cd burning

Post by Travis Kid » Fri, 17 Sep 1999 04:00:00

I am considering buying a new PII 400 with Linux OS, but I work with a
lot of .wav and other music oriented files and with recording apps.  I
also use CD Creator with a Phillips CDD2600 CD-R.  Should I stay away
from Linux or are there music resourses out there?  I have been
interested in trying it for a while, But I don't really see any
advantages yet?

Any suggestions?

Thanks,
Travis

--
Check out my web site at http://www.travis.kidd.net

cd burning

Post by Michel Catuda » Thu, 07 Oct 1999 04:00:00

> I am considering buying a new PII 400 with Linux OS, but I work with a
> lot of .wav and other music oriented files and with recording apps.  I
> also use CD Creator with a Phillips CDD2600 CD-R.  Should I stay away
> from Linux or are there music resourses out there?  I have been
> interested in trying it for a while, But I don't really see any
> advantages yet?

My experience has been that recording under Linux is less of a pain. As for
CD toast software all the documentation says that Linux only support SCSI
devices but this isn't entirely true as you can make the system believe that
it's dealing with a SCSI device even if your CD writer is an IDE device.

--
Tann du plantage avec Ti-Mou?
C'est l'temps d'essayer Linux

cd burning

Post by Andres Sool » Fri, 08 Oct 1999 04:00:00

> CD toast software all the documentation says that Linux only support SCSI
> devices but this isn't entirely true as you can make the system believe that
> it's dealing with a SCSI device even if your CD writer is an IDE device.

This requires your CD writer supports ATAPI.
Non-ATAPI IDE CD writers cannot emulate SCSI.
Luckily, there aren't many non-ATAPI IDE CD writers around these days.

--

Below you can see an invisible tagline.

1. CD burning issues under redhat with all burning applications

As a complete newbie could anybody out there give a little help.

I'm trying to burn a CD and regardless of the application I use I get
some error or another, the I error I get depends on the APP. I have
read so much re this issue but just can't seem to resolve it.

I have a twin processor DELL Precision 220 with a CD player and a
second CD recorder drive. Both CD's work and are able to read files
held on CD's, however if I place a music CD in the drives I only get
sound out from the none recorder, this I think this is the final clue
to my problem.

If I execute the following

eject /dev/hdc

The top CD draw does as expected, I can't find any letter to open the
CD recorder draw.

The following command gives me:
cdrecord -scanbus
Cdrecord 1.10 (i686-pc-linux-gnu) Copyright (C) 1995-2001 J?rg
Schilling
Linux sg driver version: 3.1.24
Using libscg version 'schily-0.5'
scsibus0:
        0,0,0     0) 'LITE-ON ' 'LTR-24102M      ' '4DS2' Removable
CD-ROM
        0,1,0     1) *
        0,2,0     2) *
        0,3,0     3) *
        0,4,0     4) *
        0,5,0     5) *
        0,6,0     6) *
        0,7,0     7) *

When I look in my  lilo.conf.anaconda I get

cat lilo.conf.anaconda
prompt
timeout=50
default=linux
boot=/dev/hda
map=/boot/map
install=/boot/boot.b
message=/boot/message
linear

image=/boot/vmlinuz-2.4.18-14smp
        label=linux
        initrd=/boot/initrd-2.4.18-14smp.img
        read-only
        append="hdd=ide-scsi root=LABEL=/"

image=/boot/vmlinuz-2.4.18-14
        label=linux-up
        initrd=/boot/initrd-2.4.18-14.img
        read-only
        append="hdd=ide-scsi root=LABEL=/"

other=/dev/hda1
        optional
        label=DOS

Most of the stuff I have seen suggests I should have the following:

append="hdc=ide-scsi"

added to the end of my lilo.conf.anaconda file but as you can see
similar lines already exists do I still need to add it and if so what
letter do I use in stead of C as that is already used? (the obvious
would be D!) If I don't need that line are there anyother things I
should be doing?

Please feel free to contact me direct and if I get a resolution I post
it back up on the news group.

Thanks

Antony

2. uda50 delay settings

3. Audio CD burning with HP CD-Writer

4. IP Alias Nightmare

5. CD burning: combination CDs

6. applixware and kernel 2.4

7. CD Burning SCO Unix with SCSI CD-R

8. Patching kernels

9. Question about DMA and cd burning.

10. LinuxPPC and cd burning

11. CD burning problem

12. cd burning woes

13. whats the best CD burning software for linux?