IBM Internet Connection vs. Linux (kppp)

IBM Internet Connection vs. Linux (kppp)

Post by Kyler Lai » Wed, 04 Aug 1999 04:00:00

I've been using IBM as a dialup provider for years,
but I only use it when I'm on the road.  (At home
I use ADSL/ISDN/cable IP.)  Today I was trying to
use it (after successfully using it last week) and
found that kppp kept dying right after connecting.

Sometimes this happens when someone else is using
my account.  (I let a friend use it sometimes.)
It persisted, though, so I called IBM for help.  I
was finally (after long waits) told that no one
else was using it and that the reason I could not
login was that I was using Linux.

The support person told me that they'd changed
their DNS server and that it caused manually-
configured systems to be unable to login.  I told
her I don't care about her DNS servers (I use my
own.) and would like to speak with someone who
knows more about PPP.  She told me that everyone
else would say the same thing and that all she
could do is send me Linux connection info.

Grrrrr...

So, I decided to stop using kppp because I was
not able to get any useful diagnostics from it.
(Yes, I had debug/kdebug on.)  I made all of the
config files for plain pppd and I was able to
connect without a hitch.  (And, no, I'm still
not using IBM's DNS.)

So...what gives?  What did IBM do to break kppp
and why won't they just tell us?  Their Linux
PPP setup document
        http://help.ibm.net/helplib/linuxp.html
was last updated in February, so it doesn't
offer any help.

I like having the command-line PPP dialup
working, but kppp was pretty cool.

Thanks.

--kyler

Post by Bob Marti » Thu, 05 Aug 1999 04:00:00

> I've been using IBM as a dialup provider for years,
> but I only use it when I'm on the road.  (At home
> I use ADSL/ISDN/cable IP.)  Today I was trying to
> use it (after successfully using it last week) and
> found that kppp kept dying right after connecting.

> Sometimes this happens when someone else is using
> my account.  (I let a friend use it sometimes.)
> It persisted, though, so I called IBM for help.  I
> was finally (after long waits) told that no one
> else was using it and that the reason I could not
> login was that I was using Linux.

> The support person told me that they'd changed
> their DNS server and that it caused manually-
> configured systems to be unable to login.  I told
> her I don't care about her DNS servers (I use my
> own.) and would like to speak with someone who
> knows more about PPP.  She told me that everyone
> else would say the same thing and that all she
> could do is send me Linux connection info.

> Grrrrr...

> So, I decided to stop using kppp because I was
> not able to get any useful diagnostics from it.
> (Yes, I had debug/kdebug on.)  I made all of the
> config files for plain pppd and I was able to
> connect without a hitch.  (And, no, I'm still
> not using IBM's DNS.)

> So...what gives?  What did IBM do to break kppp
> and why won't they just tell us?  Their Linux
> PPP setup document
>         http://help.ibm.net/helplib/linuxp.html
> was last updated in February, so it doesn't
> offer any help.

> I like having the command-line PPP dialup
> working, but kppp was pretty cool.

> Thanks.

> --kyler

Sounds like the kppp is buggy from what people have been posting, it's
hard to tell as I have never used it. I just edit the config files from
the command line and run a chat script to connect. No problem unless the
ISP is having problems, router went down and couldn't get past the
dialup server.

Post by nobod » Thu, 05 Aug 1999 04:00:00

> I've been using IBM as a dialup provider for years,
> but I only use it when I'm on the road.  (At home
> I use ADSL/ISDN/cable IP.)  Today I was trying to
> use it (after successfully using it last week) and
> found that kppp kept dying right after connecting.

> Sometimes this happens when someone else is using
> my account.  (I let a friend use it sometimes.)
> It persisted, though, so I called IBM for help.  I
> was finally (after long waits) told that no one
> else was using it and that the reason I could not
> login was that I was using Linux.

> The support person told me that they'd changed
> their DNS server and that it caused manually-
> configured systems to be unable to login.  I told
> her I don't care about her DNS servers (I use my
> own.) and would like to speak with someone who
> knows more about PPP.  She told me that everyone
> else would say the same thing and that all she
> could do is send me Linux connection info.

> Grrrrr...

> So, I decided to stop using kppp because I was
> not able to get any useful diagnostics from it.
> (Yes, I had debug/kdebug on.)  I made all of the
> config files for plain pppd and I was able to
> connect without a hitch.  (And, no, I'm still
> not using IBM's DNS.)

> So...what gives?  What did IBM do to break kppp
> and why won't they just tell us?  Their Linux
> PPP setup document
>         http://help.ibm.net/helplib/linuxp.html
> was last updated in February, so it doesn't
> offer any help.

> I like having the command-line PPP dialup
> working, but kppp was pretty cool.

> Thanks.

> --kyler

Try to use latest version of kppp ...  I've similar problem with older
version of kppp with PAP before!

1. Help needed with internet connection and Red-Hat-Linux 6.2 using kppp

Hi folks,

I have a problem connecting to my internet-provider using kppp (from kde2)
on Red-Hat-Linux 6.2.
I did the following:
1.) I Created an account with kppp where I entered the phone number of my
provider (t-online) ,and the DNS.
2.) I also entered information into kppp about my login-id and my password.

You can assume the information I entered in 1.) and 2.) is correct.

When trying to connect, it seems there is some trouble with pppd. I get
error message no. 16, which (according to the pppd-manpage) says "The link
was terminated by the modem hanging up".

I also tried wvdial. I created a config-file with wvdialconfig before, and
entered additional information about phone number, user-id and password into
the file.
When running wvdial, it tells me there is "no carrier".

Unfortunately, I dont now much about networking.
So thanks for any help.

Thomas

2. CU-SeeME Reflector for Linux

3. Internet connection of Linux to IBM provider.

4. how safe is minix filesys

5. IBM Internet Connection and Linux

6. ufsdump command

7. KDE/KPPP and IBM-Internet

8. Shared Library error whilst invoking Oracle, sql and svrmgrl

9. Internet connection Fail KPPP

10. Problem with my configuration (Modem and Internet Connection - Kppp....Netscape)

11. help: kppp successful but no internet connection

12. Internet connection using KPPP

13. Can't get KPPP to work for dial-up Internet connection...