Lilo question:How to move Linux Drive to secondary IDE port.

Lilo question:How to move Linux Drive to secondary IDE port.

Post by Blacksta » Thu, 30 Mar 2000 04:00:00

I would like to move my Linux RHv6.1 drive(/dev/hdb) to the secondary
IDE port(/dev/hdc).  I recently removed my IDE CD and CD-R drives from
my system and installed a SCSI Plextor CD-RW drive and Seagate SCSI
Hornet NS20 Travan tape drive. By doing this I have freed up the
secondary IDE port.

Lilo is on the MBR of /dev/hda (Windoze98). Lilo fails to boot Linux if
I move the drive to /dev/hdc. I know I can change the Lilo to the MBR of
the second drive and restore the MBR of /dev/hda with FDISK /MBR. I want
to use my bios at boot up to select which drive to boot.
System:
PII 350Mhz
128 mb ram
Voodoo Banshee AGP card
Sound Card: ES1371 (SB PCI 128)
Ethernet: Linksys 10/100 (Cable Modem Access)
SCSI:
PLEXTOR 32/12/4X CD-RW
Seagate NS20 Travan Tape Drive
/dev/hda: Maxtor 20G drive (Windoze98)
/dev/hdb: Maxtor 8G (Linux RHv6.1) Want it to be /dev/hdc

I have read the HOWTO on adding drives, etc. They don't expressly say
how to do the lilo change without moving files to a new HD.
Any help would be appreciated!: )
My present /etc/lilo.conf file:
boot=/dev/hda
map=/boot/map
install=/boot/boot.b
prompt
vga=0
timeout=50
default=linux

image=/boot/vmlinuz-2.2.12-20.scsi
        label=linux
        initrd=/boot/initrd-2.2.12-20.img
        read-only
        root=/dev/hdb7
image=/boot/vmlinuz-2.2.12-20-1
        label=linux.old
        initrd=/boot/initrd-2.2.12-20.img
        read-only
        root=/dev/hdb7
image=/boot/vmlinuz-2.2.12-20
        label=linux.org
        initrd=/boot/initrd-2.2.12-20.img
        read-only
        root=/dev/hdb7

other=/dev/hda1
        label=dos

Thanx,

Pete McDade

Lilo question:How to move Linux Drive to secondary IDE port.

Post by Dances With Cro » Thu, 30 Mar 2000 04:00:00

On Wed, 29 Mar 2000 13:25:33 -0500, Blackstar

Quote:>I would like to move my Linux RHv6.1 drive(/dev/hdb) to the secondary
>IDE port(/dev/hdc).
>Lilo is on the MBR of /dev/hda (Windoze98). Lilo fails to boot Linux if
>I move the drive to /dev/hdc. I know I can change the Lilo to the MBR of
>the second drive and restore the MBR of /dev/hda with FDISK /MBR.

It seems as though the BIOS has a hard time reading from anything but the
first two IDE drives on bootup.  LILO also won't work unless it's
somewhere on the first hard disk.  (From the LILO documentation.)

Quote:>I want to use my bios at boot up to select which drive to boot.

Yuck.  If you reboot your machine frequently, that means every time you
boot, you have to waste 10-15 seconds messing with the BIOS.  Not cool,
plus it might not work the way you expect.  I installed LILO on the MBR of
/dev/hdb and told the BIOS to boot from that drive.  No go, though the
kernel and the map file were on /dev/hdb well udner the 1024-limit.

If I were you, I'd try this:  Put your Linux disk on /dev/hda, and put
your WinXX disk on /dev/hdc.  Install LILO in the MBR of your Linux disk,
and have the lilo.conf be like this:

other=/dev/hdc1
  label=dos
  table=/dev/hdc

I do not know if this will work, though it should with recent BIOSes.
Whether WinXX can handle being on /dev/hdc is another story entirely.

--
Matt G / Dances With Crows              \###| Programmers are playwrights
There is no Darkness in Eternity         \##| Computers are lousy actors

Lilo question:How to move Linux Drive to secondary IDE port.

Post by John in S » Fri, 31 Mar 2000 04:00:00

Windows MUST be on /dev/hda (drive C:); and it must be a primary
partition.

You may or may not be able to put Linux on /dev/hdc.  LILO uses only
BIOS calls to load the kernel, so /dev/hdc MUST be device 0x82.
/dev/hda is 0x80, and /dev/hdb is 0x81.  My BIOS installs all three
drives, so I can boot /dev/hdcX.

If your BIOS only installs 0x80 and 0x81 (Windows/DOS drives C: and
D:), you are completely out of luck with LILO.

Neil Koozer has another boot loader, which might work, however.  It is
called NUNI.  Search this NG, and the hardware NG for a reference to
his site.

