Any recommendations for distributions?

Post by Stephe » Mon, 26 Jun 2000 04:00:00

Hello!

I am a C programmer looking for a stable and proven Linux distribution
that will meet my needs. It needs to have gcc & etc., web server, news
server, email server, ftp server, web browser, networking utitlities, X
window system, Perl, PPP, multi-user, multi-tty, boot-loader that will
let me choose to boot in Win95 or Linux, and it doesn't have to be very
user-friendly.

Any recommendations? I'm leaning towards Slackware 7.0 right now, but I
want to be sure it will not be like the RedHat 5.0 distribution that I
bought a few years ago (it had so many problems, I found it to be a
waste of money and completely useless).

Also, can anyone point me to a good, comlete list of drivers for any
Linux distribution?

Have a good day!
Stephen
--

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
Before you buy.

Any recommendations for distributions?

Post by Rod Smi » Mon, 26 Jun 2000 04:00:00

[Posted and mailed]

Quote:> Hello!

> I am a C programmer looking for a stable and proven Linux distribution
> that will meet my needs. It needs to have gcc & etc., web server, news
> server, email server, ftp server, web browser, networking utitlities, X
> window system, Perl, PPP, multi-user, multi-tty, boot-loader that will
> let me choose to boot in Win95 or Linux, and it doesn't have to be very
> user-friendly.

Oddly enough, your requirements don't really narrow down the field very
much, unless that last one is interpreted as being "it should not be
user-friendly." All Linux distributions either come with these tools or
allow you to install them very easily.

Quote:> Any recommendations? I'm leaning towards Slackware 7.0 right now, but I
> want to be sure it will not be like the RedHat 5.0 distribution that I
> bought a few years ago (it had so many problems, I found it to be a
> waste of money and completely useless).

Without knowing what problems you had with RH 5.0, I can't offer any
advice or know whether any specific modern distribution today is better
in these respects.

You may want to check my web site on Linux distributions:

http://www.rodsbooks.com/distribs/

Quote:> Also, can anyone point me to a good, comlete list of drivers for any
> Linux distribution?

With *VERY* rare exceptions, drivers are no distribution-dependant.
Linux drivers are built into the kernel, or are available as kernel
modules. You can compile any kernel for any distribution. (Well, within
reason; particularly old kernels might not work well with new
distributions, for instance.) The kernel configuration utilities are
therefore the single most complete driver list, but there are outside
drivers. Probably the biggest such sources are the ALSA
(http://www.alsa-project.org/) and shareware OSS
(http://www.4front-tech.com/) sound drivers. There are probably other
links available at http://www.linux.org/ and other sites.

--

http://www.rodsbooks.com
Author of books on Linux networking & multi-OS configuration

Any recommendations for distributions?

Post by Stephe » Mon, 26 Jun 2000 04:00:00

> > Any recommendations? I'm leaning towards Slackware 7.0 right now,
but I
> > want to be sure it will not be like the RedHat 5.0 distribution that
> > bought a few years ago (it had so many problems, I found it to be a
> > waste of money and completely useless).

> Without knowing what problems you had with RH 5.0, I can't offer any
> advice or know whether any specific modern distribution today is
better
> in these respects.

> You may want to check my web site on Linux distributions:

> http://www.rodsbooks.com/distribs/

Very informative site. Unfortunately, you don't do a review on
Slackware. Would you consider doing a review of Slackware?

The problems I had with Redhat 5.0 include:

-"error" when it tried to install the bootloader (LILO) I had to
manually boot off of the boot disk for the install. I still have no idea
what would cause an "error" when it tried to write to the boot sector

-black & white X windows even though I specified a generic VGA video
card that could handle 8 colors in setup (which might have just been a
video card incompatability)

-X windows crashing when I tried to change a setting (I'm not sure what
setting I was trying to change, it was black & white and that prevented
me from being able to read some of the text, I think it was the colors)

After those problems, I deemed Win95 to be better for me at that time.
Now I am ready to get a better distribution/version now that I have more
knowlege and want the stability, efficiency, and power.

Have a nice day!
Stephen
--

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
Before you buy.

Any recommendations for distributions?

Post by spi.. » Mon, 26 Jun 2000 04:00:00

Quote:> Hello!
> I am a C programmer looking for a stable and proven Linux distribution
> that will meet my needs. It needs to have gcc & etc., web server, news
> server, email server, ftp server, web browser, networking utitlities, X
> window system, Perl, PPP, multi-user, multi-tty, boot-loader that will
> let me choose to boot in Win95 or Linux, and it doesn't have to be very
> user-friendly.

You've just about described every distribution (apart from the mini ones)
out there...

Quote:> Any recommendations? I'm leaning towards Slackware 7.0 right now, but I
> want to be sure it will not be like the RedHat 5.0 distribution that I
> bought a few years ago (it had so many problems, I found it to be a
> waste of money and completely useless).

Red Hat is up to 6.2 now... All the distributions are very different now
from how they were back in 1998. Red HAt do have a bit of a reputation for
trying to get things out quickly without proper testing, and the general
consensus is to not buy Red Hat x.0 or x.1 (the problems are usually fixed
by x.2).

