nenscript v1.13 hangs printer

Post by David J. Christi » Tue, 11 Jun 1996 04:00:00

I am running linux 1.2.13. Whenever I print an ascii file with
nenscript 1.13 to my HP Laserjet 4M Plus printer, the file prints out
fine. However, this action hangs my printer such that any subsequent
nenscript jobs just output blank paper. The only way I've found to get
around this is to reset the printer manually after each nenscript
job. I have no such problem printing PostScript files with lpr.

Any suggestions?

Thanks in advance,
Dave

Neuromuscular Research Center & Department of Biomedical Engineering
Boston University

nenscript v1.13 hangs printer

Post by Mar » Thu, 13 Jun 1996 04:00:00

Quote:> I am running linux 1.2.13. Whenever I print an ascii file with
> nenscript 1.13 to my HP Laserjet 4M Plus printer, the file prints out
> fine. However, this action hangs my printer such that any subsequent
> nenscript jobs just output blank paper. The only way I've found to get
> around this is to reset the printer manually after each nenscript
> job. I have no such problem printing PostScript files with lpr.
> Any suggestions?

I'm using genscript 1.3.0.  I like it more than nenscript 1.13.  It's lots
more configurable and I haven't had any problems with it.  I've got a 4L
myself, run 1.2.11 and use magicfilter configured to catch all text print
requests and send them through genscript.  If you want to try genscript, I
found it at shareware.com through the 'all in one search page' which I
found on Yahoo.

--
                -- Mark --

Post by Jerry LeV » Thu, 13 Jun 1996 04:00:00

Quote:>I am running linux 1.2.13. Whenever I print an ascii file with
>nenscript 1.13 to my HP Laserjet 4M Plus printer, the file prints out
>fine. However, this action hangs my printer such that any subsequent
>nenscript jobs just output blank paper. The only way I've found to get
>around this is to reset the printer manually after each nenscript
>job. I have no such problem printing PostScript files with lpr.

>Any suggestions?

We had strange problems with our HPLJ4. I think the problem
was that the printer did not know the file was "done" and
was waiting for the printer to "timeout". We use apsfilter, I
fixed the problem by sending a <ctl-d> after each file was
printed. (It's not too difficult to see where to put this
in the apsfilter code.)  <ctl-d> acts like eof to most postscript
interpreters.

--Jerry LeVan