--John in SD

Post by Cameron L. Spitz » Sat, 01 Apr 2000 04:00:00

>I would like to move my Linux RHv6.1 drive(/dev/hdb) to the secondary
>IDE port(/dev/hdc).

I've done that a couple of times.
The most likely problem you will have is that your BIOS is too
primitive to boot from /dev/hdc.
If your BIOS won't boot from it, you can't use LILO with it.

Quote:> I recently removed my IDE CD and CD-R drives from
>my system and installed a SCSI Plextor CD-RW drive and Seagate SCSI
>Hornet NS20 Travan tape drive. By doing this I have freed up the
>secondary IDE port.

>Lilo is on the MBR of /dev/hda (Windoze98). Lilo fails to boot Linux if
>I move the drive to /dev/hdc.

That's because the mapfile you built when you installed LILO
instructs LILO to ask BIOS for sectors from /dev/hda.

Quote:>I know I can change the Lilo to the MBR of
>the second drive and restore the MBR of /dev/hda with FDISK /MBR. I want
>to use my bios at boot up to select which drive to boot.

The Lilo that came with your commercial Linux distribution is too
old, and doesn't know how to use the INT 13 Extensions to overcome
the 1023 cylinder limit.

If you have not invested much in the Win-98 stuff on the new
/dev/hda, re-partition drive hda with a small /dev/hda1.  Put an
ext2 partition on there for convenience.  Reinstall win-98 on
/dev/hda2.  Move /boot from whereever it is now to /dev/hda1.

>System:
>PII 350Mhz
>128 mb ram
>Voodoo Banshee AGP card
>Sound Card: ES1371 (SB PCI 128)
>Ethernet: Linksys 10/100 (Cable Modem Access)
>SCSI:
>PLEXTOR 32/12/4X CD-RW
>Seagate NS20 Travan Tape Drive
>/dev/hda: Maxtor 20G drive (Windoze98)
>/dev/hdb: Maxtor 8G (Linux RHv6.1) Want it to be /dev/hdc

>I have read the HOWTO on adding drives, etc. They don't expressly say
>how to do the lilo change without moving files to a new HD.
>Any help would be appreciated!: )
>My present /etc/lilo.conf file:
>boot=/dev/hda
>map=/boot/map
>install=/boot/boot.b
>prompt
>vga=0
>timeout=50
>default=linux

>image=/boot/vmlinuz-2.2.12-20.scsi
>        label=linux
>        initrd=/boot/initrd-2.2.12-20.img
>        read-only
>        root=/dev/hdb7
>image=/boot/vmlinuz-2.2.12-20-1
>        label=linux.old
>        initrd=/boot/initrd-2.2.12-20.img
>        read-only
>        root=/dev/hdb7
>image=/boot/vmlinuz-2.2.12-20
>        label=linux.org
>        initrd=/boot/initrd-2.2.12-20.img
>        read-only
>        root=/dev/hdb7

>other=/dev/hda1
>        label=dos

>Thanx,

>Pete McDade

Screw Red Hat.  It's not their kernel, it's ours.  Install
real kernel source.   Build a bzImage that works for your
system when you boot it from a floppy, raw.

Now that you have a bzImage that you know what's in it
and what modules it needs, you're ready to install Lilo.

Make a "floppy that boots at hard drive speed" as
shown in the Lilo mini-HOWTO.  Now you have everything but your
ever-changing hard drive geometry down.
Add a stanza that describes the configuration you are going to
have when you move the drive, and rerun lilo(8).

Now move your drive.

Boot your system from your floppy.  Notice that it can't find
/usr (if that's a second partition) and swap.  That's okay.
Fix your /etc/fstab to reflect the new configuration, and your
floppy will boot your system correctly.  Once you have a correct
boot config on floppy it is easy to translate it to a hard drive
only boot setup.

1.44 MB floppy disks are the workaround for the Microsoft/BIOS
nightmare.  I don't know why folks are so reluctant to use them.

Cameron

Lilo question:How to move Linux Drive to secondary IDE port.

Post by Cameron L. Spitz » Sat, 01 Apr 2000 04:00:00

>Windows MUST be on /dev/hda (drive C:); and it must be a primary
>partition.

>You may or may not be able to put Linux on /dev/hdc.  LILO uses only
>BIOS calls to load the kernel, so /dev/hdc MUST be device 0x82.
>/dev/hda is 0x80, and /dev/hdb is 0x81.  My BIOS installs all three
>drives, so I can boot /dev/hdcX.

>If your BIOS only installs 0x80 and 0x81 (Windows/DOS drives C: and
>D:), you are completely out of luck with LILO.

