belkin box (OmniView 4-port) and linux

Post by Kevin Gallig » Fri, 31 May 2002 02:05:57

I'm running red hat 7.3 and kde 3 on one box and Win2kProf on another.
 I switch between with the belkin box.  Windows is fine, but when I
switch back to linux the mouse is nuts.  The "Start Menu" (or whatever
that's called in KDE) pops up and down, and random windows get focus.
Its only a matter of time before something important gets deleted.

Anyway, I've found that if I unplug my mouse from the belkin box and
then plug it back in everything is ok.  Any ideas?  This was happening
with a previous linux box (mandrake 8.0), but that got scrapped for
the mouse and other reasons (hadn't figured out the plug trick).  Both
are very similar hardware.  Compaq PII deskpro's.  Win2K is PIII

Any ideas?

Post by Vilmos Sot » Fri, 31 May 2002 03:38:23

> I'm running red hat 7.3 and kde 3 on one box and Win2kProf on another.
>  I switch between with the belkin box.  Windows is fine, but when I
> switch back to linux the mouse is nuts.  The "Start Menu" (or whatever
> that's called in KDE) pops up and down, and random windows get focus.
> Its only a matter of time before something important gets deleted.

I had similar problem but with a Master View switch. My solution was
to switch to a virtual terminal (Alt-Ctrl-F1) then switch back to
X (Alt-Ctrl-F7).

Vilmos

Post by nob.. » Fri, 31 May 2002 03:51:01

: I'm running red hat 7.3 and kde 3 on one box and Win2kProf on another.
:  I switch between with the belkin box.  Windows is fine, but when I
: switch back to linux the mouse is nuts.  The "Start Menu" (or whatever
: that's called in KDE) pops up and down, and random windows get focus.
: Its only a matter of time before something important gets deleted.

I long ago gave up on switch boxes since I never found one that worked
reliably. Now I just display everything on one screen by exporting
displays. This gives the distinct advantage of having multiple
machines displayed on the same screen  and no switching issues.

For all practical purposes this allows me to be running multiple
OS's at the same time. MUCH cleaner than switches of any knid.

Stan
--
Stan Bischof ("stan" at the below domain)
www.worldbadminton.com

Post by Robt. Mill » Fri, 31 May 2002 04:14:20

>: I'm running red hat 7.3 and kde 3 on one box and Win2kProf on another.
>:  I switch between with the belkin box.  Windows is fine, but when I
>: switch back to linux the mouse is nuts.  The "Start Menu" (or whatever
>: that's called in KDE) pops up and down, and random windows get focus.
>: Its only a matter of time before something important gets deleted.

> I long ago gave up on switch boxes since I never found one that worked
> reliably. Now I just display everything on one screen by exporting
> displays. This gives the distinct advantage of having multiple
> machines displayed on the same screen  and no switching issues.

> For all practical purposes this allows me to be running multiple
> OS's at the same time. MUCH cleaner than switches of any knid.

 How do you export the Win2k display?

--

(o<     Powered by SuSE Linux
//\     Virusproof. Crashproof.

  3:13pm  up 3 days, 32 min, 22 users,  load average: 1.36, 1.25, 1.09
processes 75525

Post by nob.. » Fri, 31 May 2002 05:20:05

:> For all practical purposes this allows me to be running multiple
:> OS's at the same time. MUCH cleaner than switches of any knid.

:  How do you export the Win2k display?

Actually I don't. I sit at the Windows box so that I can use latest/
greatest input devices , and then run X server for the other machines.
I use reflections X but there are plenty of other choices.

However , VNC works fine for exporting the Win2K display if you want
to go that way.

Stan
--
Stan Bischof ("stan" at the below domain)
www.worldbadminton.com

belkin box (OmniView 4-port) and linux

Post by Richard Stein » Fri, 31 May 2002 06:25:58

Here in comp.os.linux.misc,

Quote:>I'm running red hat 7.3 and kde 3 on one box and Win2kProf on another.
>I switch between with the belkin box.  Windows is fine, but when I
>switch back to linux the mouse is nuts.  The "Start Menu" (or whatever
>that's called in KDE) pops up and down, and random windows get focus.
>Its only a matter of time before something important gets deleted.

What type of mouse are you using?

I use a standard PS/2 mouse here (labelled "Microsoft Port Compatible
Mouse 2.0A") with a 4-port Belkin OmniCube KVM connected to:

  Compaq Deskpro 6200 (PPro/200, Red Hat 7.1 and 7.2, Mandrake 8.2)
  Compaq Deskpro 6200 (PPro/200, Windows 94 OSR2, BeOS 5 Pro)
  IBM IntelliStation Z Pro (PPro/200, Mandrake 8.2)
  Micron Millenia Pro2 Plus (PPro/200, OS/2 Warp 4)

with no problems at all.  I've not seen a mouse or keyboard-related
problem in over two years except if I try to switch boxes while one
of them is actually doing hardware detection at boot time.

Quote:>Anyway, I've found that if I unplug my mouse from the belkin box and
>then plug it back in everything is ok.  Any ideas?

Get a better (newer?) KVM switch?

--
 -Rich Steiner >>>---> http://www.visi.com/~rsteiner >>>---> Eden Prairie, MN
    OS/2 + BeOS + Linux + Win95 + DOS + PC/GEOS = PC Hobbyist Heaven! :-)

Post by Kevin Gallig » Fri, 31 May 2002 23:30:41

> Here in comp.os.linux.misc,

> >I'm running red hat 7.3 and kde 3 on one box and Win2kProf on another.
> >I switch between with the belkin box.  Windows is fine, but when I
> >switch back to linux the mouse is nuts.  The "Start Menu" (or whatever
> >that's called in KDE) pops up and down, and random windows get focus.
> >Its only a matter of time before something important gets deleted.

