What're '!'and'%' in email address

Post by Chutima Subsiri » Fri, 20 Jan 1995 13:36:22

        I get 'xtiff.tar.z' from mirrors site , but I found bug in it and
I want to contact with owner of packages. His email are :

        I mail messages to him several times but he's very quite.
If anyone have a way to contact him please mail to me.

        Another problem : I want to contact someone by email but
his email address consists of symbol '%' or '!' that when I send
mail to him then the mail return to me because unknown user host.
Mail address is wrong , or I send it wrong method.

                                Thanks.

What're '!'and'%' in email address

Post by Doug Dejul » Sat, 21 Jan 1995 03:33:36

Quote:>    Another problem : I want to contact someone by email but
>his email address consists of symbol '%' or '!' that when I send
>mail to him then the mail return to me because unknown user host.
>Mail address is wrong , or I send it wrong method.

These are both holdovers from before the time of MX records.  They are
all obsolete now, but some people still use them.

Details: Let's say you're on a UUCP network.  Your machine is fred,
and you're connected to a machine named wilma, which is connected to a
machine named betty.  You want to send mail to user barney on system
betty.  The address you have to use is "wilma!betty!barney", meaning
"send this mail to wilma, who will forward it to betty, who will
deliver it to barney".

machines that are not on the internet.

Details: Let's say some company, HAL Computers, has their own private
TCP/IP network, with full mail and everything, which is not on the
internet.  Now let's say they get one machine, "hal.com", and put that
on the internet.  A user on their internal network may be addressed as

However, "hal.com" knows how to deliver mail to "bar.hal.com".  So,
you send mail to hal.com, but tell it to deliver its mail to

so you replace one of them with a '%' sign.  So, the address you use

to do the delivery all over again.

With MX records, you slip a record into the nameserver that says "when
you want to send mail to bar.hal.com, you should deliver the mail to
hal.com, who will figure out where the mail really goes".  With the
advent of widespread MXing, ! and % have virutally disappeared from
internet mail.
--

What're '!'and'%' in email address

Post by Ulrich Callmei » Sun, 22 Jan 1995 21:12:52

>    Another problem : I want to contact someone by email but
>his email address consists of symbol '%' or '!' that when I send
>mail to him then the mail return to me because unknown user host.
>Mail address is wrong , or I send it wrong method.

% is an obsolete hack to specify a route.

a!b is the uucp way of specifying an adress.

Perhaps I can help you if you give the addresses.

Ulrich

1. What is '%'and'!' in email address

        I get 'xtiff.tar.z' from mirrors site , but I found bug in it and
I want to contact with owner of packages. His email are :

        I mail messages to him several times but he's very quite.
If anyone have a way to contact him please mail to me.

        Another problem : I want to contact someone by email but
his email address consists of symbol '%' or '!' that when I send
mail to him then the mail return to me because unknown user host.
Mail address is wrong , or I send it wrong method.

                                Thanks.

2. Is it right? in i2c-dev.c.....

3. cancels in 'big8 ' for 'munged' email addresses?

4. Newbie question

5. Is different 'Ethenet address' from 'Mac Address' ?

6. XFree86 -configure says i need libglide2x.so

7. Email: Difference between 'sender' and 'from'?

8. Java

9. How to email from internet site to 'uucp' and 'bitnet' ?

11. sendmail: Rewriting 'from' and 'reply-to' addresses...

12. Will changing IP address affect 'rlogin'/'telnet'?

13. 'double' or 'dbl' or 'dble', the disk space utilty