  Get yourself a source tarball from
| ftp://ftp.kernel.org/pub/linux/kernel/v2.4/linux-2.4.20.tar.bz2 , follow
| the directions you read in the HOWTO mentioned earlier, and you're set.
| It would greatly simplify things for you if you took the .config file from
| your installed Redhat kernel sources, copied it to the new source tree,
| and ran "make oldconfig".

#locate .config

/usr/src/linux-2.4.18-14/configs/kernel-2.4.18-i686-bigmem.config
/usr/src/linux-2.4.18-14/configs/kernel-2.4.18-athlon-smp.config
/usr/src/linux-2.4.18-14/configs/kernel-2.4.18-athlon.config
/usr/src/linux-2.4.18-14/configs/kernel-2.4.18-i386-BOOT.config
/usr/src/linux-2.4.18-14/configs/kernel-2.4.18-i386-smp.config
/usr/src/linux-2.4.18-14/configs/kernel-2.4.18-i386.config
/usr/src/linux-2.4.18-14/configs/kernel-2.4.18-i586-smp.config
/usr/src/linux-2.4.18-14/configs/kernel-2.4.18-i586.config
/usr/src/linux-2.4.18-14/configs/kernel-2.4.18-i686-debug.config
/usr/src/linux-2.4.18-14/configs/kernel-2.4.18-i686-smp.config
/usr/src/linux-2.4.18-14/configs/kernel-2.4.18-i686-uml.config
/usr/src/linux-2.4.18-14/configs/kernel-2.4.18-i686.config
/usr/src/linux-2.4.18-14/configs/kernel-2.4.18-x86_64-smp.config
/usr/src/linux-2.4.18-14/configs/kernel-2.4.18-x86_64.config

Should I use i386.config or i586.config?

      ___     ____
     /__/    /    \
    /  / \  /  /\  \      **** NoSpam email address. Reply at:  ****
   /  /\  \/  /--\  \
  /__/  \____/----\__\    **** perlica - at - yahoo - dot - com ****

Help on Mounting USB mini drive

Post by Dances With Crow » Tue, 25 Mar 2003 02:40:11

On Sun, 23 Mar 2003 08:26:27 +0100, Yvan staggered into the Black Sun
and said:

> Nedavno Dances With Crows pi1e:

>> Redhat's kernel RPMs are always behind the times, but they *are*
>> easier for newbies.  Get yourself a source tarball from
>> ftp://ftp.kernel.org/pub/linux/kernel/v2.4/linux-2.4.20.tar.bz2 ,
>> follow the directions you read in the HOWTO mentioned earlier, and
>> you're set.  It would greatly simplify things for you if you took the
>> .config file from your installed Redhat kernel sources, copied it to
>> the new source tree, and ran "make oldconfig".

> /usr/src/linux-2.4.18-14/configs/kernel-2.4.18-i586.config

That one, or the i386 one... the differences will be minimal, really.
You can actually tell the configuration process to compile a kernel
specifically for the K6-2, but the gains from that will be tiny.  Isn't
Redhat 8.0 kind of slow and bloated for a machine like that, though?
Hope you're not trying to run Nautilus... my advice would be to use KDE
and turn off *all* the eye-candy.  If you can hack it, use Fluxbox
instead.

Post by Yvan » Tue, 25 Mar 2003 04:49:23

Nedavno Dances With Crows pi1e:

| >> It would greatly simplify things for you if you took the
| >> .config file from your installed Redhat kernel sources, copied it to
| >> the new source tree, and ran "make oldconfig".
| >

| > /usr/src/linux-2.4.18-14/configs/kernel-2.4.18-i586.config
|
| That one, or the i386 one... the differences will be minimal, really.
| You can actually tell the configuration process to compile a kernel
| specifically for the K6-2, but the gains from that will be tiny.  Isn't
| Redhat 8.0 kind of slow and bloated for a machine like that, though?

I noticed that it's much slower than 7.3, but I am using antialiasing now. I
think that my 256 MB RAM is enough, and I found that if you are using
Sylpheed Claws, Gentoo file manager, Phoenix... instead their equivalents
that RH provided, things are going OK.

| Hope you're not trying to run Nautilus... my advice would be to use KDE
| and turn off *all* the eye-candy.  If you can hack it, use Fluxbox
| instead.

I have 40 GB HDD, so I installed almost all that come on RH CD's for purpose
of learning how things work. I am mostly using gnome because it starts
faster than KDE, and in period when I was deciding what to use, MPlayer was
able to play DivX movies without (darn, what's the word - English is not my
native language) problems produced by slow CPU :-) Not in KDE, and also
Fluxbox is not much beter than Gnome much in DivX area. Now things are
better, I was able to start four instances of one movie (not in fullscreen)
at once! That is usually not the case, but I can play one movie, and watch
it on my TV, with no problems (enough for me :-)

I got carried away, to get back to compiling kernel. Every attempt I made
ended with "kernel panic". Actually, I do not need (I think :-) newer kernel
(and downloading kernel and kernel sources on dial-up modem connection is
not a good idea), but I would like to be able to make my own. Would I be
able to change things I need after "make oldconfig" (for instance to exclude
PCMCIA - or what's it called - support, as I do not have laptop)?

      ___     ____
     /__/    /    \
    /  / \  /  /\  \      **** NoSpam email address. Reply at:  ****
   /  /\  \/  /--\  \
  /__/  \____/----\__\    **** perlica - at - yahoo - dot - com ****

Help on Mounting USB mini drive

Post by Dances With Crow » Tue, 25 Mar 2003 10:08:26

On Sun, 23 Mar 2003 20:49:23 +0100, Yvan staggered into the Black Sun and said:

Quote:> Nedavno Dances With Crows pi1e:

>> /usr/src/linux-2.4.18-14/configs/kernel-2.4.18-i586.config

>> That one, or the i386 one... the differences will be minimal, really.
>> Isn't Redhat 8.0 kind of slow and bloated for a machine like that,
>> though?

