Help XFree86 Configuration

Post by Jim Bamfo » Sat, 15 Jul 1995 04:00:00

I am using a Orchard Fahrenheit 64 graphics card. I am having trouble with configuration of the Xconfig for this card. To be exact the Clocks values. Can someone be real nice and pass the Xconfig file to me or give me what the clock values should be.

                                                Thanks
                                                        Jim

Help XFree86 Configuration

Post by B. James Phillipp » Tue, 18 Jul 1995 04:00:00

Hello,

        My fiancee noticed this weekend that xhextris and xtetris
no longer function under X11R6 XFree86 3.1.1, all the Slackware beta
ELF.  Xtetris WORKS fine but cannot open (high score file?).  I'm sure I
can fix that.  Xhextris just dumps core.  Hmm.  Also, when I try to
resize an Xpaint windows, it dumps core as well.  No biggies; I ain't
complainin.  Just thought I'd spread the news.   --Thx

-B. James Phillippe
--

Valued Client Since 1.1.59

Help XFree86 Configuration

Post by B. James Phillipp » Tue, 18 Jul 1995 04:00:00

> Hello,

>    My fiancee noticed this weekend that xhextris and xtetris
> no longer function under X11R6 XFree86 3.1.1, all the Slackware beta
> ELF.  Xtetris WORKS fine but cannot open (high score file?).  I'm sure I
> can fix that.  Xhextris just dumps core.  Hmm.  Also, when I try to
> resize an Xpaint windows, it dumps core as well.  No biggies; I ain't
> complainin.  Just thought I'd spread the news.   --Thx

Oops, minor correction: xhextris doesn't work in X.  xtetris does, but
dumps core from the command line and can't read the high score file (like
I said, this is no real problem).

-B. James Phillippe
--

Valued Client Since 1.1.59

Help XFree86 Configuration

Post by B. James Phillipp » Tue, 18 Jul 1995 04:00:00

Hello,

        I personally resolved my PC delete problem with loadkeys a while
back, but I saw a rather interesting solution posted a few days ago
involving some file in /etc/skel...?  Can someone forward this to me, or
the original poster tell me more in detail how (s)he accomplished this?

-B. James Phillippe
--

Valued Client Since 1.1.59

Help XFree86 Configuration

Post by B. James Phillipp » Tue, 18 Jul 1995 04:00:00

Hi.

        I have an all-ELF XFree86 3.1.1.  It came with xboard.  I have 12
megs of RAM and 15 of swap.  Don't get me wrong; xboard looks like a nice
program and all, but... I've seen a whole HELL of a lot more
decent/powerful/resource-consuming/graphix-intensive games, for DOS,
Windows, Linux and X, and none of THEM kill the machine via swap.  I
would like to play a little chess every now and then, but I'm tired of
having to kill -9 xboard before I even get to make a move.  Can this be
fixed?

(For those who are not sure what I'm talking about, xboard starts to beat
the*ens out of the HD by swapping severly as soon as it's ran.  In 30
seconds your system is unusable, and you must wait for X to die from out
of memory errors before you can do anything).

-B. James Phillippe
--

Valued Client Since 1.1.59

Help XFree86 Configuration

Post by Rene Pijlma » Tue, 18 Jul 1995 04:00:00

Quote:

>    I have an all-ELF XFree86 3.1.1.  It came with xboard.  I have 12
>megs of RAM and 15 of swap.  Don't get me wrong; xboard looks like a nice
>program and all, but... I've seen a whole HELL of a lot more
>decent/powerful/resource-consuming/graphix-intensive games, for DOS,
>Windows, Linux and X, and none of THEM kill the machine via swap.  I
>would like to play a little chess every now and then, but I'm tired of
>having to kill -9 xboard before I even get to make a move.  Can this be
>fixed?

    xboard -fcp "gnuchessx -C 2000" -scp "gnuchessx -C 2000"

HTH,
--
-Ren\'e Pijlman-                      _-^^-_

                                   //   _ -  /
On no account allow a Vogon       || \  -  /\\
to read poetry at you.            ||  \___/ ||
- Hitchiker's Guide to the Galaxy ||       //|\

Post by J Bodl » Wed, 19 Jul 1995 04:00:00

|> (For those who are not sure what I'm talking about, xboard starts to beat
|> the*ens out of the HD by swapping severly as soon as it's ran.  In 30
|> seconds your system is unusable, and you must wait for X to die from out
|> of memory errors before you can do anything).
|>
|> -B. James Phillippe

I have had a similar experience but my woes didn't start until I asked
xboard to play itself, boy I didn't realize what I * I was until
I was given the whip!  But this leads me to another question.  Someone
suggested using ctrl+alt+f[x] from within X to get up another virtual terminal
(I thought maybe this would be a 'better' way to kill an application that
hogs the system thru endless swapping).  When I tried this I couldn't get back
to the graphics mode on the virtual terminal that X was running on!
Suggestions?

J. Cade Bodley

BTW I have 16MB RAM and a 16 MB swap
--

Dept 4a4,  IBM   Rochester, Minnesota

Help XFree86 Configuration

Post by Lex Spo » Sun, 23 Jul 1995 04:00:00

: |>
[...]

Alt-F7 to get back to X.

Also, Ctrl-Alt-Backspace under X is pretty neat (just save all your work
before you try it :)  )

xboard is great on my computer for moving pieces around and for
Internet Chess Server, but swaps like crazy if I tell it to
actually start caculating moves.

Lex

: J. Cade Bodley

: BTW I have 16MB RAM and a 16 MB swap
: --

: Dept 4a4,  IBM   Rochester, Minnesota

1. Help: XFree86 Configuration File for Matrox MGA

Konichiwa Gong,

I saw your post on usenet. I am having trouble with xwindows.
Could you kindly share their experieince with me?

I am using LINUX slackware 1.2 on a IMB 486/66 PC w/32 mg ram.
My system boots fine. I want to learn about x windows. I installed it
off a cd-rom. When I run any xwindow commands likexview, xv, etc;
the system responds with "Can't open display".

I set the display to 16 color VGA color during the xwindow setup.

Could you kindly share their experieince with me? What needs to be
done to configure xwindow properly? In windoze 3.1, I simply type
"win", but in XFree86 is there a similiar command and what is it?

Where on the net can I get FAQ's on this subject?

Any comment, suggestion, or tip would be greatly appreciated!

--
Peace

    ////    Japanese Architecture  ////
   //// http://www.archiweb.com   ////
  ////  Team OS/2 Tokyo, Japan   ////

2. Changing info in file

3. Need help with XFree86 configuration

4. Using threads with message queues

5. help with xfree86 configuration PLEASE

6. pseudo terminal lock out

7. Help ! XFree86 configuration problem

8. Productivity on NT and Linux

9. Need help with XFree86 configuration

10. HELP: XFree86 3.3.2.3 configuration woes

11. Help with XFree86 configuration

12. XFree86 3.1 Configuration Help Needed

13. HELP with XFree86 Configuration