Getting MS Exchange Mail on Linux?

Post by Lloyd Sumpt » Fri, 13 Dec 1996 04:00:00

   At work, I'm a Linux island in a sea of Microsoft. Currently, I
deal with MS Mail (our existing office mail system) by running a DOS
version of MS Mail in DosEmu (works great!). However, we're
"upgrading" to Windows 95, and MS Exchange.
   Is there a way to either run some version of MS Exchange in Linux
(either a DOS version in DosEmu, or...?) I don't see Wine as being
stable enough yet - is it? Or is there a Linux mail system (Freeware
or commercial) that "understands" MS Exchange?
   As always, any help would be greatly appreciated!

    "Ethernet(n): Device used to catch the etherbunny"

Getting MS Exchange Mail on Linux?

Post by Brian Wheel » Fri, 13 Dec 1996 04:00:00

Quote:>   At work, I'm a Linux island in a sea of Microsoft. Currently, I
>deal with MS Mail (our existing office mail system) by running a DOS
>version of MS Mail in DosEmu (works great!). However, we're
>"upgrading" to Windows 95, and MS Exchange.
>   Is there a way to either run some version of MS Exchange in Linux
>(either a DOS version in DosEmu, or...?) I don't see Wine as being
>stable enough yet - is it? Or is there a Linux mail system (Freeware
>or commercial) that "understands" MS Exchange?
>   As always, any help would be greatly appreciated!

        Exchange is a bloated, unscalable pig that needs to be killed.
        You should probably just go to someone else's win95 box and logon to
exchange and make your settings "forward and delete" and send your mail to
your linux box.  No other way to do it, I'm afraid.

        You may want to take a look at these articles and "explain" them to
your superiors.

http://www.news.com/News/Item/0,4,6025,00.html
        Microsoft Teams with HP and realizes that exchange doesn't scale
well at all.

http://www.news.com/News/Item/0,4,6033,00.html
        Microsoft scraps Exchange 4.5 and says 45 days until Exchange 5.0
(which also isn't scalable)

Hope this helps.
Brian Wheeler

Post by Robert A. Snyd » Tue, 17 Dec 1996 04:00:00

>   Is there a way to either run some version of MS Exchange in Linux
>(either a DOS version in DosEmu, or...?) I don't see Wine as being
>stable enough yet - is it? Or is there a Linux mail system (Freeware
>or commercial) that "understands" MS Exchange?
>   As always, any help would be greatly appreciated!

There is a DOS client for Exchange, but it doesn't have full functionality,
and I haven't tried it under DosEmu.

Exchange 5.0, due out in january, betas available by signing up on Microsoft's
web site, provides access to your mailbox, public folders, and scheduling via
a web interface. I've seen it running under Netscape. Additionally, it'll
provide POP access to mail.

At some point in 1997, they should be releasing code to support IMAP access
to Exchange, allowing people to use IMAP programs like pine to access their
mail and manipulate it on the server.

I've also heard it should be acting as a NNTP server in a future release as
well.

Bob

1. Getting MS Exchange mail under Linux

Hi all,

Our company just got swallowed by a bigger fish. They use MS Exchange Server
for e-mail (I set up Linux for us and it's been running flawlessly for the
past 3 years). Unfortunately, the "IS Dept" (and I use that term very
loosely based on my interactions with them so far) of our new parent company
refuses (or doesn't know how) to turn on POP3/SMTP support in Exchange (or
maybe they can't, I dunno. Did MSE support POP3 earlier than v5.5?).

(BTW--I find it mildly ironic that they claim to be an internet minded
company, but they don't have POP3 support in e-mail and don't even have an
internal DNS setup for a company of about 3500 people worldwide, but that's
a whole other story... <grin>).

Anyway, they want us to all switch to Outlook 9x for our desktop e-mail
clients and would like us to connect to their e-mail server directly from
our desktop. However, if our link to them goes down, we lose internal e-mail
(a bad thing). So I was hoping...

Does anyone know of a Linux program (I'm running the 2.0.36 kernel) that
pulls mail from an Exchange Server mailbox (I.e. become/simulate an exchange
client app)? I'm not sure if their version of Exchange supports IMAP, in
which case I could use fetchmail. A command line program would be perfect,
so it could be scripted.  That way, I could pull the e-mail from the
Exchange Server down to the Linux box and distribute it locally for my
users. Even if it only pulled e-mail for a single user it would be OK.

Any help would be appreciated...

Thanx

Tom

2. Help on Linux...

3. Linux mail server with MS-Mail/Exchange

4. Strange SMP/X/Mouse problem

5. Getting Mail from MS Exchange Server

6. Linux and k7v irq

7. HELP: MS Exchange getting mail from Qmail and dialup ISDN.

8. How to read a single character from the keyboard?

9. Unix Mail & MS Exchange Mail

10. reading MS Exchange Mail in Linux

11. Forwarding Linux mail to MS SMTP/Exchange server

12. Any linux/open-source mail clients that grok MS-exchange?

13. reading MS Exchange Mail in Linux