Netscape news readers keeps showing read measseges...

Netscape news readers keeps showing read measseges...

Post by Jeff Pierc » Tue, 04 Jan 2000 04:00:00

I finally upgraded to Communicator 4.7 from 3.xx Gold and I hate the
newsreader!!!!!
First.
How in the hell do you add a single newsgroup WITHOUT having the whole
damn list downloaded, which can take a LONG time on a 33.6k link. The
old way allowed you to just type it in a added it.
Second:
Why do the newsgroups I add under 4.7 continue to show read message
headers???? Newsgroups that were inhiereted from 3.5 don't do it.
Why the hell was the newsreader setup made so damn complicated in newer
versions????

--
Jeff Pierce

http://pages.preferred.com/~piercej

Post by John Thompso » Tue, 04 Jan 2000 04:00:00

> I finally upgraded to Communicator 4.7 from 3.xx Gold and I hate the
> newsreader!!!!!
> First.
> How in the hell do you add a single newsgroup WITHOUT having the whole
> damn list downloaded, which can take a LONG time on a 33.6k link. The
> old way allowed you to just type it in a added it.

Not sure on this, as I read off-line on a local server.  The
server only handles the groups I want to read, and its a
10mbs connection, so it's reasonably fast.  You might want
to run "leafnode" or something similar on your system.

Quote:> Second:
> Why do the newsgroups I add under 4.7 continue to show read message
> headers???? Newsgroups that were inhiereted from 3.5 don't do it.
> Why the hell was the newsreader setup made so damn complicated in newer
> versions????

From the "Mail and Newsgroups" window:
"View...Messages...New" will supress all but the unread
messages.

--

Netscape news readers keeps showing read measseges...

Post by Eric Game » Thu, 06 Jan 2000 04:00:00

I downloaded Netscape 4.7 for my machine and couldn't get
it to run.  What did you do to install Netscape.  I
followed the generic UNIX instructions on Netscape's
web page but those instructions didn't work.  I can't
remember exactly what went wrong since it has been a
while (about 1 month) since I tried to install it. You
don't have to explain every detail a URL will do plus
any special instructions or exceptions will do.

Thanks for you time,

Eric Games

1. Any News Reader Recommeded, KDE, RedHat (except Netscape & Mozilla)

I'm interested in finding a suitable newsreader for Linux, I'm using Linux
up to 75% of the time now migrating all of the apps and things I do under
windows as they seem feasible. Still some things have a way to go.

Please don't recommend Netscape or Mozilla. But are there any news readers
out there that comparable to MS Outlook Express or Xnews on Linux?

Gerald

2. Yet another silly DMCA case...

3. Am I missing something or does Netscape's NEWS reader suck?

4. kcore file

5. Fontsize in Netscape news reader

6. HP-5L

7. Netscape News reader thingy

8. Is this program correct ?

9. Any News Reader Recommeded, KDE, RedHat (except Netscape & Mozilla)

10. Linux, Netscape and News Reader

11. How to setup nntp for Netscape news reader

12. Netscape v1.1b3 News Reader -- explain Earlier, Earliest, etc..

13. Netscape News Reader