better looking fonts

Post by yft » Wed, 14 Oct 1998 04:00:00

Hi

I've just installed RedHat Linux 5.1 (Manhattan) and just been playing
around with the shell and Netscape (like one does). I've noticed that the
fonts are very "rough" around the edges, especially with netscape. I've
tried to change the font settings but I get the same rough results. Is there
anyway to smooth them?

Thanks in advance.

Jon

better looking fonts

Post by Rod Smi » Thu, 15 Oct 1998 04:00:00

[Posted and mailed]

Quote:> Hi

> I've just installed RedHat Linux 5.1 (Manhattan) and just been playing
> around with the shell and Netscape (like one does). I've noticed that the
> fonts are very "rough" around the edges, especially with netscape. I've
> tried to change the font settings but I get the same rough results. Is there
> anyway to smooth them?

Unfortunately, font handling in Linux isn't nearly as easy for the
user/administrator as it is in Windows, MacOS, or OS/2.  The "roughness"
you see could be due to one of two things (they actually produce different
effects, but both could be described as you did):

1) An attempt to scale a non-bitmapped font.  This will produce a "chunky"
   font that may look as if the display were at a lower resolution than it
   actually is.  This situation can be remedied by substituting scaleable
   Adobe Type 1, TrueType, or other fonts for some of the bitmapped fonts
   that will otherwise be used by default.
2) Lack of "font smoothing" (aka "anti-aliasing") in X.  Recent versions
   of Windows implement this technology, which substitutes shades of grey
   along certain edges in fonts to make them look smoother (or, depending
   upon the font size, screen resolution, your eyesight, etc., blurrier).
   AFAIK, there's no way around this problem at the time, since X handles
   the display of fonts via 2-color bitmaps, so there's no room for shades
   of grey.

If you think the problem is #1, the simplest solution may be to specify
different fonts.  Make sure you've got scaleable fonts installed with
your X server, and try selecting other fonts until you find something you
like.  You can also try adding new scaleable fonts and/or substituting
scaleable fonts for bitmapped fonts.  This will require editing the
fonts.dir and/or fonts.scale files in a font directory (and it may be
helpful to add such a directory to your fontpath in the XF86Config file)
and adding appropriate files to the directory.  The details are well
beyond the scope of a newsgroup posting.  Some tips may be found in a
document I wrote about adding fonts to ApplixWare:

http://www.users.fast.net/~rodsmith/fonts.html

Some of this information won't be useful for other applications, of
course, but some will.  If you need more information, there are assorted
fonts FAQs on the net.  Try searching appropriate directories on
ftp://rtfm.mit.edu.

--
Rod Smith

http://www.users.fast.net/~rodsmith
NOTE: Remove the digit and following word from my address to mail me

better looking fonts

Post by Douglas Bagget » Thu, 15 Oct 1998 04:00:00

xfstt the true type font server solved my problem nicely
with netscape. The ugly fonts in netscape was one of the
first things I noticed when I got it up and running for the first
time.

I can't remember the site but xfstt can be found at
www.freshmeat.net

> Hi

> I've just installed RedHat Linux 5.1 (Manhattan) and just been playing
> around with the shell and Netscape (like one does). I've noticed that the
> fonts are very "rough" around the edges, especially with netscape. I've
> tried to change the font settings but I get the same rough results. Is there
> anyway to smooth them?

> Thanks in advance.

> Jon

better looking fonts

Post by Holger Marz » Wed, 04 Nov 1998 04:00:00

>Hi

>I've just installed RedHat Linux 5.1 (Manhattan) and just been playing
>around with the shell and Netscape (like one does). I've noticed that the
>fonts are very "rough" around the edges, especially with netscape. I've
>tried to change the font settings but I get the same rough results. Is there
>anyway to smooth them?

Look at your ......XF86Config
It's usually in /etc but maybe RedHat puts it somewhere in /usr/X11R6
The pixel fonts should first be mentioned with ':unscaled', then the
scalable fonts (type1) and then the pixel fonts again without
':unscaled':

Section "Files"
   RgbPath    "/usr/X11R6/lib/X11/rgb"
   FontPath   "/usr/X11R6/lib/X11/fonts/misc/"
   FontPath   "/usr/X11R6/lib/X11/fonts/75dpi/:unscaled"
   FontPath   "/usr/X11R6/lib/X11/fonts/100dpi/:unscaled"
   FontPath   "/usr/X11R6/lib/X11/fonts/Type1/"
   FontPath   "/usr/X11R6/lib/X11/fonts/freefont/"
   FontPath   "/usr/X11R6/lib/X11/fonts/Speedo/"
   FontPath   "unix/:7100"
   FontPath   "/usr/X11R6/lib/X11/fonts/75dpi/"
   FontPath   "/usr/X11R6/lib/X11/fonts/100dpi/"
EndSection

The unix:/7100 is for xfstt, a fontserver for TrueType fonts. Maybe you
like them. You can use your Windows fonts there.