pppd CHAP and BTConnect

Post by andyhill8.. » Sun, 31 Dec 1899 09:00:00

Hi All

Just switched to BT connect unmetered access and trying to get our
Slackware box to connect.

Had the setup working previously with Demon and Ezesurf, but these
didn't use CHAP.

Having worked through various problems, I think the problem may be with
the actual CHAP secrets file.

BT aren't a lot of help concerning linux, but they did confirm that
they use CHAP.

The connection works with Windoze, so the account is set up OK.

Has anyone done this before?

My current CHAP secrets file contains

<my_BT_userid>    *     <my_BT_password>
*                 <my_BT_userid>    <my_BT_password>

Any ideas?

TIA
Andy Hill

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
Before you buy.

pppd CHAP and BTConnect

Post by Bill Unr » Sun, 31 Dec 1899 09:00:00

>Just switched to BT connect unmetered access and trying to get our
>Slackware box to connect.
>Had the setup working previously with Demon and Ezesurf, but these
>didn't use CHAP.
>Having worked through various problems, I think the problem may be with
>the actual CHAP secrets file.
>BT aren't a lot of help concerning linux, but they did confirm that
>they use CHAP.
>My current CHAP secrets file contains
><my_BT_userid>    *     <my_BT_password>
>*                 <my_BT_userid>    <my_BT_password>

Get rid of the second line, it is not needed or wanted. Some of the docs
talk about it but that is for symmetrical authentication ( where you
authenticate the far side ) and no ISP I have ever heard of will allow
themselves to be authenticated. Make sure tht you do NOT have any of the
options to ppp which refer to chap or pap in you options file or on your
pppd command line. Thos eall refer to you authenticating them and will
mess everything up.
Finally, if you want more help, (the above comments on your chap secrets
file should not be causing the problem) please post a debugging log. Or
read
axion.physics.ubc.ca/ppp-linux.html
for a step by step procedure for connecting and help in debugging the
logs.

pppd CHAP and BTConnect

Post by D'Arque Bisho » Sun, 31 Dec 1899 09:00:00

Hey there,

> Hi All
> Just switched to BT connect unmetered access and trying to get our
> Slackware box to connect.
> Had the setup working previously with Demon and Ezesurf, but these
> didn't use CHAP.
> Having worked through various problems, I think the problem may be with
> the actual CHAP secrets file.

*snip*

I haven't had much experience working with CHAP, myself, but have you tried
using Slackware's pppsetup script?  It'll set up all of the parameters
necessary so that you can start and stop your PPP connection with ppp-go
and ppp-off, and it DOES have support for CHAP.  If you haven't given that
a try, I would HIGHLY recommend it. :)

Hope this helps...

        "Do you see the smile in my words, sad and evil?  Sad because
        I am utterly alone.  Evil because I am dead and yet I live.
        Can you hear me?  Listen.  A dead man visits you."
                                       --James O'Barr, The Crow

                    http://www.ravenloft.net/~drkbish

        "For a dark man shall come unto the House of God, and the
        darkness shall be upon him, yea, even within him."
                                   -- from Noctropolis: Night Vision

pppd CHAP and BTConnect

Post by andyhill8.. » Sun, 31 Dec 1899 09:00:00

Thanks for the help guys!

I got it sorted with pppsetup, which I had to install as the machine is
not running the very latest Slackware.

Don't know exactly where the problem was until I get chance to properly
examine the config files created by pppsetup.

Cheers
Andy

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
Before you buy.

pppd CHAP and BTConnect

Post by Syberlas » Sat, 02 Sep 2000 21:27:02

hi Andy,

if you have a look in the btinternet.linux newsgroup you'll find an
excellent faq.

good luck.

> Hi All

> Just switched to BT connect unmetered access and trying to get our
> Slackware box to connect.

> Had the setup working previously with Demon and Ezesurf, but these
> didn't use CHAP.

> Having worked through various problems, I think the problem may be with
> the actual CHAP secrets file.

> BT aren't a lot of help concerning linux, but they did confirm that they
> use CHAP.

> The connection works with Windoze, so the account is set up OK.

> Has anyone done this before?

> My current CHAP secrets file contains

> <my_BT_userid>    *     <my_BT_password>
> *                 <my_BT_userid>    <my_BT_password>

> Any ideas?

> TIA Andy Hill

> Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/ Before you buy.

1. pppd - PAP, CHAP, MS-CHAP, MS-CHAP-v2 protocol negotiation

Hi,

We have clients connecting to pppd 2.4.2b1.
Clients are able to connect using PAP, CHAP, MS-CHAP, MS-CHAP-v2 if
the pppd configuration is set up to require a specific protocol, eg:

If we change /etc/ppp/options to not request a specific protocol,
clients can only connect using PAP or MS-CHAP-V2. Client trying to
connect through CHAP or MS-CHAP fail and Pppd logs the error "peer
refused to authenticate: terminating link"

pppd configuration:

We'd like our clients to be able to connect using PAP, CHAP, MS-CHAP
or MS-CHAP-v2, the protocol being negotiated by server and client...

I suppose it's a pppd configuration issue; any help is highly
appreciated.
Thx.
dan

2. I seem to have broken KDE 1.1.1

3. Connecting pppd to NT server without chap/ms-chap

4. mke2fs hangs formatting e3fs partition

5. Request for Help with pap/chap pppd dial-in script

6. More raw socket questions

7. how do work chap for linux pppd?

8. Performanceproblem with Samba 2.04b and Win98!

9. CHAP with pppd

10. pppd daemon and chap-secrets file authentication

11. Success! pppd -> win98 with ms-chap authentication

12. PPPD & CHAP

13. pppd with CHAP.