> I noticed that it's much slower than 7.3, but I am using antialiasing
> now. I think that my 256 MB RAM is enough, and I found that if you are
> using Sylpheed Claws, Gentoo file manager, Phoenix... instead their
> equivalents that RH provided, things are going OK.

That's good.

Quote:>> Hope you're not trying to run Nautilus... my advice would be to use
>> KDE and turn off *all* the eye-candy.  If you can hack it, use
>> Fluxbox instead.

> I am mostly using gnome because it starts faster than KDE, and in
> period when I was deciding what to use, MPlayer was able to play DivX
> movies without (darn, what's the word - English is not my native
> language) problems produced by slow CPU :-) Not in KDE,

Strange, I never noticed any speed problems... but then my K6-2 400 is
a headless firewall now and I never even tried to play anything other
than MPEGs on it.  It ran KDE1 reasonably well, but I think it'd *
on KDE3.  (You want real pain?  Try running KDE1 on a P150 with 32M!
Took 40 seconds to start Netscape 4.7....)

Quote:> I got carried away, to get back to compiling kernel. Every attempt I
> made ended with "kernel panic".

This is not good.  You mean, "Every time I tried to run 'make
menuconfig' followed by 'make dep bzImage modules modules_install' , the
currently running kernel panicked before compilation finished", or
"Every time I tried to boot with the new kernel I compiled, I got a
kernel panic early in the boot process"?  The first case is troubling
and usually means bad hardware.  The second case means you put in the
wrong options (IDE disk support, ELF binary support, ext2 filesystem
support should typically be compiled directly into the kernel, not as
modules) and you just have to boot from your old kernel and try again.

Quote:> Actually, I do not need (I think :-) newer kernel (and downloading
> kernel and kernel sources on dial-up modem connection is not a good
> idea), but I would like to be able to make my own. Would I be able to
> change things I need after "make oldconfig" (for instance to exclude
> PCMCIA - or what's it called - support, as I do not have laptop)?

Yes.  "make oldconfig" just scans the old .config file and asks you
interactively about any options that are not in the old file.  After
"make oldconfig" finishes, you can run "make menuconfig" or "make
xconfig" and disable things you don't need.

Brainbench MVP for Linux Admin /
http://www.veryComputer.com/     /  "He is a rhythmic movement of the

Help on Mounting USB mini drive

Post by Merli » Tue, 25 Mar 2003 15:23:38

I am not sure what was the prob.. I just followed the modprobe and the mount
/dev/sda1 /mnt/usb.  For some strange reason, I can access it.  I did not even
need to do the "mkfs" part.

rgds

Post by Yvan » Tue, 25 Mar 2003 23:13:41

Nedavno Dances With Crows pi1e:

| > Every attempt I made ended with "kernel panic".
|
| This is not good.  You mean, "Every time I tried to run 'make
| menuconfig' followed by 'make dep bzImage modules modules_install' , the
| currently running kernel panicked before compilation finished", or
| "Every time I tried to boot with the new kernel I compiled, I got a
| kernel panic early in the boot process"?  The first case is troubling
| and usually means bad hardware.  The second case means you put in the
| wrong options (IDE disk support, ELF binary support, ext2 filesystem
| support should typically be compiled directly into the kernel, not as
| modules) and you just have to boot from your old kernel and try again.

It's "Every time I tried to boot with the new kernel I compiled, I got a
kernel panic early in the boot process". I did try few times, but it seems
that I was always making the same mistake.

| > Actually, I do not need (I think :-) newer kernel (and downloading
| > kernel and kernel sources on dial-up modem connection is not a good
| > idea), but I would like to be able to make my own. Would I be able to
| > change things I need after "make oldconfig" (for instance to exclude
| > PCMCIA - or what's it called - support, as I do not have laptop)?
|
| Yes.  "make oldconfig" just scans the old .config file and asks you
| interactively about any options that are not in the old file.  After
| "make oldconfig" finishes, you can run "make menuconfig" or "make
| xconfig" and disable things you don't need.

OK. Thanks for help. I am going to read some more how-to's, and when I get
some new kernel I will try again.

      ___     ____
     /__/    /    \
    /  / \  /  /\  \      **** NoSpam email address. Reply at:  ****
   /  /\  \/  /--\  \
  /__/  \____/----\__\    **** perlica - at - yahoo - dot - com ****

1. Billion Mini ISDN USB TA 128 - Newbie requires help please

Hi All

I have just installed Mandrake 8.2 as a dual boot with WindozeXP. I have to
say I'm v. impressed with Mandrake, runs like an express train compared to
the XP 'pony and trap' and would drop XP like a hot coal if only I could get
my Internet connection up and running.

My question is does Mandrake 8.2 support my Billion Mini ISDN USB TA 128. If
it does can somebody please send me idiot proof instructions on how to get
it up and running.

Thanks in advance

Neil Curtis

2. ANNOUNCE: LinWiz 1.02 - iptables wizards for linux servers and workstations

3. my mini-linux system wont mount... help me!!!

4. how to remove 'defaultroute' ??

5. Mounting USB drive in FC3

6. Running another QT application

7. How-to mount an usb cdrw drive

8. lpsched crashed on 2.5.1 after adding latest patch

9. Sun Solaris USB Flash Drive mount command (scsa2usb driver)

10. mount USB flash drive on Unix

11. USB pen drive mounting as read-only

12. Mounting USB drive on Linux

13. can hotplug mount USB flash drive automatically?