Creating DNS entry

Post by Jeff Williamso » Fri, 09 Nov 2001 06:20:30

Here's a simple question--I hope.

I have a registered domain name (through Domain Bank) and a static IP.
How do I get my domain name to point to my IP?
Is this something that my domain name provider has to do, or can I do it
myself and save the $25.00 charge?

Creating DNS entry

Post by D. Stimit » Fri, 09 Nov 2001 07:25:22

> Here's a simple question--I hope.

> I have a registered domain name (through Domain Bank) and a static IP.
> How do I get my domain name to point to my IP?
> Is this something that my domain name provider has to do, or can I do it
> myself and save the $25.00 charge?

I think you'll need to pay the charge, or else any change you make will
be visible only on the machine you change.

Creating DNS entry

Post by Stewart Honsberg » Fri, 09 Nov 2001 08:36:47

>I have a registered domain name (through Domain Bank) and a static IP.
>How do I get my domain name to point to my IP?

You tell InterNIC to point to the IP address of a name server that's
'authoritative' on your domain.

Quote:>Is this something that my domain name provider has to do, or can I do it
>myself and save the $25.00 charge?

Do you have a static IP? If so, setup BIND (http://www.isc.org/products/BIND/)
and associate your domain with your IP address.

--

Creating DNS entry

Post by Jeff Williamso » Sat, 10 Nov 2001 01:28:22

Thanks for replying.
Do you know where I find out how to setup Bind to associate my domain
with my IP address?

Post by Stewart Honsberg » Sat, 10 Nov 2001 03:20:09

>Thanks for replying.
>Do you know where I find out how to setup Bind to associate my domain
>with my IP address?

Head on over to Google (http://www.google.com/) and search for "DNS-HOWTO".
First result it came back with was this;

http://www.linuxdoc.org/HOWTO/DNS-HOWTO.html

That's the one I used when initially learning BIND. If it doesn't go into
enough detail, read more of them, and perhaps pick up the BIND book by
O'Reily for more details.

--

1. Permission denied when creating DNS journal entries...

Hi,

In our setup, DHCP is served by our Linksys router. I am trying to
configure a Fedora box (hostname einstein) to act as a DNS server.

It appears the DNS functionality is working okay. Other computers on
the network can point to this Fedora machine as the DNS server and are
able to resolve dns names.

What is not working is the dynamic update of DNS records.

To test the setup, I run "ipconfig /renew" from a Windows client
(hostname newton). Here are the entries from /var/log/messages:

Aug 13 02:36:15 einstein named[2505]: client 192.168.15.108#1256:
updating zone 'mycompany.com/IN': deleting rrset at
'newton.mycompany.com' A
Aug 13 02:36:15 einstein named[2505]: client 192.168.15.108#1256:
updating zone mycompany.com/IN': adding an RR at 'newton.mycompany.com'
Aug 13 02:36:15 einstein named[2505]: journal file mycompany.zone.jnl
does not exist, creating it
Aug 13 02:36:15 einstein named[2505]: mycompany.zone.jnl: create:
permission denied
Aug 13 02:36:15 einstein named[2505]: client 192.168.15.108#1256:
updating zone 'mycompany.com/IN': error: journal open failed:
unexpected error

I tried the following commands:
chown named:named /var/named
chown named:named /var/named/*
chmod 777 /var/named
chmod 777 /var/named/*

However, the problem still does not go away.

I also tried the following but it doesn't work:
chown root:root /var/named
chown root:root /var/named/*
chmod 777 /var/named
chmod 777 /var/named/*

Can someone please tell me what am I missing?

Thank you in advance for your help.

Pradeep

2. qic-20 support

3. ddclient to update dynamic DNS entries at a dynamic DNS service

4. Time to bitc__ again

5. too many entries too many entries too mant entries in the KDE menu

6. XFree86 and the Intel i740 chipset

7. HELP need hints on creating /proc entry

8. New: panic at scsi_io_completion+0x171/0x480 (NULL pointer deref)

9. How to create a directory entry for inode XXXXX

10. catman doesn't create valid windex entries for Perl extension pages

11. Creating a new termcap entry with tic

12. LDAP - how do I create his directory entry???

13. How can I create 2 printcap entries for one phyisical printer?