Is Star Office 3.1 a good program?

Post by Paul Low » Wed, 10 Sep 1997 04:00:00

For those of you that have used it, I was wondering if you could give me
a web site that talks about it, or tell me what it is like -- or if it's
good or bad. I am very interested in it because I have heard of versions
of it for Windows 95, OS/2 Warp, and Linux. Someone please help me.

Thanks,

Paul Lowe

http://www.cwo.com/~paull

--
/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\
\                                        /

Post by Gisbert Berge » Thu, 11 Sep 1997 04:00:00

> For those of you that have used it, I was wondering if you could give me
> a web site that talks about it, or tell me what it is like -- or if it's
> good or bad. I am very interested in it because I have heard of versions
> of it for Windows 95, OS/2 Warp, and Linux. Someone please help me.

Have a look at:

http://www.stardivision.de

and

http://www.stardivision.de/staroffice/linux/index.html

staroffice is free for private use. I think it is good (better than
windows-emulation
and windows word processor). It has some bugs, is very big (complete 65
MB installed,
 if you installs all applications) but it works, reads (and writes) many
formats
(winword 6.0, Html etc.).

Have fun.

GB

Post by James Tappi » Thu, 11 Sep 1997 04:00:00

> For those of you that have used it, I was wondering if you could give me
> a web site that talks about it, or tell me what it is like -- or if it's
> good or bad. I am very interested in it because I have heard of versions
> of it for Windows 95, OS/2 Warp, and Linux. Someone please help me.

[SNIP SIG]

The web site is http://www.stardivision.com/

I tried it under Linux and eventually gave up.

On the plus side it is a very powerful package. The capabilities are
comparable with other major suites (e.g. SmartSuite or Applix). For
Linux it also has the advantage of being free.

On the minus side the documentation is in German so unless you are very
familiar with the sort of things that spreadsheets, word-processors and
presentation graphics are capable of doing and how they are likely to be
done the process of learning to use it is likely to be painful.

I also found that the user-interface was very "clunky" both in looks
with its heavy Motif frames and in application with some features
apparently being enabled and disabled acausally. I'm not sure if this is
because it's buggy or because I don't know much about spreadsheets.

For me the final killer was actually a trivial problem that the symbols
in charts cannot be customized and the symbols used are not suitable for
scientific data plots.

In the end I gave up and bought Applix.

My advice would be this:
If you are familiar with other office suites and have a reasonable
amount of time to learn it, or if you can read German then it may be
worthwhile, otherwise you'll be better off with Applix.

James Tappin

| James Tappin,          | School of Physics & Astronomy |  O__    |

| Ph: 0121-414-6462. Fax: 0121-414-3722                  |         |

Is Star Office 3.1 a good program?

Post by Christoph X Rausche » Thu, 11 Sep 1997 04:00:00

Star Office for Linux is excellent ! And it's free for private use !!!
There are german and english versions. If you don't have Motif, you
can get a statically bound version.
The only thing to take care: you must have an ELF system and
(if I remember correctly) libc.5.4.4 or higher
Xtoph

Dr. Christoph "Xtoph" Rauscher        | Any opinions expressed in the above
System Analyst                  | message are strictly private and do not
IABG / Einsteinstr. 20          | necessarily represent official
opinions
D-85521 Ottobrunn / Germany     | or policies of IABG mbH !