Linux RAID

Post by Jaroslaw Sowinsk » Mon, 03 Jun 2002 22:19:08

Hi,
on my PC there are two HD's connected to a Highpoint HPT370A
raid-controller. I've installed Win98 and Linux on this machine. The HD's
works in raid 1 mode ( mirroring ). First I installed Redhat 7.2, which
supported he raid-controller after downloading a patch from the Highpoint
site. The problem was, that I've had problems to get other komponents to
work. So I installed Suse 8. With Suse all other komponents works, but no
raid. I've compiled a new kernel without HPT370-ide support and appended the
required options to Lilo. Now linux finds the HD's but I get "hda: lost
interrupt" error messages on boot and the boot sequence doesn't go on. I've
red in some NG that the HPT370 isn't a real hardware-raid but a
software-raid. But it's the same for me. I need the controller to work
proper with linux as with windows.
Now my questions:
- Anybody any idea how to get the controller to work supporting the raid
mode ?
- Any idea about the "lost interrupt" error ?
- Does anybody know if Redhat 7.3 supports the raid functionality of the
HPT370 ?
- Does anybody get a current linux distribution to work with this controller
?

Tnx,

Jaroslaw

Linux RAID

Post by Tom » Tue, 04 Jun 2002 04:38:52

I know this might not answer your question, but I think raid 1 is software
only if I'm not mistaken.

Quote:> Hi,
> on my PC there are two HD's connected to a Highpoint HPT370A
> raid-controller. I've installed Win98 and Linux on this machine. The HD's
> works in raid 1 mode ( mirroring ). First I installed Redhat 7.2, which
> supported he raid-controller after downloading a patch from the Highpoint
> site. The problem was, that I've had problems to get other komponents to
> work. So I installed Suse 8. With Suse all other komponents works, but no
> raid. I've compiled a new kernel without HPT370-ide support and appended
the
> required options to Lilo. Now linux finds the HD's but I get "hda: lost
> interrupt" error messages on boot and the boot sequence doesn't go on.
I've
> red in some NG that the HPT370 isn't a real hardware-raid but a
> software-raid. But it's the same for me. I need the controller to work
> proper with linux as with windows.
> Now my questions:
> - Anybody any idea how to get the controller to work supporting the raid
> mode ?
> - Any idea about the "lost interrupt" error ?
> - Does anybody know if Redhat 7.3 supports the raid functionality of the
> HPT370 ?
> - Does anybody get a current linux distribution to work with this
controller
> ?

> Tnx,

> Jaroslaw

Linux RAID

Post by mooni » Tue, 04 Jun 2002 09:26:59

> I know this might not answer your question, but I think raid 1 is software
> only if I'm not mistaken.

>> Hi,
>> on my PC there are two HD's connected to a Highpoint HPT370A
>> raid-controller. I've installed Win98 and Linux on this machine. The HD's
>> works in raid 1 mode ( mirroring ). First I installed Redhat 7.2, which
>> supported he raid-controller after downloading a patch from the Highpoint
>> site. The problem was, that I've had problems to get other komponents to
>> work. So I installed Suse 8. With Suse all other komponents works, but no
>> raid. I've compiled a new kernel without HPT370-ide support and appended
> the
>> required options to Lilo. Now linux finds the HD's but I get "hda: lost
>> interrupt" error messages on boot and the boot sequence doesn't go on.
> I've
>> red in some NG that the HPT370 isn't a real hardware-raid but a
>> software-raid. But it's the same for me. I need the controller to work
>> proper with linux as with windows.
>> Now my questions:
>> - Anybody any idea how to get the controller to work supporting the raid
>> mode ?
>> - Any idea about the "lost interrupt" error ?
>> - Does anybody know if Redhat 7.3 supports the raid functionality of the
>> HPT370 ?
>> - Does anybody get a current linux distribution to work with this
> controller
>> ?

>> Tnx,

>> Jaroslaw

Actually ALL RAID on this board is software RAID.  The driver for this board
allows you to use the IDE capabilities of this controller NOT the RAID
capabilities (because it is software RAID). However you can set up Linux
software RAID to work with it.
--
moonie ;)

Registered Linux User #175104

1. Fibre Channel on Linux (RAID) Driver ?

Hi,

anyone have some experience in deploy a  Fibre channel
RAID on linux ?
I read about ICP-vortex etc etc.. I just want to lissen some real.
living experience.
And Anybody try to read the same disks FC from two different linux
servers ? Cluster ...
Any help will be, redistribute after ...

THANK you .....

--
Marco BANO
Network administrator Consultant

Office : ++49 6151 807536

2. sound works as root but not normal user

3. Linux RAID-5 Problem w/ raidtools-0.90??

4. Sharing drive array between two Solaris servers

5. Linux Raid problem

6. Looking For Product!!!

7. Linux RAID/STRIPE SET INFO PLEASE

8. X server