Help with compiling new kernel

Help with compiling new kernel

Post by Kimico Mye » Mon, 29 Oct 2001 04:42:33



I've repeatedly attempted to install the 2.4.13 kernel, but with no
success.  I successfully run make dep;make clean;make bzImage.
However, when I run make modules I get the following error:

cp: cannot stat `cpqfc.o': No such file or directory
cp: cannot stat `osst.o': No such file or directory
cp: cannot stat `sr_mod.o': No such file or directory
make[2]: *** [_modinst__] Error 1
make[2]: Leaving directory `/usr/src/linux-2.4.13/drivers/scsi'
make[1]: *** [_modinst_scsi] Error 2
make[1]: Leaving directory `/usr/src/linux-2.4.13/drivers'
make: *** [_modinst_drivers] Error 2

I've also tried the 2.4.9 kernel and I get similar error messages:

unistr.c: In function `ntfs_collate_names':
unistr.c:99: warning: implicit declaration of function `min'
unistr.c:99: parse error before `unsigned'
unistr.c:99: parse error before `)'
unistr.c:97: warning: `c1' might be used uninitialized in this
function
unistr.c: At top level:
unistr.c:118: parse error before `if'
unistr.c:123: warning: type defaults to `int' in declaration of `c1'
unistr.c:123: `name1' undeclared here (not in a function)
unistr.c:123: warning: data definition has no type or storage class
unistr.c:124: parse error before `if'
make[2]: *** [unistr.o] Error 1
make[2]: Leaving directory `/usr/src/linux-2.4.9/fs/ntfs'
make[1]: *** [_modsubdir_ntfs] Error 2
make[1]: Leaving directory `/usr/src/linux-2.4.9/fs'
make: *** [_mod_fs] Error 2

Can anyone give me any idea why I'm getting these error messages when
trying to compile the kernel?

Thanks.

 
 
 

Help with compiling new kernel

Post by Madhusudan Sing » Mon, 29 Oct 2001 05:13:38


Quote:> cp: cannot stat `cpqfc.o': No such file or directory
> cp: cannot stat `osst.o': No such file or directory

Do you need the modules you are trying to make ?

Quote:> cp: cannot stat `sr_mod.o': No such file or directory
> make[2]: *** [_modinst__] Error 1
> make[2]: Leaving directory `/usr/src/linux-2.4.13/drivers/scsi'
> make[1]: *** [_modinst_scsi] Error 2
> make[1]: Leaving directory `/usr/src/linux-2.4.13/drivers'
> make: *** [_modinst_drivers] Error 2

> I've also tried the 2.4.9 kernel and I get similar error messages:

> unistr.c: In function `ntfs_collate_names':
> unistr.c:99: warning: implicit declaration of function `min'
> unistr.c:99: parse error before `unsigned'
> unistr.c:99: parse error before `)'
> unistr.c:97: warning: `c1' might be used uninitialized in this

Again, do you need to read volumes with Win NT ?

Quote:> function
> unistr.c: At top level:
> unistr.c:118: parse error before `if'
> unistr.c:123: warning: type defaults to `int' in declaration of `c1'
> unistr.c:123: `name1' undeclared here (not in a function)
> unistr.c:123: warning: data definition has no type or storage class
> unistr.c:124: parse error before `if'
> make[2]: *** [unistr.o] Error 1
> make[2]: Leaving directory `/usr/src/linux-2.4.9/fs/ntfs'
> make[1]: *** [_modsubdir_ntfs] Error 2
> make[1]: Leaving directory `/usr/src/linux-2.4.9/fs'
> make: *** [_mod_fs] Error 2

> Can anyone give me any idea why I'm getting these error messages when
> trying to compile the kernel?

If you do not need these modules, go back to make xconfig and change the
"module" to "no" for each one of these.