That is not true.  The LILO mini-HOWTO describes a setup with a
traditional BIOS (/dev/hda only) and Linux on a drive that DOS
and the BIOS cannot see at all.

The current version of Lilo can use the Int 13 Extensions to boot
Linux from a 15 GB Microsoft partition that spans the first 4000
cylinders, even if Linux is on the seventh SCSI drive on a
parallel port adapter and the BIOS can only see /dev/hda.

Lilo is extremely versatile.  Unfortunately, it is not user friendly.
It does not have colorful menus and a helpdesk.
If you don't want to read documentation, you can't use it in ways
that Red Hat et al don't automate for you.  You'll have to buy
System Commander or Partition Magic instead.  But it's rude to tell
other people that they can't do it just because you can't be
bothered to figure out how.

Cameron

>Neil Koozer has another boot loader, which might work, however.  It is
>called NUNI.  Search this NG, and the hardware NG for a reference to
>his site.

>--John in SD

>>On Wed, 29 Mar 2000 13:25:33 -0500, Blackstar

>>>I would like to move my Linux RHv6.1 drive(/dev/hdb) to the secondary
>>>IDE port(/dev/hdc).
>>>Lilo is on the MBR of /dev/hda (Windoze98). Lilo fails to boot Linux if
>>>I move the drive to /dev/hdc. I know I can change the Lilo to the MBR of
>>>the second drive and restore the MBR of /dev/hda with FDISK /MBR.

>>It seems as though the BIOS has a hard time reading from anything but the
>>first two IDE drives on bootup.  LILO also won't work unless it's
>>somewhere on the first hard disk.  (From the LILO documentation.)

>>>I want to use my bios at boot up to select which drive to boot.

>>Yuck.  If you reboot your machine frequently, that means every time you
>>boot, you have to waste 10-15 seconds messing with the BIOS.  Not cool,
>>plus it might not work the way you expect.  I installed LILO on the MBR of
>>/dev/hdb and told the BIOS to boot from that drive.  No go, though the
>>kernel and the map file were on /dev/hdb well udner the 1024-limit.

>>If I were you, I'd try this:  Put your Linux disk on /dev/hda, and put
>>your WinXX disk on /dev/hdc.  Install LILO in the MBR of your Linux disk,
>>and have the lilo.conf be like this:

>>other=/dev/hdc1
>>  label=dos
>>  table=/dev/hdc

>>I do not know if this will work, though it should with recent BIOSes.
>>Whether WinXX can handle being on /dev/hdc is another story entirely.

Lilo question:How to move Linux Drive to secondary IDE port.

Post by Neil Kooze » Sat, 01 Apr 2000 04:00:00

[...]
> That is not true.
[...]
> But it's rude to tell
> other people that they can't do it just because you can't be
> bothered to figure out how.

Hey dude, John in SD is the author of the additional part of lilo to
make it handle the extended int13 calls.  He converted version 21 to
version 21.3 and 21.4 using his own knowledge of lilo.  I think he did
bother to see how lilo works.

Neil.

1. Moving Linux/Lilo boot from IDE to SCSI drives

I have made an extensive upgrade to my system including going from a 486
ISA to a P5 PCI buss and from IDE drives to SCSI.
What I did was transfer my Linux from my old hdb to another IDE drive
which I installed onto my new system as hda along with two new drives
being sda for DOS and sdb for Linux. I am running the Linux-1.2.13 kernel
that has the aic-xxx
patches to recognise my AHA-2940UW.
Lilo and my linux stuff works great on hda and I can use hda Lilo to boot
into my sdb Linux using "mount root=/dev/sdb1" and I can mount sda5 to
read my DOS partition.
But trying to install Lilo onto sda and then unplugging hda to boot from
sda, gives me a screen full of 1's and 0's. Also, trying to boot into
Linux off of floppy continuously gives me a kernel panic and does not see
the AHA-2940 even though the floppy has the same patched kernel I was able
to read the adapter
with from /dev/hda.
I have spent hours on this and have gottten no closer to resolving the
problem,
could someone please point me in the right direction?

Thanks

Jeff Marcus

2. SunMC API: how to get a list of all managed hosts ?

3. Can LILO be installed on secondary ide bootable drive?

4. Zombie Processes left by CERN 3.0 daemon

5. IDE drive on controller secondary port

6. IP Filtering with Linux

7. IDE drives on the secondary IDE bus

8. sc621 problem (still changing after 9 iterations)

9. Questions on large IDE drive (secondary HD)

10. Installing Linux on Secondary Master IDE Drive

11. Can linux be installed on a system with only a secondary ide controller running the drives?

12. LILO: Booting Linux partition residing on a secondary drive

13. Linux hangs while probing secondary IDE port