ATI M64 "Win Turbo" Problem with XFree 3.1.2E

ATI M64 "Win Turbo" Problem with XFree 3.1.2E

Post by Jason Freu » Thu, 22 Aug 1996 04:00:00

I installed 3.1.2E with the Mach64 server and I still have problems.

I installed the 3.1.2D files and then installed 3.1.2E (according to the
relnotes).  And now, I'm able to get into openwindows, however all the
windows and gadgets are drawn with artifacts on their left and right sides.
I see overdrawn lines, blank spots, and other garbage as if the
X-coordinates for gadgets is always a few (1-20) pixels off.

I'm suspicious of a couple of things:

1) When I installed a couple of 3.1.2D packages such as x312dbin and maybe
lib, it installed a bunch of stuff, but it looks like it terminated early
with an error message: tar: broken pipe (for no reason).  There were also
a couple of link error messages such as lib6.0.so (or whatever): file already
exists.  I had run the preinst.sh when installing 3.1.2D first.  Anyway, I
tried gunziping the suspect .tgz files several times, and each time they
installed a bunch of stuff and then terminated with a broken pipe to tar
(gunzip -d < file | tar -xvf -)

2) When building my XF86Config using xf86config, I am not sure about the
option for the graphics card.  There were about 8 Mach 64 choices, none
of them were "ATI Win Turbo" (which is my card, and which was available under
the old 3.1.2), but I tried about 4 different choices that looked close to
what I have, and none of them had a different effect on the window garbage.

Also, I tried to get into X, and I got a black&white patterned background
and an X cursor.  The mouse works perfectly, but the mousebuttons didn't do
anything so I couldn't see any windows.  Maybe I don't have my dot files
setup correctly.  It would be interesting to see if the same artifacts
appear in X gadgets as appeared in openwin gadgets.

Any ideas what I should do next?
Thanks,
~v

--

Phone: 205-802-7345(V/F)       Birmingham, AL 35209   Amiga3000 & 486/Linux
http://www.cis.uab.edu/info/grads/jlf/

ATI M64 "Win Turbo" Problem with XFree 3.1.2E

Post by orm.. » Fri, 23 Aug 1996 04:00:00

Quote:>I installed 3.1.2E with the Mach64 server and I still have problems.

>I installed the 3.1.2D files and then installed 3.1.2E (according to the
>relnotes).  And now, I'm able to get into openwindows, however all the
>windows and gadgets are drawn with artifacts on their left and right sides.
>I see overdrawn lines, blank spots, and other garbage as if the
>X-coordinates for gadgets is always a few (1-20) pixels off.

Add the line: Option "no_block_write" to the device entry in the config, then reboot. Worked for me.

GammaTech, Inc.       Product Development