latest version of libc?

Post by the lone gunm » Thu, 24 Jul 1997 04:00:00

What is the latest version of libc?

Also, how do I upgrade libc?  Is it as simple as putting the compiled
libc and libm files in the /lib dir and updating the links?

thanks

latest version of libc?

Post by Frank Sweetse » Thu, 24 Jul 1997 04:00:00

Quote:> What is the latest version of libc?

> Also, how do I upgrade libc?  Is it as simple as putting the compiled
> libc and libm files in the /lib dir and updating the links?

It depends....

first of, libc is *not* a trivial piece of your system.  if you mess up on
the upgrade, trashing libc is one of the few things that could really
require a full re-install if you don't have complete rescue disks ready.
Unless there's something that requries a newer version of libc, or you're
willing to take that risk, I would just leave it alone for now.

That said, look at ftp://tsx-11.mit.edu/pub/linux/packages/GCC  There's
both source and binary distributions there for libc5, the latest version of
which is 5.4.35.  The source should compile out of the box for you.  In any
case, make sure you read the release notes, as they tell you what version
of the various tools you need, etc etc...

Or, if you have redhat installed, take a look at
ftp.redhat.com/put/contrib, there's rpm and srpm's there for libc5.4.35 as
well.

--
Windows: I can play Doom!              |RedHat Linux 2.0.31pre-2 i486
Linux: I can be a file server, be a Web|Because reboots are for upgrades!

latest version of libc?

Post by Jon Sundquis » Fri, 25 Jul 1997 04:00:00

> What is the latest version of libc?

> Also, how do I upgrade libc?  Is it as simple as putting the compiled
> libc and libm files in the /lib dir and updating the links?

I guess this is a classic RTFM!

ftp://sunsite.unc.edu/pub/Linux/GCC/release.libc-5.4.33

Jon S.

latest version of libc?

Post by Brian McCaule » Mon, 28 Jul 1997 04:00:00

Quote:> What is the latest version of libc?

Look on the FTP sites.  (Any other answer could be out of date.)

libc 6 is still considered experimental.  Get the latest libc 5 (and
the latest libc 4 if you run a.out binaries).

Quote:> Also, how do I upgrade libc?  Is it as simple as putting the compiled
> libc and libm files in the /lib dir and updating the links?

More or less but you absolutely *must* read the release notes.

1. Q: How do I get from the latest stable kernel version to the latest prepatch version ?

Thanks.
It just struck me odd that the latest is 2.4.2 while the prepatches were
2.4.3 so I figured there must be something I missed in between (my logic
told me that a 2.4.3 patch would be against a 2.4.3 something ;-).

BTW, I haven't seen any announcements from Linus in this mailing list
regarding new versions, just the updates on the web site and Alan's release
notes saying he's merging with 2.4.3xx. Are those announcements being posted
somewhere else now ?

2. Wireless LAN close but not cigar (long)

3. Latest libc manual version ?

4. vi editor and other questions

5. intel e1000 driver, why is the latest version 6.2.15 not in the latest kernel?

6. Veritas Netbackup v3.4 and Solaris upgrades

7. which xntp (solaris version or the latest version) should be used

8. Adaptec 174X Drivers ???

9. Need Latest Version of Linux CD-ROM Version

10. buglet in xc version xc+rz (latest version)

11. libc.a and libc.so, libc.so.1libc.so.2, where is my library?

12. libc 2.x, libc 5, libc 6

13. How to make the latest libc-lite?