> What type of mouse are you using?

> I use a standard PS/2 mouse here (labelled "Microsoft Port Compatible
> Mouse 2.0A") with a 4-port Belkin OmniCube KVM connected to:

>   Compaq Deskpro 6200 (PPro/200, Red Hat 7.1 and 7.2, Mandrake 8.2)
>   Compaq Deskpro 6200 (PPro/200, Windows 94 OSR2, BeOS 5 Pro)
>   IBM IntelliStation Z Pro (PPro/200, Mandrake 8.2)
>   Micron Millenia Pro2 Plus (PPro/200, OS/2 Warp 4)

> with no problems at all.  I've not seen a mouse or keyboard-related
> problem in over two years except if I try to switch boxes while one
> of them is actually doing hardware detection at boot time.

> >Anyway, I've found that if I unplug my mouse from the belkin box and
> >then plug it back in everything is ok.  Any ideas?

> Get a better (newer?) KVM switch?

Its as if the data starts a little off and the linux box just doesn't
know where to start over.  The mouse is a 2 button whell mouse but
looks like it came with one of the compaqs, so could be a little off.
I should probably replace the mouse and go with something more
standard (like an actual logitec).  Any suggestions?

belkin box (OmniView 4-port) and linux

Post by Richard Stein » Sat, 01 Jun 2002 11:40:20

Here in comp.os.linux.misc,

Quote:>Its as if the data starts a little off and the linux box just doesn't
>know where to start over.  The mouse is a 2 button whell mouse but
>looks like it came with one of the compaqs, so could be a little off.
>I should probably replace the mouse and go with something more
>standard (like an actual logitec).  Any suggestions?

It's probably worth your while to experiment with a few different mice,
at least if you can obtain them.

Other than that, I'm at a loss...

--
 -Rich Steiner >>>---> http://www.visi.com/~rsteiner >>>---> Eden Prairie, MN
    OS/2 + BeOS + Linux + Win95 + DOS + PC/GEOS = PC Hobbyist Heaven! :-)
        Applications programmer (13 yrs) actively seeking employment.
             See web site in my signature for current resume.

belkin box (OmniView 4-port) and linux

Post by Kari Lai » Sat, 15 Jun 2002 04:38:19

It is a mouse protocol problem. On redhat linux run mouseconfig and
select Microsoft PS/2 mouse. After this X and Windows are using same
protocol(Microsoft) and there should be no problems switching between
Linux and Windows. That helped in my case. Even the wheel works.

Best Regards
Kari Laine

> I'm running red hat 7.3 and kde 3 on one box and Win2kProf on another.
>  I switch between with the belkin box.  Windows is fine, but when I
> switch back to linux the mouse is nuts.  The "Start Menu" (or whatever
> that's called in KDE) pops up and down, and random windows get focus.
> Its only a matter of time before something important gets deleted.

> Anyway, I've found that if I unplug my mouse from the belkin box and
> then plug it back in everything is ok.  Any ideas?  This was happening
> with a previous linux box (mandrake 8.0), but that got scrapped for
> the mouse and other reasons (hadn't figured out the plug trick).  Both
> are very similar hardware.  Compaq PII deskpro's.  Win2K is PIII

> Any ideas?

belkin box (OmniView 4-port) and linux

Post by Kevin Gallig » Sat, 29 Jun 2002 10:21:39

That worked somewhat.  I can go between Win2k and Linux without
pulling the mouse out.  The only down side is that the wheel doesn't
work in Linux, and if I go from Win to Linux and back, the wheel
doesn't work in Windows either.  Its like I'm missing a finger, but
Its much better on days when I go back and forth a lot.

Thanks for the tip.

-Kevin

> It is a mouse protocol problem. On redhat linux run mouseconfig and
> select Microsoft PS/2 mouse. After this X and Windows are using same
> protocol(Microsoft) and there should be no problems switching between
> Linux and Windows. That helped in my case. Even the wheel works.

> Best Regards
> Kari Laine

> > I'm running red hat 7.3 and kde 3 on one box and Win2kProf on another.
> >  I switch between with the belkin box.  Windows is fine, but when I
> > switch back to linux the mouse is nuts.  The "Start Menu" (or whatever
> > that's called in KDE) pops up and down, and random windows get focus.
> > Its only a matter of time before something important gets deleted.

> > Anyway, I've found that if I unplug my mouse from the belkin box and
> > then plug it back in everything is ok.  Any ideas?  This was happening
> > with a previous linux box (mandrake 8.0), but that got scrapped for
> > the mouse and other reasons (hadn't figured out the plug trick).  Both
> > are very similar hardware.  Compaq PII deskpro's.  Win2K is PIII

> > Any ideas?

1. Belkin OmniView 2-Port Kills Mouse in Linux

Hi Folks ...

I'm using a Belkin OmniView 2-Port KVM switch to move between Windows
2000 and Linux 7. When I switch from Linux to Windows and back, I lose
my mouse. How can I re-initialize the mouse, or set Linux or X Windows
to automatically re-initialize my mouse after a KVM switch?

Thanks in advance for your assistance.

More to come ...

Stephen G. McDowell

2. Does ftp:// access httpd?

3. get an unsigned number in bash2?

4. kernel 2.4.2 compilation problem

5. Belkin OmniView 2-Port Kills Mouse in Linix

6. ELF file format documentation? Where?

7. Belkin 8 Port OmniView Pro

8. Belkin OmniView SOHO series KVM

9. SUSE Linux/Omniview PS/2 2 Port