spontanious change of /etc/host.conf

Post by Carl D. Ro » Fri, 18 Jul 1997 04:00:00

--Multipart_Thu_Jul_17_22:05:47_1997-1

> From times to times the file /etc/host.conf changes from
> order hosts, bind
> multi on
> order hosts
> multi on
> Somehow the ",bind" just disappears and the ppp-connection wont work
> anymore. what is going on in my system. I even took all writing
> permissions away from that file. It didn't help. Can you ????

Now, if I were a smart networking script, I would turn on and off DNS
(bind) every time the network connectivity (ppp) changed...

Make sure ip-up/ip-down isn't changing your hosts file.  If it is,
maybe it should be.

--Multipart_Thu_Jul_17_22:05:47_1997-1

--Multipart_Thu_Jul_17_22:05:47_1997-1--

spontanious change of /etc/host.conf

Post by Jochen Reitzi » Fri, 18 Jul 1997 04:00:00

From times to times the file /etc/host.conf changes from

order hosts, bind
multi on

order hosts
multi on

Somehow the ",bind" just disappears and the ppp-connection wont work
anymore. what is going on in my system. I even took all writing
permissions away from that file. It didn't help. Can you ????
   Thanks, JR

1. Looking for sample /etc/named.conf and etc/resolv.conf and /etc/hosts

Can someone send me some sample files for the latest version of the named
program?

/etc/named.conf

and

/etc/resolv.conf
/etc/hosts

I am having some trouble understanding how to configure my new RH 6.2
server.

My setup is as follows:

I have a DSL modem connected to a hardware router.  I have an external IP
number and 192.168.1.X as ip's for my LAN running TCP/IP.  The linux server
is at local ip 192.168.1.10.

I want to run my own mail server and name server for HTTP and FTP access.

If I run NSLOOKUP, it reports that it cannot find a server name address for
192.168.1.10 (non-existent host/domain)
and for my external IP (no response from server)

I think if I can see some sample files set up correctly, that I can
reconfigure my system to work correctly.

Or - better yet, if someone can walk me throught this setup I would be
forever greatful!!!

Thanks!!!

www.pdsvs.com
949-367-1212

2. Bidirectional Pipes

3. /etc/host.conf and /etc/nsswitch.conf

4. System Admin Tools for SUN OS

5. Resolver and /etc/host.conf and nsswitch.conf

6. problem on openserver 5.05 wilth telnet access en bi-processor server

7. /etc/rc.net, /etc/host.conf and ps problems

8. ISA NE2K freezes boot process, etc

9. SOLUTIONS TO: /etc/rc.net, /etc/host.conf and 'ps' problems

10. Which order for bind,host in /etc/hosts.conf?

11. Help with /etc/hosts and /etc/resolv.conf

12. what's the format of the /etc/host.conf file?

13. comments in /etc/hosts, /etc/resolv.conf