Linux can't find USR PCI hardware modem

Post by vpierc » Thu, 07 Sep 2000 02:07:36

Hi,

I recently upgraded my motherboard (the Linux partitions were hosed by my
disk contollers failing) and now I can't initialize my 3-COM PCI
controller-based internal modem.  I was able to initialize the modem (and go
online
and surf, etc.) before I swapped the motherboard.

The thing that really gets me is that the modem works fine under Windows
(com5, IRQ 9, I/O 0x1050-0x1057--IRQ holder for PCI steering has my sound
card, my USR/3-COM 56K Fax PCI modem, and Intel 82371AB/EB PCI to USB
Universal Host Controller sharing the same IRQ (9)).

I do a cat /proc/pci and find the IRQ and I/O
values for what I take to be the modem (they are the same values as in
Windows on my dual-boot system with Redat 6.2.14).

Then I type

setserial /dev/ttyS1 irq 9 port 0x1051 autoconfig

There is a link between  /dev/modem and /dev/ttyS1.

When I go to Gnome ppp to dial up a connection, nothing happens.  Minicom
just sits there too--it seems to think that it has dialed up and connected
but it hasn't--no dialing, handshaking at all, and no "OK" message.  When I
run a debug in Redhat Config for the modem, I get the message that there is
an I/O problem.  Wvdialconf also says there is no serial port.

When I type dmesg I find the following seemingly relevant lines:

Serial driver version 4.27 with MANY-PORTS MULTIPORT SHARE_IRQ enabled
ttyS00 at 0x03f8 (irq = 4) is a 16550A
ttyS01 at 0x02f8 (irq = 3) is a 16550A
Creative SBLive! at 0x1020 on irq 9

When the modem was working before I swapped motherboards, the modem shared
IRQ 12 with the sound card, and the modem was assigned com 5 under Windows.
This setup presented no problems for Linux then.  But now Linux can't find
the modem.  I've been looking at the MODEM-HOW-TO pages and have to say I'm
still stumped.

Does anyone have any suggestions about some things I might try to figure
this problem out?

Thanks!

Van

Bloomington, Indiana
USA

Linux can't find USR PCI hardware modem

Post by Pete Zaitc » Thu, 07 Sep 2000 02:53:11

Quote:> setserial /dev/ttyS1 irq 9 port 0x1051 autoconfig

Why is it not 0x1050 ?

Quote:> Serial driver version 4.27 with MANY-PORTS MULTIPORT SHARE_IRQ enabled

I think Ted did a new serial.c with PCI option for latest 2.2.x,
try to investigate that. It may remove a need for setserial.

--Pete

Linux can't find USR PCI hardware modem

Post by vpierc » Thu, 07 Sep 2000 04:30:15

Thanks for the info!  You are right about the 1051.  I have tried 1050 (with
no success) and that should be the one I use if the modem will otherwise
work.

Quote:> > setserial /dev/ttyS1 irq 9 port 0x1051 autoconfig

> Why is it not 0x1050 ?

> > Serial driver version 4.27 with MANY-PORTS MULTIPORT SHARE_IRQ enabled

> I think Ted did a new serial.c with PCI option for latest 2.2.x,
> try to investigate that. It may remove a need for setserial.

> --Pete

Will I have to reconfigure the kernel for that?

I think I have a motherboard that won't allow Linux to configure the PCI
modem correctly (Intel "Seattle"
SE440BX for Pentium II).  Anyone hear of problems with this board?

When I type

cat /proc/pci

I find the same irq and port that Windows uses (successfully) with my
3-COM/USR controller-based PCI modem (model 3CP5610A).  I try to use those
same values in a setserial command to initialize the modem but nothing
happens.  Linux just returns a prompt.

I have come up with some diagnostic data.  I seem to have two serial ports
but the PCI modem as serial port isn't registering with Linux.  Why?  The
00:0e.0 address that lspci lists for the modem looks strange.  Is it o.k. or
not?  Maybe someone can help me deduce what these Linux messages mean.

/dev/ttyS0, UART: 16550A, Port: 0x03f8, IRQ: 4
/dev/ttyS1, UART: 16550A, Port: 0x02f8, IRQ: 3
/dev/ttyS2, UART: unknown, Port: 0x03e8, IRQ: 4
/dev/ttyS3, UART: unknown, Port: 0x02e8, IRQ: 3

00:00.0 Host bridge: Intel Corporation 440BX/ZX - 82443BX/ZX Host bridge
(rev 02)
00:01.0 PCI bridge: Intel Corporation 440BX/ZX - 82443BX/ZX AGP bridge (rev
02)
00:07.0 ISA bridge: Intel Corporation 82371AB PIIX4 ISA (rev 02)
00:07.1 IDE interface: Intel Corporation 82371AB PIIX4 IDE (rev 01)
00:07.2 USB Controller: Intel Corporation 82371AB PIIX4 USB (rev 01)
00:07.3 Bridge: Intel Corporation 82371AB PIIX4 ACPI (rev 02)
00:0e.0 Serial controller: US Robotics/3Com 56K FaxModem Model 5610 (rev 01)
00:10.0 Multimedia audio controller: Creative Labs SB Live! EMU10000 (rev
07)
00:10.1 Input device controller: Creative Labs SB Live! (rev 07)
01:00.0 VGA compatible controller: nVidia Corporation Riva TNT 128 (rev 04)

Scanning your serial ports for a modem.

Port Scan<*1>: Ignoring ttyS0 because /dev/mouse is a link to it.
ttyS1<*1>: ATQ0 V1 E1 -- ATQ0 V1 E1 -- ATQ0 V1 E1 -- nothing.
Port Scan<*1>: S2   S3

Sorry, no modem was detected!  Is it in use by another program?
Did you configure it properly with setserial?

Please read the FAQ at http://www.worldvisions.ca/wvdial/

----

Thanks!

Van

Bloomington, Indiana
USA

1. USR Hardware PCI Modem

I am a newbie trying to install a Us Robotics 3cp5610 on a RedHat 9.0 box. I
know that PCI is not the way to go but that's what I have.

I tried to do set serial to ttyS3 but I kept getting
"Cannot set serial info: Address already in use."

I did cat /proc/interrupts and found that irq 12 was being shared by a usb
port. So I went into the bios and disabled that usb port and both serial
ports to make sure there was no i/o conflicts.

Then I did the setserial command putting in the io address and irq and it
seemed to have set the modem on ttyS4.

When I do 'cat /proc/ioports ' I get
d000-d007: Us Robotics/3Com 56K FaxModem Model 5610
   d000-d007: Serial(set)

When I do 'dmesg | grep ttyS' I get
tty4 at port 0xd000 irq 12 is a 16550A

Does this mean that the modem is installed or not? It does not show up in
devices.

When I configure and run KPPP I get 'The Modem is Busy".

Can anyone tell me what might be going on?

Thank you in advance,
Chris

2. named connection refused?

3. PCI Hardware Modem USR 2977 not recognized after install in Suse 8.1

4. HELP : Serious print problems in LINUX!

5. Can't find modem, can dial in but get disconnected, due to no modem found.,

6. System is too big

7. USR PCI Modems & Linux? Help

8. mozilla and windws fonts, revisited

9. linux & 3com USR 56k PCI fax Modem

10. 56K USR PCI modem and Redhat Linux

11. Wanted: recommendation for PCI Hardware modem for Linux in UK

12. Linux won't recognize my PCI hardware :(

13. kmp3 won't compile, can't find /usr/bin/moc