Have you heard about any new Win95,Win3.1,WinNt emulator?

Have you heard about any new Win95,Win3.1,WinNt emulator?

Post by Simeonidis Alexande » Sat, 21 Jun 1997 04:00:00

Well I think that some Linux users have used Win95 programms and maybe
they want to use them on their Linux box?Right?
So if anyone have heard about a such emulator please send an E-Mail or
publish it on the news.
Also,I have heard that exist a such emulator but I don't know where to
find it.It's a beta version I think and some people talk about that at
the AUTH(University of Thessaloniki Greece) but I can't still find it!

Post by Stanislav (St » Mon, 23 Jun 1997 04:00:00

> Well I think that some Linux users have used Win95 programms and maybe
> they want to use them on their Linux box?Right?
> So if anyone have heard about a such emulator please send an E-Mail or
> publish it on the news.
> Also,I have heard that exist a such emulator but I don't know where to
> find it.It's a beta version I think and some people talk about that at
> the AUTH(University of Thessaloniki Greece) but I can't still find it!

Wine you speak of :-)
The emulator you are talking about is called wine, and there is a
newsgroup in comp.emulators.mswindows.wine dedicated to it.  Try it, but
don't cross yer fingers yet that it'll run 32bit progs.  It runs Solitair
all right, but Word support is coming....

And yes, it was in beta for the past 3 years I'm dealing with Linux.
| Stanislav N. Vardomskiy - http://www.ncf.carleton.ca/~cn119/  Linux X.YZ.ZY |
| "Backups we have; it's restores that we find tricky" - Richard Letts at asr |

Have you heard about any new Win95,Win3.1,WinNt emulator?

Post by Andy Smit » Tue, 24 Jun 1997 04:00:00

<snip>

Quote:> Also,I have heard that exist a such emulator but I don't know where to
> find it.It's a beta version I think and some people talk about that at
> the AUTH(University of Thessaloniki Greece) but I can't still find it!

        I think you are probably refering to Wine. Wine is a Win 3.1, 95,
NT emulator that is still in the Alpha stage. It does some Win 3.1 16 bit
stuff really well, and is supposed to do some 32 bit Win 95-NT stuff (not
quite as well). I, personally, have had no luck running 32 bit apps under
Wine, but that's just my experience. You should be able to get it at:

                'ftp: tsx-11.mit.edu /pub/linux/ALPHA/Wine/'

Everything you need to compile, and run Wine should be there.

                                        Good Luck,
                                             -Andy-

 ----Andy Smith ------  reply to:  ----------------

" Everybody knows that the dice are loaded,
  Everybody rolls with their fingers crossed;
  Everybody knows that the war is over,
  Everybody knows that the good guys lost..."

                           -Leonard Cohen-

Post by Rob Penros » Tue, 24 Jun 1997 04:00:00

> Well I think that some Linux users have used Win95 programms and maybe
> they want to use them on their Linux box?Right?
> So if anyone have heard about a such emulator please send an E-Mail or
> publish it on the news.
> Also,I have heard that exist a such emulator but I don't know where to
> find it.It's a beta version I think and some people talk about that at
> the AUTH(University of Thessaloniki Greece) but I can't still find it!

http://www.willows.com/

--       .........

            :::  .:::  .::.:::.  .:::  :::. :::.:::
            :::  .:::. .:::  :::.  '::::'   :::^:::
          .::::::::::. Choice of a GNU Generation!

Have you heard about any new Win95,Win3.1,WinNt emulator?

Post by Byron A Je » Wed, 25 Jun 1997 04:00:00

->
-> Well I think that some Linux users have used Win95 programms and maybe
-> they want to use them on their Linux box?Right?
-> So if anyone have heard about a such emulator please send an E-Mail or
-> publish it on the news.
-> Also,I have heard that exist a such emulator but I don't know where to
-> find it.It's a beta version I think and some people talk about that at
-> the AUTH(University of Thessaloniki Greece) but I can't still find it!
-
-http://www.willows.com/

From the FAQ at www.willows.com:

--------------------------------------
3.5 What win32 applications run?

    NONE!
--------------------------------------

Microsoft is winning the race because they get to define the road. From what
I understand right now WINE is probably the closest to running Win32 based
programs.

But I turn the question around: What Win95 do you need to run? Are there native
equivanlents under Linux?

BAJ
--
Another random extraction from the mental bit stream of...
Byron A. Jeff - PhD student operating in parallel - And Using Linux!

Have you heard about any new Win95,Win3.1,WinNt emulator?

