Help for an absolute Linux Beginner

Post by Marco Wue » Mon, 18 Mar 1996 04:00:00

Hello,

I'm a beginner of Linux.
I search a bootmanager for Linux/Windows95 and a COBOL compiler.
And where is the great software that I MUST have in the net?

Thank's a lot for your anser.

Marco Wuest,

Post by Rhys Thury » Mon, 25 Mar 1996 04:00:00

: Hello,

: I'm a beginner of Linux.
: I search a bootmanager for Linux/Windows95 and a COBOL compiler.
: And where is the great software that I MUST have in the net?

I don't know if there is a COBOL compiler for Linux, but Linux comes
(usually) with LILO (the LInux LOader).  It's a great boot manager for
Intel/x86 systems.

--
"My doctor told me to stop having intimate dinners for four, unless there
are three other people."

Help for an absolute Linux Beginner

Post by Martin Moerm » Tue, 02 Apr 1996 04:00:00

I use the bootmanager of OS/2 to manage a linux and windows 95 partition...

Martin.

: : Hello,

: : I'm a beginner of Linux.
: : I search a bootmanager for Linux/Windows95 and a COBOL compiler.
: : And where is the great software that I MUST have in the net?

: I don't know if there is a COBOL compiler for Linux, but Linux comes
: (usually) with LILO (the LInux LOader).  It's a great boot manager for
: Intel/x86 systems.

: --
: "My doctor told me to stop having intimate dinners for four, unless there
: are three other people."
:       --Orson Welles

1. Help me, please - I′m an absolute beginner (but not D.Bowie, unfortunately)

Hi,

Im fed up with the Gates-user-torturing-arsenal called Win95 and have
decided to change to another, real open OS. Friends of mine hinted me Linux
to be the only existing alternative - but they know as much about it as I
do: nothing.

So Id be very delighted, if someone would grant me a little help.

First of all, are there to expect any hardware conflicts or missing driver
support on my system:

Intel Pentium 166 MMX
Asus TXP4-X
2* 32MB SDRAM
IBM DHEA 36480 (Deskstar EIDE, Ultra-DMA 33)
Toshiba XM-6102B ATAPI-CDROM
SB 16, PnP, nonIDE
Diamond Viper V 330, nVidia, RIVA128

And, for the second and last, will I be able to use my WinGDI-Printer
Lexmark ColorJetPrinter 7000 with Linux?

Thanks for the highly expected answers and a happy new year

Florian

2. Knotes - hidden

3. Apache Rewrite rule for port forwarding -- Absolute mod_rewite beginner needs help..

4. Restricted CDE Session

5. Absolute Beginner

6. Problem with Network: frequent Pauses. Why? HELP!!

7. Absolute beginner needs HEEEEELP!!!

8. usbscanner and devfs

9. Absolute Beginner with Edge 3D

10. Absolute hopeless beginner stuff

11. Absolute beginner question. Hard disks.

12. dialog - absolute beginner problems

13. USB printer problem for an absolute beginner