Installing Linux on Win '95 machine?

Post by Drom » Wed, 31 Jul 1996 04:00:00

        I'm thinking of installing Linux on a Windows '95 machine but I do not
want to have to do anything to keep the existing data on the drive.
Basiacly I'm not that intrested in backing up the machine if I don't
have to, but I realise that it may not be possible.  Is there anything
that I can safely do to install Linux without risking the loss of the
existing HD?  And can Linux write and read the existing HD (it has
"long name support").  Mostly what I'd like to do this for is to have
my own machine and this machine both running Linux accross an
Eithernet (or similar suported network) and to start playing around a
bit with the networking options availible.  Does this make sence to
anyone?  I sure hope so.
                                                 Dromio

--
Intrested in hand made textiles and more?
Visit <http://kootweb.com/trillium/trrasku/trrasku.html>

Installing Linux on Win '95 machine?

Post by Incon » Fri, 02 Aug 1996 04:00:00

You _should_ re-partiton your drive (aka "you're going to have to backup
and restore your Win95 stuff") and use some linux native partitions (for
swap and at least a root filesystem).

There are utilities that allow one to re-partition your drive on the fly
(w/o having to re-format the drive), but I havent' heard very good things
about them.

--

Post by Thierr » Fri, 02 Aug 1996 04:00:00

> There are utilities that allow one to re-partition your drive on the fly
> (w/o having to re-format the drive), but I havent' heard very good things
> about them.

My computer was shipped with Win95, and installing Linux was a breeze
(configuring it is another matter). What I did:

1. Defragment the disk. Do that with Win95's Defrag utility.
2. Repartition with FIPS. This utility can be had from most any shareware
repository. Allow some extra space on the Win95 partition in case you want to
install more DOS/Win stuff later.
3. Start Linux installation on the newly created blank partition.

I've used FIPS a few times. The only problem I have with it is that it's too
easy! Once you've shrunk your DOS partition to its minimal size, there's no
going back... :-)

--

La SF en francais : <URL:http://www-bi.inrialpes.fr/cgi-bin/han/francais.html>
LSR-IMAG. Unite de Recherche INRIA Rhone-Alpes.

Post by Giganto » Wed, 07 Aug 1996 04:00:00

> There are utilities that allow one to re-partition your drive on the fly
> (w/o having to re-format the drive), but I havent' heard very good things
> about them.

> --

I used a couple of freeware utilities in conjunction with dos/linux
fdisk. I've got a 250MB with a dos and a linux and a swap partition, and
I have'nt had any real problems.

1. Installing Redware Linux on a Win '95 machine

I would like to install Redware Linux on my Windows '95 machine. I
currently have one partition covering the whole 1.6Gb disk. I would
like to be able to install Linux in the same partition, and to be able
to run either Windows '95 or Linux, with the choice made available
via. a boot menu.

Could someone tell me if this possible? An if so, how?

Cheers, Henry.

--
Henry Williams

web:   http://www.netcomuk.co.uk/~parish

2. xfree86 need help

3. Network between Win 3.11/Win 95 machine and Linux machine

4. EQL load balancing Help wanted.

5. Co-installing Unix on Win '95 machine?

6. Advantech PCA-6179

7. Possible WIn'95 & WinNT workstation & Linux on 1 machine???

8. Try again.....

9. Win 95 machine - installing Linux?

10. Installing Linux on Win 95 machine

11. Need Help Installing Linux on a Win 95 Machine

12. Installing Linux on Win 95 machine