Master boot record with NT 4.0/RH5.0

Post by Ben Rusieck » Tue, 15 Sep 1998 04:00:00

To all,

I'm running a Pentium II system with 64 megs of RAM, and two physical
Western Digital IDE harddrives on my primary IDE channel and a regular
CD-ROM with a Re-writable CD-ROM on the second IDE channel.

I loaded the first physical harddrive with NT 4.0 and made it one big NTFS
partition.  I have loaded RH5.0 on the second harddrive with all
appropriate partitions including a shared partition but when it gets to the
part during the install about including an entry in the Master Boot Record
for launching other OS's, it says that there was an error installing the
entry in the MBR.

I guess my question is:  Can I have the first harddrive dedicated to NT and
the second dedicated to Linux?  If not, do I have to make some sort of
partition on the first harddrive for Linux?

Any help would be appriciated.

Thanks,

Ben

Post by dj » Tue, 15 Sep 1998 04:00:00

>To all,

>I'm running a Pentium II system with 64 megs of RAM, and two physical
>Western Digital IDE harddrives on my primary IDE channel and a regular
>CD-ROM with a Re-writable CD-ROM on the second IDE channel.

>I loaded the first physical harddrive with NT 4.0 and made it one big NTFS
>partition.  I have loaded RH5.0 on the second harddrive with all
>appropriate partitions including a shared partition but when it gets to the
>part during the install about including an entry in the Master Boot Record
>for launching other OS's, it says that there was an error installing the
>entry in the MBR.

>I guess my question is:  Can I have the first harddrive dedicated to NT and
>the second dedicated to Linux?  If not, do I have to make some sort of
>partition on the first harddrive for Linux?

>Any help would be appriciated.

>Thanks,

>Ben

Linux (or most OS's for that matter) ofter need to have something in
< 1024 cylinder of the drive to boot. I cant remember if Linux stiull
needs this...

The only other probs with NT and Linux on the same drive, is the
following exeption:

If you have a large (above 2 gig) NT partition it seems to crash. My
guess is that NT does something at boot to get around to 2G partition
limit, but with lilo there it cant. I have found the easy way around
this problem is to have a small 5 meg "boot" partition (DOS) at the
start of the drive. Ive had no probs with Linux & NT with NTFS
partitions under 2 gig....

HTH
Dan

Post by Michel Catuda » Tue, 22 Sep 1998 04:00:00

> Linux (or most OS's for that matter) ofter need to have something in
> < 1024 cylinder of the drive to boot. I cant remember if Linux stiull
> needs this...

Event if the hard disk isn't set as LBA, the second drive
was described as all Linux, I fail to see the problem
with the 1024 cylinder limitation. This is just a boot
problem as a drive not set as LBA can't boot anything
past 512MB.

Use the boot manager that comes with OS/2 or Partition Magic.
It should work even if NT blows it's own partition.

--
Tired of Windows' rebootive multitasking?
then try Linux's preemptive multitasking

1. Successful Multiboot setup when NT Loader owns the Master Boot Record

There seem to be many questions on this and related topics.  There is
a good solution based on the program called "bootpart" and techniques
developed by Gilles Vollant.  See the Web page at
http://ourworld.compuserve.com/homepages/gvollant/bootpart.htm

Using an earlier version of bootpart, I was able to set up multi-boot
for
NT, Linux, BeOS, and OS/2.  Gilles has a FAQ that discusses the
multiboot problem and the method for including LILO for booting.  For
Linux, booting is handled by NT Loader; the boot block is placed in the
Linux root partition, NOT in the MBR.  Gilles also has a handy routine
for fixing NT's MBR if it gets screwed up.

Booting multiple MS operating systems or OS/2 presents special problems,

which Gilles also discusses in detail.  Because of the MS-invented
MONSTROSITY of active, inactive, hidden, primary, virtual HD
partitions, everyone suffers.  In particular, all these OSs require a C:
drive,
and ONLY ONE MAY BE ACTIVE AT A TIME.  I don't THINK the
NT Loader changes a partition to active when it needs to be booted,  For

this reason, I set up an OS/2 Boot partition as one of the things loaded

from the NT Loader menu.  This knows how to change partitions back
and forth from active to inactive, so I could boot OS/2 after coming out

of NT, and vice versa.

Last night I did a re-install of Linux on my system.  During the
install, I
told it to write the boot sector in the /root partition.  Then I ran
bootpart,
and created a boot sector image of Linux's disk for NT Loader.  It took
about 10 minutes, and it works great!

Rollin Weeks

2. limiting multiple logins by same user

3. RH5.0+NT Server 4.0 + Win95 boot problem

4. Direct sockets in linux

5. Samba 1.9.18p7 Win NT 4.0 SERVER, Master Browser Problem

6. 3ware Raid

7. PCI-bus with Linux 0.99?

8. Master Boot Record Error

9. killing the master boot record

10. master boot record

11. Problem is Master boot record

12. Killed Master Boot Record with Dr Dos.