Dos/Win(vfat) file to Linux file (ext2) conversion utility

Dos/Win(vfat) file to Linux file (ext2) conversion utility

Post by Scott Shield » Tue, 12 Jan 1999 04:00:00

I have a video driver on a Dos disk.   How can I convert the Dos file to the
Linux file structure so that I can use "cp" or "mv" to place the file in the
/tmp directory from a mounted floppy.

I understand that mtools can take a file from Linux to Dos file structure,
how about for the reverse process?

Scott

Dos/Win(vfat) file to Linux file (ext2) conversion utility

Post by Pascal Rigau » Tue, 12 Jan 1999 04:00:00

Quote:> I have a video driver on a Dos disk.   How can I convert the Dos file to the
> Linux file structure so that I can use "cp" or "mv" to place the file in the
> /tmp directory from a mounted floppy.

> I understand that mtools can take a file from Linux to Dos file structure,
> how about for the reverse process?

the mtools can be used for both. In fact you don't have to ``convert'' the Dos
file to an Ext2 file. The file needn't be converted. You can use different types
of filesystems (like vfat, ext2, hpfs...) without seeing any difference (well,
for the vfat, you have some restrictions like no links...).

So the problem here is accessing the floppy. There two solutions mtools (easier)
and mounting the floppy.

For the mtools solution, it's easy. Just think dos/unix and that's it :
 every dos command you think of, put a m in front, and that's nearly it!

eg:
  mdir a:
  mcopy "a:*" /tmp             <- the " is necessary cuz of shell * behaviour
  mcopy /tmp/* a:

Hope it helps, Pixel.

Post by Codifex Maximu » Tue, 12 Jan 1999 04:00:00

> I have a video driver on a Dos disk.   How can I convert the Dos file to the
> Linux file structure so that I can use "cp" or "mv" to place the file in the
> /tmp directory from a mounted floppy.

> I understand that mtools can take a file from Linux to Dos file structure,
> how about for the reverse process?

> Scott

 You can mount a DOS filesystem like msdos, vfat or umsdos within Linux
easily.  You can copy/write them too with no problems.  From floppies  - they
are just a mounted filesystem in your directory tree.  Now to get the driver to
run... that is another thing.  Your driver is designed for DOS/Windows - it
ain't agonna work in Linux.  (Maybe inside of Bochs or VirtualPC maybe or even
DOS in a BOX)

--
Codifex Maximus
Same to you and whatever you meant by that!

Happiness is a static TCP/IP address...

Post by Jim Nicholso » Thu, 14 Jan 1999 04:00:00

> I have a video driver on a Dos disk.   How can I convert the Dos file to the
> Linux file structure so that I can use "cp" or "mv" to place the file in the
> /tmp directory from a mounted floppy.

If you have _mounted_ the floppy then just cp or mv the file, eg.

cp /mnt/floppy/file /tmp

Quote:

> I understand that mtools can take a file from Linux to Dos file structure,
> how about for the reverse process?

mcopy a:filename /tmp

You obviously haven't read the mtools man pages.

--
I am Dyslexic of Borg. Prepare to have your arse laminated.

1. Copy of large file from ext2 to vfat corrupts vfat filesystem.

Hello

I don't know if I this is the right group for this but ..., please
point me in the right direction if not.

After I copied a large file (52223944 bytes) from my ext2 filesystem
to my vfat filesystem I noticed the vfat filesystem was trashed.
A ls -l in the toplevel of the vfat filesystem returned mostly
strange characters. I booted DOS, used fdisk to make 2 partions on
the disk (I'm using a separate disk for DOS/Windows95) and formatted
them. Then I booted linux and copied the file to the second DOS
partition (d:) and the first partition (c:) was trashed again.

I'm using slackware 3.1 with 2.1.17, ncr53c810 driver ported from BSD
with tagged command queuing enabled (my linux disk support this).

Michael

Just using DOS/Windows95 for playing games.

2. ARP is on - what does it mean?

3. EXT2 TOOLS: Read ext2 files from DOS

4. Solaris/X86 for Thinkpad770

5. Updated Equalize patch

6. vfat program that reads/writes ext2 files

7. Mediacom Linux systems

8. Accessing Linux ext2 file system from DOS

9. Is there a utility to read Linux files under Dos?

10. WANTED : Utility to copy file from Dos Partition (Win95) to Linux Partition

11. Conversion utility for man source files?