Quote:> Also, can anyone point me to a good, comlete list of drivers for any
> Linux distribution?

There is a Hardware compatibility list out there somewhere, if that's what
you want... Linux tends not to have "drivers" in the windows sense, instead
it has Kernel modules....

Can't remember where the list is though, sorry.

|                          | graphical shell for a 16 bit patch to an 8 bit |
|Andrew Halliwell BSc(hons)| operating system originally  coded for a 4 bit |
|            in            |microprocessor, written by a 2 bit company, that|
|     Computer Science     |        can't stand 1 bit of competition.       |

Post by Dowe Kell » Mon, 26 Jun 2000 04:00:00

>There is a Hardware compatibility list out there somewhere, if that's what
>you want... Linux tends not to have "drivers" in the windows sense, instead
>it has Kernel modules....

>Can't remember where the list is though, sorry.

Two sites that may be helpful:

http://lhd.datapower.com/

http://metalab.unc.edu/mdw/HOWTO/Hardware-HOWTO.html

--

---
There are two major products that come out of Berkeley: LSD and UNIX.

Post by blowfis » Thu, 29 Jun 2000 04:00:00

> Hello!

> I am a C programmer looking for a stable and proven Linux distribution
> that will meet my needs. It needs to have gcc & etc., web server, news
> server, email server, ftp server, web browser, networking utitlities, X
> window system, Perl, PPP, multi-user, multi-tty, boot-loader that will
> let me choose to boot in Win95 or Linux, and it doesn't have to be very
> user-friendly.

> Any recommendations? I'm leaning towards Slackware 7.0 right now, but I
> want to be sure it will not be like the RedHat 5.0 distribution that I
> bought a few years ago (it had so many problems, I found it to be a
> waste of money and completely useless).

You forgot to mention: and a waste of time.

Quote:> Also, can anyone point me to a good, comlete list of drivers for any
> Linux distribution?

FreeBSD.

Alex Lam.

> Have a good day!
> Stephen
> --

> Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
> Before you buy.

Any recommendations for distributions?

Post by blowfis » Thu, 29 Jun 2000 04:00:00

> > Hello!

> > I am a C programmer looking for a stable and proven Linux distribution
> > that will meet my needs. It needs to have gcc & etc., web server, news
> > server, email server, ftp server, web browser, networking utitlities, X
> > window system, Perl, PPP, multi-user, multi-tty, boot-loader that will
> > let me choose to boot in Win95 or Linux, and it doesn't have to be very
> > user-friendly.

> You've just about described every distribution (apart from the mini ones)
> out there...

> > Any recommendations? I'm leaning towards Slackware 7.0 right now, but I
> > want to be sure it will not be like the RedHat 5.0 distribution that I
> > bought a few years ago (it had so many problems, I found it to be a
> > waste of money and completely useless).

> Red Hat is up to 6.2 now... All the distributions are very different now
> from how they were back in 1998. Red HAt do have a bit of a reputation for
> trying to get things out quickly without proper testing, and the general
> consensus is to not buy Red Hat x.0 or x.1 (the problems are usually fixed
> by x.2).

Yeah . Right!

Back in the old days, when Red Hat was just starting out,
and they're answering questions here actively, even, then,
they couldn't give me any solution to my problems that kept
me from installing their crappy distro successfully, while
at least Slackware were able to install and run quite
smoothly with my hardware.

Yes, I did tried their 6.2. It's still a joke.

Alex Lam.

Post by Rod Smi » Fri, 30 Jun 2000 04:00:00

>> Also, can anyone point me to a good, comlete list of drivers for any
>> Linux distribution?

> FreeBSD.

Just in case any newbies were wondering, FreeBSD is neither a list of
drivers nor a Linux distribution. It's an alternative UNIX-like OS.
Check http://www.freebsd.org. It may or may not be suitable for any
given person's needs. Similar comments apply to Linux, of course, as
well as to specific Linux distributions.

--

http://www.rodsbooks.com
Author of books on Linux networking & multi-OS configuration

1. recommendations for distribution

Hello All,

I'm looking for advice on which Linux/MkLinux to install on my beige G3.  I
see a book/CD combo from PrimeTime Freeware, mention of a version from
RedHat in their "RoughCuts" product, and now LinuxPPC from linuxPPC.com.
Easy install and a high degree of compatiblity with my Intel-based RedHat
system are priorities.

Thanks for your help!

--john

--
John Cartwright

2. Dell workstation 610 with dual Xeon

3. Seeking recommendations for LINUX distribution

4. ATI 3d Expression supported by Xfree??

5. Distribution Recommendations ??

6. Duplicated mails with sendmail

7. Commercial Distribution recommendation?

8. Memory leak with latest AIX 4.2.1 patches

9. Linux distribution recommendation

10. Linux Distribution Recommendation Requested

11. Distribution for a Mac 7300? Recommendations?

12. Linux Distribution Recommendations

13. Linux CDROM distribution recommendations sought