New (almost) user question ...

Post by Kevin Klopfenstei » Tue, 10 Feb 1998 04:00:00

I'm almost ready to install Linux and get rid of all MS products on my
machine, but I have a question concerning my hard disk.  My Western Digital
hard disk has a few bad sectors that gave me some trouble with MSDOS.  I
went to WD's website and downloaded their wddiag.exe utility.  I thought it
would do something magical, but I think it was nothing more than a DOS
scandisk thing.  It marked those sectors as bad and moved the data to
someplace else.

So, the question is : Will Linux have problems with a hard drive that
contains bad sectors that have been "repaired" in that manner?  How exactly
do these utility programs tell the OS to stay away from particular sectors
on the disk?

Thanks in advance,
Kevin

Kevin Klopfenstein
Smiths Industries Aerospace

New (almost) user question ...

Post by Frank Sweetse » Tue, 10 Feb 1998 04:00:00

> I'm almost ready to install Linux and get rid of all MS products on my
> machine, but I have a question concerning my hard disk.  My Western Digital
> hard disk has a few bad sectors that gave me some trouble with MSDOS.  I
> went to WD's website and downloaded their wddiag.exe utility.  I thought it
> would do something magical, but I think it was nothing more than a DOS
> scandisk thing.  It marked those sectors as bad and moved the data to
> someplace else.

> So, the question is : Will Linux have problems with a hard drive that
> contains bad sectors that have been "repaired" in that manner?  How exactly
> do these utility programs tell the OS to stay away from particular sectors
> on the disk?

there's an option to the mke2fs program (program which creates a linux
native filesystem) to check for bad sectors and not use them.  every
install procedure I've used has had the option to pass this flag to mkfs.

paramount.res.wpi.net RH 5.0 kernel 2.0.33/2.1.85   i586 | at public servers
Woody: Hey, Mr. Peterson, Jack Frost nipping at your nose?
Norm:  Yep, now let's get Joe Beer nipping at my liver, huh?
                -- Cheers, Feeble Attraction