Outlook and OpenLDAP

Outlook and OpenLDAP

Post by dpury.. » Thu, 10 Feb 2000 04:00:00



[I am reposting this to the Linux forum because the Microsoft forum's
aren't providing much help. I assume that someone, somewhere has
configured OpenLDAP for use as an LDAP service for Outlook.]

Outlook 98 is returning an "no entries found" found whenever I query
against an LDAP database with a known, working contact. (I am using
OpenLDAP). Following is a session where I am manually searching for the
specified contact:


cn=Dustin Puryear, dc=wnet
cn=Dustin
sn=Manager

objectclass=person

Note that I used all uppercase as well as the * wildcard because that
matches how Outlook is searching the database. Following is the output
of my LDAP service when Outlook queries it with "Email:

do_unbind
do_bind
do_bind: version 3 dn () method 128
unknown version 3
send_ldap_result 2::version not supported
do_bind
do_bind: version 2 dn () method 128
send_ldap_result 0::
do_search
SRCH "WNET" 2 3    100 30 0

    attrs: display-name cn commonname mail othermailbox givenname sn
surname st
c co organizationname o ou organizationalunitname url homephone
facsimiletelepho
nenumber otherfacsimiletelephonenumber officefax mobile otherpager
officepager p
ager info title telephonenumber l homepostaladdress postaladdress
streetaddress
street department comment postalcode physicaldeliveryofficename
initials confere
nceinformation usercertificate;binary labeleduri manager reports
send_ldap_result 32::
ber_get_next on fd 17 failed errno 0 (Success)
*** got 0 of 0 so far

I get a "no entires" message from Outlook. Doing it by hand I get:


Hope, dc=wnet
cn=Bob Hope
sn=Manager

objectclass=person

So that works. Any ideas on how to debug this glitch? By the way, I set
the search base to the same "wnet".

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
Before you buy.

 
 
 

Outlook and OpenLDAP

Post by Villy Kru » Fri, 11 Feb 2000 04:00:00



>[I am reposting this to the Linux forum because the Microsoft forum's
>aren't providing much help. I assume that someone, somewhere has
>configured OpenLDAP for use as an LDAP service for Outlook.]

I works fine for us, although we had to specify the search base in OE
in some obscure advanced configuration window.  Per default OE will use
a blanke search base, and openldap does not like this very well.

Villy

 
 
 

Outlook and OpenLDAP

Post by Dustin Purye » Fri, 11 Feb 2000 04:00:00





>>[I am reposting this to the Linux forum because the Microsoft forum's
>>aren't providing much help. I assume that someone, somewhere has
>>configured OpenLDAP for use as an LDAP service for Outlook.]

>I works fine for us, although we had to specify the search base in OE
>in some obscure advanced configuration window.  Per default OE will use
>a blanke search base, and openldap does not like this very well.

I entered our search base in the Properties view of the Directory
Services tab. I wonder if this is the same thing..

---

Unix and NT Administrator
Baton Rouge Linux User Group - http://www.brlug.net
32BitsOnline(.com) Contributing Linux Editor
This message will self-destruct in 10 seconds..

 
 
 

Outlook and OpenLDAP

Post by ssmann.. » Sat, 12 Feb 2000 04:00:00




> On 10 Feb 2000 08:26:06 GMT,



> >On Wed, 09 Feb 2000 19:57:10 GMT,

> >>[I am reposting this to the Linux forum

because the Microsoft forum's
Quote:> >>aren't providing much help. I assume that

someone, somewhere has
Quote:> >>configured OpenLDAP for use as an LDAP service
for Outlook.]

> >I works fine for us, although we had to specify

the search base in OE
Quote:> >in some obscure advanced configuration window.

 Per default OE will use
Quote:> >a blanke search base, and openldap does not

like this very well.
Quote:

> I entered our search base in the Properties view
of the Directory
> Services tab. I wonder if this is the same

thing..

As fate would have it, I got this working last
night.  Our OpenLDAP server isn't based on "c=us",
but when I changed that setting in MS LDAP, I
still got nothing.

Based on another post in
novell.directoryservices.ldap, I went into the
registry and found the query string that the MS
LDAP client is using:
(&(mail=*)(|(mail=%s*)(|(cn=%s*)(|(sn=%s*)(givenNa
me=%s*)))))
I removed the "givenName" entry to arrive at:
(&(mail=*)(|(mail=%s*)(|(cn=%s*)(sn=%s*))))

Now when I pull up the LDAP address book, all I
have to do is hit the search button and the whole
list fills in.

(The above all typed in by hand, not copy/paste,
so beware of typos :-) )

I hope this gives you a good starting place at
least.

Steve Manning
Milwaukee, WI

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
Before you buy.