Anyboy have the Funai (Pan) CD-ROM drive working??

Anyboy have the Funai (Pan) CD-ROM drive working??

Post by Wig » Mon, 13 Feb 1995 19:03:15

I just received my newest computer from a company called "System Dynamic
Group"  (also known as Dynasys) anyways I have everything working and linux
running except for the CD-ROM drive.

I have no idea what make or model the CD-ROM drive is or what kind of card
it is hooked up to and the documentation for it, of course, sucks.

the best I can do is that the interface card is manufactured by a company
called "Sun Moon Star"? and that the CD-ROM poses to be a Funai (Pan)
CD-ROM drive. (though it's internals consist of mostly Sony CXxxxxxxx
chips)

I tried the panasonic device drivers but they didn't seem to find anything.

can anybody help me out with getting this drive running under linux or at
least give me a clue as to how much this drive is worth so that I can turn
around and sell it in order to afford a real, SCSI CD-ROM drive?

- Jeff Wiegley

Anyboy have the Funai (Pan) CD-ROM drive working??

Post by David Hawor » Sat, 18 Feb 1995 23:39:04

Quote:

> I just received my newest computer from a company called "System Dynamic
> Group"  (also known as Dynasys) anyways I have everything working and linux
> running except for the CD-ROM drive.

> I have no idea what make or model the CD-ROM drive is or what kind of card
> it is hooked up to and the documentation for it, of course, sucks.

[snip]

> I tried the panasonic device drivers but they didn't seem to find anything.

Did you try the Mitsumi and/or the Sony CDu33 drivers?

==========
David Haworth
Tiger Communications plc

1. CD-ROM driver for Turtle Beach/Funai 6X CD-ROM?

----
        I am trying to install RedHat 3.0.3 on
a PC with a CD-ROM which their kernal does not,
thus far, recognize.

        The CD-ROM mechanism is a 6X, purchased
in summer '96 from a "Future Shop".

The driver disk which came with the CD-ROM is
labeled:
        Turtle Beach
        TBS 6001/6010 6x CDROM Kit v2.00F

and comes with drivers for DOS/Win/NT/OS/2.

        On the CD-ROM mechanism is printed:
NISSEI SANGYO America Ltd.
NSA CD-ROM drive unit model NSCD-6X
TUV Product Services

        It uses a seperate controller card,
but the kernal does not find (when autoprobing,
or by specifying kernal parameters)
mitsumi, panasonic, sony, soundblaster, aztcd,
or any listed in the RedHat 3.0.3 docs.
        The drive also did not respond to
attempts to treat is as IDE/ATAPI on
/dev/hdb, /dev/hdc or /dev/hdd.

        On the (ISA) controller card there are:
J5 IDE connector, a block of 2 jumpers, 4-pin audio in
4 ICs:
        (TI logo) 54D1VVK  SNL4LS245N
        (unknown logo) PAL16L8BCN  3254PAE  D
        (AG, double tilde-logo) SP9052  DM74ALS244AN
        (TI logo) 54D1X2K  SN74LS245N
FCC ID:  J8Y2183
and 2 RCA audio out (L,R) connectors on back

        The card's BIOS reports it uses
Port 0x170, IRQ 15

        MS-Win95 hardware detection calls the CD-ROM
a "FUNAI E 2650" firmware 1.1

        A recent version
http://www.caldera.com/LDP/HOWTO/CDROM-HOWTO-3.html
        of the CDROM-HOWTO didn't list any drivers
with names indicating support for "Turtle Beach"
or "Funai".  Also, I didn't find any reference
to new drivers which were recognizable as being
suitable for this card.

        Does anyone know what this beastie is,
and whether Linux drivers exist for it?

        Replies by email to

        would be appreciated (I will also check
this NG).

        TIA...and hoping a driver exists!

--

    Pagan, RPG designer, and user of Linux and Emacs

2. TLI versus sockets

3. Funai CD-ROM Drive

4. Can't open initial console on PBG31999

5. Can't install SCO using Funai CD-ROM drive

6. HELP -- converting DOS partition to solx86 -> 2 sol partitions?

7. 2x funai drive - cd rom driver req'd

8. signal, trap, possibly

9. CD Rom Driver for FUNAI Drive

10. Still having problems with NFS and my CD-ROM drive.

11. CD-ROM Drive/CD-ROM Bundle

12. Linux from Nascent CD-ROM won't mount my panasonic cd-rom drive

13. Funai cd-rom FCR-C2-P