Post by Systemic (The Mash » Thu, 26 Jun 1997 04:00:00

I was reading a review in the June issue of Linux Journal last night about WABI 2.2.
I guess that currently it will run Windows through 3.11 for Workgroups.  It looks
very impressive, at least on paper.  Anyhow, the reviewer in the article alluded to
the fact that version 3.0 of WABI is due in July for Unix (system V?) with a version
for Linux to follow sometime thereafter.  WABI 3.0 supposedly will run Windows95 and
a large number of applications.  Just have to wait and see I suppose.

Systemic

P.S. WABI 2.2 is in the neighborhood of $200 so it definetely would require some thought.

Have you heard about any new Win95,Win3.1,WinNt emulator?

Post by Jim Parad » Fri, 27 Jun 1997 04:00:00

Quote:> Microsoft is winning the race because they get to define the road. From what
> I understand right now WINE is probably the closest to running Win32 based
> programs.

More importantly, Microsoft will *always* be ahead in the race, because
they can keep defining new APIs to stay one step ahead of any emulator.
Then they evangelize like crazy and convince software developers to exploit
the new APIs to the fullest.  As a result, emulators like WINE will *always*
be unable to run the latest software...

Back when there were multiple incompatible versions of UNIX, UNIX developers
got used to writing to the lowest common denominator because no *one*
platform carried enough of the market to allow developers to ignore all
the others.  Windows isn't like that... goodies like WINE are such a tiny
percentage of a tiny percentage of the marketplace, it's not worth it for
a vendor to ensure compatibility.  If it runs under Windows, it's good
enough.

--

"It's not procrastination, it's my new Just-In-Time Workload Management System!"

Post by Byron A Je » Fri, 27 Jun 1997 04:00:00

>> Microsoft is winning the race because they get to define the road. From what
>> I understand right now WINE is probably the closest to running Win32 based
>> programs.

>More importantly, Microsoft will *always* be ahead in the race, because
>they can keep defining new APIs to stay one step ahead of any emulator.
>Then they evangelize like crazy and convince software developers to exploit
>the new APIs to the fullest.  As a result, emulators like WINE will *always*
>be unable to run the latest software...

This isn't necessarily as bad as it seems. See it even takes the developers
awhile to grab ahold and utilize the new API's. On the other hand lots and
lots of users are still using the old software. My observation has been
that users usually will not upgrade OS's until there's an application that
they can't live without and doesn't currently run on their machine. So while
there are lots and lots of '95 and NT boxes (with Win32 apps) out there, there
are still even more 3.1 and 3.11 users too.

What I'm saying is that while M$ is plowing the road up ahead, the developers
that follow behind lock those API's into stone.

Another observation of mine: If The unix boxes could emulate only two
applications, Office and A web browser with all the plugins, that a very
large number of folks could switch. Now you still have to show them why it's
useful to switch, but it's a necessary stepping stone to get there. I think
WABI is on the right track here only guranteeing that the top apps run.

Quote:

>Back when there were multiple incompatible versions of UNIX, UNIX developers
>got used to writing to the lowest common denominator because no *one*
>platform carried enough of the market to allow developers to ignore all
>the others.  Windows isn't like that... goodies like WINE are such a tiny
>percentage of a tiny percentage of the marketplace, it's not worth it for
>a vendor to ensure compatibility.  If it runs under Windows, it's good
>enough.

True enough. I think we just need to emulate enough to run the top 10 or 20
Win32 apps, the others don't matter as much.

BAJ
--

Post by John Gira » Fri, 27 Jun 1997 04:00:00

: Wine is a Win 3.1, 95,
: NT emulator that is still in the Alpha stage. It does some Win 3.1 16 bit
: stuff really well, and is supposed to do some 32 bit Win 95-NT stuff (not
: quite as well). I, personally, have had no luck running 32 bit apps under
: Wine, but that's just my experience.

Okay, I'm going to skew this thread a bit and ask an only slightly-related
question: has anyone had luck getting a Win16 app that requires SHARE.EXE to
run under Wine?  Specfically, I'd like to be able to use the 16-bit version
of WordView (the MS-Word Viewer) that's downloadable from the MS webpage.

For some reason I remember using wordview under an older wine, maybe from
six months or a year ago, but I've deleted that old wine & my recollection
could always be faulty.

thanks for any tips
jg

--
"don't listen when you're told about the best days in your life     Spirit of
 a useless old expression, it means passing time until you die."     the West

Have you heard about any new Win95,Win3.1,WinNt emulator?

Post by Harold Stevens ** PLEASE SEE SIG » Sat, 28 Jun 1997 04:00:00

[Snip...]

Another observation of mine: If The unix boxes could emulate only two
applications, Office and A web browser with all the plugins, that a very
large number of folks could switch.

[Snip...]

True enough. I think we just need to emulate enough to run the top 10 or 20
Win32 apps, the others don't matter as much.

