Problems with low memory install

Post by Chang Eric Y (2 » Sat, 20 May 1995 04:00:00

Hi.  I am having problems installing Linux on a Compaq 386/25 Deskpro
with 3 MB.  I want to just get a trial version running before I go out
and buy more memory.  When I boot the system, I enter:

mount=/dev/fd1

to use a blank 3.5" diskette in drive b: as the ramdrive.  Is this
correct?  The boot is successful, but the root install (second floppy)
fails with a UMSDOS info line (not an error message, the system hangs).
Thanks in advance for any help.

By the way, I am using a Future Domain 830 SCSI card and it says it
is not recognized.  It is in the hardware list as being recognized, though.
Do I need to patch something or add something to the install?  Thanks, Eric

1. Low-memory install: Cannot allocate memory at startup!

Argh!  So close!

I'm installing Debian because it is the only one I've seen that even talks
about machines with 4M of ram.
This is an old, Ascentia 800N laptop, 4M ram, something round 512M
hard-drive.

Partitions are 300+M Linux native, 2M minix for temp install, and 82M+  for
Linux swap.

Using the Debian low-mem install.  All goes well until booting from the
harddrive.  I avoid installing any new modules.
Several messages appear during startup, exclaiming they cannot allocate
memory.
modprobe complains its out of memory
grep complains about memory
libc.so.6: cannot map zero-fill pages: cannot allocate memory

Argh!  Has anybody managed to pull this off?  Do you have any pointers?
I'll trade Shiner Bock for some good hints (srma)!

-s

2. Epson C80 Printer Problems RH_7.3

3. Low Memory Problem Installing Linux

4. .h files

5. Low memory install problem

6. Level 5 to Level 3

7. Low memory RedHat install, how?

8. chroot && chdir

9. Installing w/low memory? (Red Hat)

10. Need help installing slackware w/ low memory

11. RedHat 5.2 install hangs on low memory (8MB) PC

12. Low Memory Slackware Install

13. Low memory Red Hat install, how? -- InfoMagic broken