Help Can Win95 see Linux

Post by TERRY HOF » Sat, 01 Jun 1996 04:00:00

Is there a way for Windows 95 to see my Linux server?

I'm going to setup about 30 win95 stations in a new class room. In the
past we used Netware on the server, but I'd like to do the same thing
with Linux based server.

How hard or impossible will it be to do remote printing?

I just received the new Caldera version. If that helps.

Thanks

Help Can Win95 see Linux

Post by Robert Hell » Mon, 03 Jun 1996 04:00:00

  In a message on Fri, 31 May 96 20:41:00 -0800, wrote :

TH> Is there a way for Windows 95 to see my Linux server?
TH>
TH> I'm going to setup about 30 win95 stations in a new class room. In the
TH> past we used Netware on the server, but I'd like to do the same thing
TH> with Linux based server.

All Win95 needs to be able to do is speak Tcp/Ip and NFS.  You can export the
Linux file systems with NFS (be sure to put the right stuff in /etc/exports,
and edit /etc/rc.d/rc.inet2 to fire up rcp and nfs).

TH> How hard or impossible will it be to do remote printing?

If Win95 speaks Tcp/Ip and has the properly clients for UNIX-style remote
printing (port 515/tcp ? ), you should be all set, but I know very little
about this.

--
                                     \/

http://vis-www.cs.umass.edu/~heller  ||FidoNet:    1:321/153
http://netmar.com/mall/shops/heller  /\

Help Can Win95 see Linux

Post by Balam A. Willems » Fri, 07 Jun 1996 04:00:00

>  In a message on Fri, 31 May 96 20:41:00 -0800, wrote :
>TH> Is there a way for Windows 95 to see my Linux server?
>TH> I'm going to setup about 30 win95 stations in a new class room. In the
>TH> past we used Netware on the server, but I'd like to do the same thing
>TH> with Linux based server.
>All Win95 needs to be able to do is speak Tcp/Ip and NFS.  You can export the
>Linux file systems with NFS (be sure to put the right stuff in /etc/exports,
>and edit /etc/rc.d/rc.inet2 to fire up rcp and nfs).

Why bother?!? It is FAR easier to sun samba on the linux box, and make it
look like a 95/NT server! It can still use NFS to serve other Unix boxes.
This way you can easily use disks and printers on the Linux box, without
having to install anything on the Win 95 boxes that did not already come
with 95.

In my experience most of the NFS/LPR implementations out there are much
more difficult to set up, and ultimately don't work as well, as
Microsoft's NetBIOS over TCP/IP. This functionality is built in to 95 and
NT and readily available for WfWG 3.11!

Come get more information in comp.protocols.smb.

Balam
Balam A. Willemsen            (http://sagar.physics.neu.edu/balam.html)
Research Associate, Physics Dept., Northeastern Univ., Boston, MA 02115

1. A little newbie help... seeing Win95 shares in Linux

I have a Win95 box and a Linux box ethernetted together.  I have Samba up and
running on Linux and I can share the Samba shares from Win95 with no problem.
When I try to access one of the shares on the Win95 box from the Linux box, I
get a message that RPC can't make a connection.

This is when trying "mount -t nfs win95box:/c /mnt/win95box/c".  Is that right?
I've tried "smbclient \\win95box\c" in just about every syntax I can and
smbclient always tells me there aren't enough "\" in the parameter.  How many do
I need to put in and where?

I checked out "man rpc", which tells me to run "rpc client foo bar" to engage
the RPC client.  Okay, but... the executable "rpc" is in my /sbin/init.d
directory, and its only options are "rpc start" and "rpc stop", and it doesn't
seem to help.

Any hints?

--------------------
Shade and sweet water,

"A small bullet, a piece of glass /
 And your heart just grows around it" -- Laurie Anderson, "Poison"

2. Can't connect to Samba on Freebsd4!

3. //HELP// Seeing Linux under DOS/Win95 ??

4. lp headaches

5. HELP: Win95 Sees CD, Linux hangs waiting for CD ready when booting.

6. Q: AM53C974 PCI SCSI controller

7. Win95 sees Linux as a ROM?

8. Cannot boot NT w/ Lilo

9. Seeing Win95 long filenames from Linux...?

10. Problems seeing linux machine from win95

11. Win95 sees linux partition as cdrom

12. Win95 seeing a networked modem on a Linux box

13. Serial modem not found by Linux (win95 sees it)