How do you tell what is using swap

Post by Harold Hen » Fri, 25 Jul 1997 04:00:00

Just a curious question. How does one tell what is swapped out. I wonder
because even after closing almost all applications there is still swap in
use and even after waiting 24 hours it is still swappped.

--

How do you tell what is using swap

Post by Henrik Storn » Fri, 25 Jul 1997 04:00:00

Quote:>Just a curious question. How does one tell what is swapped out. I wonder
>because even after closing almost all applications there is still swap in
>use and even after waiting 24 hours it is still swappped.

'ps -max', look in the SWAP column

--

"The POP3 server service depends on the SMTP server service, which
 failed to start because of the following error:

Post by James Youngma » Sat, 26 Jul 1997 04:00:00

> Just a curious question. How does one tell what is swapped out. I wonder
> because even after closing almost all applications there is still swap in
> use and even after waiting 24 hours it is still swappped.

The output os "ps ax" indicates how much swap processes are using.

Post by Zdravko Balor » Thu, 31 Jul 1997 04:00:00

: Just a curious question. How does one tell what is swapped out. I wonder
: because even after closing almost all applications there is still swap in
: use and even after waiting 24 hours it is still swappped.

ps -ax shows swaped processes in parenthesis like (bash)

Post by Robert Savo » Fri, 01 Aug 1997 04:00:00

: : Just a curious question. How does one tell what is swapped out. I wonder
: : because even after closing almost all applications there is still swap in
: : use and even after waiting 24 hours it is still swappped.

: ps -ax shows swaped processes in parenthesis like (bash)

One other thing to note is that processes that are in the swapped memory
will remain swapped until they are utilized by the system again. The
swapped processes will have a STAT of W(aiting).

--
Robert Savoie
Information Systems Manager