 
 
 

Help with compiling new kernel

Post by Juergen Hein » Mon, 29 Oct 2001 05:56:13



> I've repeatedly attempted to install the 2.4.13 kernel, but with no
> success.  I successfully run make dep;make clean;make bzImage.
> However, when I run make modules I get the following error:

> cp: cannot stat `cpqfc.o': No such file or directory
> cp: cannot stat `osst.o': No such file or directory
> cp: cannot stat `sr_mod.o': No such file or directory
> make[2]: *** [_modinst__] Error 1
> make[2]: Leaving directory `/usr/src/linux-2.4.13/drivers/scsi'
[-]
> I've also tried the 2.4.9 kernel and I get similar error messages:

> unistr.c: In function `ntfs_collate_names':
> unistr.c:99: warning: implicit declaration of function `min'
> unistr.c:99: parse error before `unsigned'
> unistr.c:99: parse error before `)'
> unistr.c:97: warning: `c1' might be used uninitialized in this
> function

[-]
Well, parse errors and such -- pretty bad, so where did you
get the sources from to start with ? If I were you I'd
do a rm -rf /usr/src/linux and download the complete version
of the current 2.4 kernel from some trusted source, read
your nearest kernel mirror or your distribution's site.

IIRC the latest is 2.4.13 but needs a one line correction,
see http://linuxtoday.com for more for instance.

Cheers,
Juergen

--
\ Real name     : Juergen Heinzl                \       no flames      /

 
 
 

1. help with compiling new kernel for ibm laptop

Hi Everyone,

Please help me with this problem.
Currently, I am running RH 6.1 on my ibm thinkpad i-series laptop.  
The kernel is 2.2.12-20.  I would like to upgrade the kernel to
2.2.17.  Here are the steps that I use to recompile the new kernel:

1) download the kernel-2.2.17.tar.gz from http://www.kernel.org
2) download the patch for 2.2.17 from http://www.kernel.org
3) unzip the *.gz file by:  gunzip *.gz
4) tar xvpf  kernel*.tar
5) unzip the patch*.gz
6) tar xvpf  patch-kernel*.tar
7) patch -p1 < *.diff
8) ln -s linux-2.2.17 linux
9) cd /usr/src/linux
10) make mrproper
11) make menuconfig
12) make dep
13) make clean
14) make bzImage
15) make modules
16) make modules_install
17) cp /usr/src/linux/arch/i386/boot/bzImage /boot/vmlinuz-2.2.17
18) cp /usr/src/linux/System.map /boot/System.map-2.2.17
19) ln -s /boot/System.map-2.2.17 /boot/System.map
20) edit /etc/lilo.conf with the new kernel
21) run  /sbin/lilo
22) reboot the box

Everything seems to be working;  however, my NIC does NOT work.  
I try to start the CARDCTL program.  The program tells me that the
/proc/devices does not have pcmcia.  In the menuconfig process,
I make sure that I include support for my pcmcia NICs (I am using
two 3com FastEtherlink 3C574-TX  because I am experimenting
Linux Firewall on my laptop).  

I thought I did something so I went back and recompile the kernel
again.  However, I got the same result.  

Finally, I decide to recompile the kernel version 2.2.12-20 (the one
comes with RH 6.1).  I was able to recompile it successfully with
PCMCIA support.  In other words, everything works.  Durin the
process, I notice that the kernel 2.2.12.20 has a directory called
pcmcia-cs-3.0.14.  I didn't see this directory in the new kernel
(i.e. /usr/src/linux/pcmcia-cs.3.0.14) in the new kernel 2.2.17.

I really would like to use the new kernel 2.2.17 because I really
would like to enhance my system.  If anyone has experiences

Many thanks.
David

2. Make it possible to compile in the Bluetooth subsystem

3. how to forbid telnet under linux 2.0.34

4. Sending faxes to a Linux server

5. compile new kernel => compile new iptables ?

6. IP addresses conflict

7. compiling ANY new kernel gives "Kernel Panic"...HELP!

8. Kernel panic after compiling new kernel... help!

9. Help to boot new kernel with grub -delited the old kernel before tried the new one

10. HELP compiling new kernel "ld -qmagic" error

11. Help needed on compiling and installing a new custumized kernel