Copying users

Post by Matti_CR » Wed, 13 Nov 2002 04:29:24

Ciao!

Anybody know a safety method to copy all the users list (about 120 users)
from a box running RH6.1 to another box running RH 7.3?

Could I copy only /etc/passwd and /etc/group?
And where are stored the passwords (shaded) ?

This because the RH6.1 box (FTP server only) is faulty, and I'm installing a
new one with RH 7.3, but I don't really like re-insert 120user manually! ;-)

Thanks in advance
regards
    Matteo

Copying users

Post by Chris Coyl » Wed, 13 Nov 2002 04:59:45

> Ciao!

> Anybody know a safety method to copy all the users list (about 120 users)
> from a box running RH6.1 to another box running RH 7.3?

> Could I copy only /etc/passwd and /etc/group?
> And where are stored the passwords (shaded) ?

> This because the RH6.1 box (FTP server only) is faulty, and I'm installing a
> new one with RH 7.3, but I don't really like re-insert 120user manually! ;-)

> Thanks in advance
> regards
>     Matteo

You probably also want to tar up their home dirs, everything under /home
:)

Copying users

Post by Jon Portno » Wed, 13 Nov 2002 05:21:00

> Ciao!

> Anybody know a safety method to copy all the users list (about 120 users)
> from a box running RH6.1 to another box running RH 7.3?

> Could I copy only /etc/passwd and /etc/group?
> And where are stored the passwords (shaded) ?

> This because the RH6.1 box (FTP server only) is faulty, and I'm installing a
> new one with RH 7.3, but I don't really like re-insert 120user manually! ;-)

You'll at least want /etc/passwd and /etc/shadow.

--
Jon Portnoy

Copying users

Post by k.. » Wed, 13 Nov 2002 05:51:18

> Ciao!

> Anybody know a safety method to copy all the users list (about 120 users)
> from a box running RH6.1 to another box running RH 7.3?

> Could I copy only /etc/passwd and /etc/group?
> And where are stored the passwords (shaded) ?

Make copies of the old /etc/passwd, ./group, ./shadow files. Remove all
users and groups that are duplicated on the new machine. Append the
edited lists to the current passwd, group and shadow files. If the home
directories need migrating, make sure to save them in a way that ensures
permissions and ownership gets preserved.

Quote:> This because the RH6.1 box (FTP server only) is faulty, and I'm installing a
> new one with RH 7.3, but I don't really like re-insert 120user manually! ;-)

BTW, modern FTP packages don't require that system users exist for
ftp-only users. The method you're using now can be insecure in many
circumstances, most notably in that their ftp passwords often allow
shell access. Pardon me if you were already aware of this.

Copying users

Post by Michael Heimin » Wed, 13 Nov 2002 06:38:06

[..]

Quote:> BTW, modern FTP packages don't require that system users exist for
> ftp-only users. The method you're using now can be insecure in many
> circumstances, most notably in that their ftp passwords often allow
> shell access. Pardon me if you were already aware of this.

One might need those accounts for more then ftp, like mail, samba and
alike. One could set users shells to /bin/false (must be installed and
in /etc/shells) while transferring the accounts. Ie.:

awk 'BEGIN{FS=OFS=":"}$3>599{$7="/bin/false"}{print}' passwd > n.passwd

To convert all users shell, with a UID > 599, to /bin/false.

Michael Heiming
--
Remove +SIGNS, if you expect an answer

Copying users

Post by k.. » Wed, 13 Nov 2002 07:22:59

> > BTW, modern FTP packages don't require that system users exist for
> > ftp-only users. The method you're using now can be insecure in many
> > circumstances, most notably in that their ftp passwords often allow
> > shell access. Pardon me if you were already aware of this.

> One might need those accounts for more then ftp, like mail, samba and
> alike. One could set users shells to /bin/false (must be installed and
> in /etc/shells) while transferring the accounts. Ie.:

> awk 'BEGIN{FS=OFS=":"}$3>599{$7="/bin/false"}{print}' passwd > n.passwd

> To convert all users shell, with a UID > 599, to /bin/false.

True.  I put the shell blurb in there mainly because the OP mentioned it
was an FTP only server. Good point about locking the shell during
transfer.

Copying users

Post by Matti_CR » Thu, 14 Nov 2002 02:49:04

Ciao.
Thanks to all for supports.
I've copied /etc/passwd, /etc/shadows and /etc/group... and all the users
was present on the new box.
I've manually work to change some permission and UID/GID, but at the end all
it's working well!
thanks a lot

Regards
    Matteo

> > > BTW, modern FTP packages don't require that system users exist for
> > > ftp-only users. The method you're using now can be insecure in many
> > > circumstances, most notably in that their ftp passwords often allow
> > > shell access. Pardon me if you were already aware of this.

> > One might need those accounts for more then ftp, like mail, samba and
> > alike. One could set users shells to /bin/false (must be installed and
> > in /etc/shells) while transferring the accounts. Ie.:

> > awk 'BEGIN{FS=OFS=":"}$3>599{$7="/bin/false"}{print}' passwd > n.passwd

> > To convert all users shell, with a UID > 599, to /bin/false.

> True.  I put the shell blurb in there mainly because the OP mentioned it
> was an FTP only server. Good point about locking the shell during
> transfer.

1. Copy Users from one Unix Box to another Unix Box

I have problems copying users from one Sco Unix box to another Sco
Unix box, The version of Unix is 3.2v4.2

What I have done so far

I have transfered /tcb/* /etc/passwd /etc/group

PROBLEM

When you login on the new Unix box it will not accept the password, if
you go into sysadmsh program and check Accounts User Examine password
there is an error saying that you have an unmatchable password.
If you change the passowrd it will work but I have alot of users and I
would like to maintain there old passwords.

 --------------
-------------------------------------------------------------| David Cull

a Demon Internet - Full IP for 10/Month Tel:081 349 0063
|---------------------------------------------------------------------------

2. how to grep -v against multiple strings?

3. How to copy users from one system to another???

4. test

5. copying user home directories.

6. IBM Global Network & Linux PPP (diald/pppd)

7. copying users, groups and printers from one server to another

8. Intergraph Intense 3d Voodoo

9. Copying User Accounts From BSDI to Linux

10. Copying users from old to new system

11. Copy users and device settings

12. Copying user info to new m/c

13. copy user / password account info to another server?