[Snip...]

Consistent with my informal observations: our users around here (mostly a
large number of engineers with some management and clerical staff), stuck
with dozens of icons on their MS-Windows/NT licensed and supported at the
very premium dollar over network servers, could only name 3 or 4 they use
on any given day. For the engineers, it seems mostly eXceed, Excel, Word,
and PowerPoint; for the others, Word, PowerPoint, and Excel. Both of them
use FileManager and continually fight the upgrade/portability problems of
various mailers. Those like me using Xterms and/or Linuxen PC skip the OS
toys and go straight to serious networking and crunching mainframes: SMP,
SMTP, NNTP, and HTML are some of our old running buddies.  :)

It is perhaps interesting that everybody insists on Netscape or MSIE on a
PC, to consider it useful in any sense. Myself, I've used some version of
Mosaic since The Web was something for cratering houseflies.   :)

Regards, Weird (Harold Stevens) ** IMPORTANT EMAIL INFO **
1. As antispam, I may code my email address with a leading "X".
2. Please remove the leading "X" (if any) to address email to me.
3. Please vent inconvenience at *promo and their Satanic spawn.

Standard Disclaimer: My opinions alone and not Texas Instruments.

Post by David Fogar » Thu, 03 Jul 1997 04:00:00

>[Snip...]
>Another observation of mine: If The unix boxes could emulate only two
>applications, Office and A web browser with all the plugins, that a very
>large number of folks could switch.
>[Snip...]
>True enough. I think we just need to emulate enough to run the top 10 or 20
>Win32 apps, the others don't matter as much.
>[Snip...]
>Consistent with my informal observations: our users around here (mostly a
>large number of engineers with some management and clerical staff), stuck
>with dozens of icons on their MS-Windows/NT licensed and supported at the
>very premium dollar over network servers, could only name 3 or 4 they use
>on any given day. For the engineers, it seems mostly eXceed, Excel, Word,
>and PowerPoint; for the others, Word, PowerPoint, and Excel. Both of them
>use FileManager and continually fight the upgrade/portability problems of
>various mailers. Those like me using Xterms and/or Linuxen PC skip the OS
>toys and go straight to serious networking and crunching mainframes: SMP,
>SMTP, NNTP, and HTML are some of our old running buddies.  :)

I agree with this completely.  I work a PC/Unix support desk and I see this everyday. 85% of our users are calling on Word, Excel, Access, and Browsers...

We see some calls on Exceed and a few on WincenterPro but that's about it.  The rest are all proprietary apps.

Quote:>It is perhaps interesting that everybody insists on Netscape or MSIE on a
>PC, to consider it useful in any sense. Myself, I've used some version of
>Mosaic since The Web was something for cratering houseflies.   :)
>Regards, Weird (Harold Stevens) ** IMPORTANT EMAIL INFO **
>1. As antispam, I may code my email address with a leading "X".
>2. Please remove the leading "X" (if any) to address email to me.
>3. Please vent inconvenience at *promo and their Satanic spawn.
>Standard Disclaimer: My opinions alone and not Texas Instruments.

1. OS/2, Linux, WinNT, Win3.11 and Win95 on Gateway P5-133 Elite.

All I want to know is - Does anyone know if the above config is Ok ?
I've currently got it on my Dell 4-100 (no Win95), now it's got to go
on to a Gateway P5-133 Elite. Any known problems with hardware ? The
machine has - Sanyo 3CD changer, 1.6 WestDigital PCI IDE or perhaps
the 2GB SCI-2 w Adaptec AHA-2940, a Matrox millenia 4MB, Ensoniq
Wavetable sound card

OS/2 will be Warp Connect, Linux will be whatever the latest is, WinNT
will be version 3.51 and Win95 will just be Win95. Finally, can Win311
co-exist on the same machine as Win95 (ie. seperate partitions, as
with the other OS's).

Many thanks,
R Jameson.
QFS, Dublin.

2. DOSEMU 1.0.2, Slackware Linux (Kernel 2.2.20) and "DOSNET"

3. WinNT under Linux or Linux under WinNT (was Re: Emulator for IMB)

4. how to make one object file from several object files

5. x Client for Win3.11/DOS/Win9x/WinNT??

6. Winchester

7. Triple-boot between SCO UNIX, Win95 and Win3.11

8. Looking for development tools (C compiler & libraries)

9. Linux, Win95, Win3.11/DOS setup

10. NT4.0/Win95/DOS/Win3.11/Slackware/RedHat

11. wabi win95 vs win3.11 and partitioning

12. Linux, DOS/Win3.1, and Win95... HELP!!!

13. linux,win95,win3.1