i386 kernel unable to handle mem req: kernel or hardware problem?

i386 kernel unable to handle mem req: kernel or hardware problem?

Post by Dick Repas » Tue, 22 Oct 1996 04:00:00

I recently upgraded from kernel 2.0.13 to 2.0.21 and then quickly to
2.0.22.  A problem began appearing with 2.0.21 and also appears in
2.0.22.  I honestly do not know whether it is a kernel problem or
possibly a hardware problem with memory on my machine.  I started
tracking it down but had difficulty doing so because I did not have
System.map files. (I didn't know about them, but do now.) I'm posting
this in hopes that someone can tell me straitout whether this is a
hardware problem or a kernel problem.

The problem:
The system fails in one of two ways: a) the screen flashes and
suddenly the the pc hardware/setup screen appears. The system log
contains no sign of an error having ocurred.  b) A process fails
and dumps core.  In the system log, at the time of failure there are
two errors for the same process. The error is:
 date localhost kernel: Unable to handle kernel paging request at virtual
 address y.
The offending processes are the same in both messages for any one
failure, but differ between failure episodes.  Process resulting in
failure include in order of appearance: crond, rxvt, update. Oops
numbers have been 0 and 2.

So, I've rebuilt kernel 2.0.22 and installed System.map, and I'm
waiting for failure to happen again.  But, can anyone provide some
insight into what is happening?

The system:
i386 Pentium 133

Matronix motherboard

16MB memory - no parity

all hardware devices on Buslogic 946c controller (seems irrelevant here)
Red Hat 3.0.3 installation.

kernel source and appropriate applications updated for kernel 2.0.0
   using redhat update rpms.

kernel source immediately patched to 2.0.13 and installed 18 August.
No problems.

Kernel patched to 2.0.21 and installed 12 October.
System experienced two type b failures (didn't have wherewithal to
check the log - dumb).

Patched again to 2.0.22 and installed 15 October.
System stable until 20 October (4-18 hr of power on each day) when it failed
four times in quick succession: type b failure, type a failure, type a
failure, type b failure.