Linux on 8088

Post by Hugh McCurd » Sun, 24 Dec 1995 04:00:00

>I would like to know where I can get a copy of the version of linux
for
>the intel 8088 chip, I have a old 8088 with 640k and 2 21 meg hard
drive
>and I want to set it up for dial in linux access so friends can use it
>ftp and use a news feed and some other stuff for it, Is this possible?

Unless I'm seriously mistaken, Linux won't run on anything less than a
386.  I know of no plans by anyone to attempt to get it to work on a
286 or 8086 or 8088, etc.

The 386 is a 32 bit chip.  The rest are 16 (or 8) bit chips.  It would
be very diffucult and time consuming for someone to do what you ask.
Thus, I don't think it is ever going to happen.

To run Linux you'll need a minimum of a 386.  You should have no less
than 4MB RAM, but 8MB is MUCH better.  A 486 is MUCH better than a 386
when it comes to running Linux.  (When I say 486, I mean a DX).

Linux on 8088

Post by Lars Englu » Sun, 24 Dec 1995 04:00:00

as I understand it, there is currently a project to port linux to 8088.
But as far as I know (very little, btw :P ) it isn't past alpha.

lars
ps. merry x-mas ;)

: >
[...]

Post by st.. » Tue, 26 Dec 1995 04:00:00

Quote:>Unless I'm seriously mistaken, Linux won't run on anything less than a
>386.  I know of no plans by anyone to attempt to get it to work on a
>286 or 8086 or 8088, etc.

You may be interested in the follwoing URL, which details some plans to
port Linux to a pre-386 chip:

http://www.linux.org.uk/Linux8086.html

As another person following up pointed out, this project is in pre-Aplha
stage right now.

OBTW, one neat thing you can do with your "ix.netcom.com" account is
configure things so that your Linux box is directly hooked up to the net.
This make internet applications work... things like the Linux netscape,
ncftp, tin (a UNIX newsreader), and so on.

--

Linux on 8088

Post by Jon » Thu, 28 Dec 1995 04:00:00

>I would like to know where I can get a copy of the version of linux for
>the intel 8088 chip, I have a old 8088 with 640k and 2 21 meg hard drive
>and I want to set it up for dial in linux access so friends can use it to
>ftp and use a news feed and some other stuff for it, Is this possible?

as far as i know you can't, linux requires a coprocessor and those only
show up in 386 or higher models

Linux on 8088

Post by Robert Woodco » Fri, 29 Dec 1995 04:00:00

Quote:>OBTW, one neat thing you can do with your "ix.netcom.com" account is
>configure things so that your Linux box is directly hooked up to the net.
>This make internet applications work... things like the Linux netscape,
>ncftp, tin (a UNIX newsreader), and so on.

You can do this with a shell account, too, using SLiRP, and you have
the added benefit of being able to telnet back in. It is a royal pain
to set up, though.
--

If I don't see you in the future, I'll see you in the pasture.

Linux on 8088

Post by Tomasz Zmudzi » Fri, 29 Dec 1995 04:00:00

> as far as i know you can't, linux requires a coprocessor and those only
> show up in 386 or higher models

This is NOT the reason for the >386 requirement. Coprocessors could be
installed on PC boards before the 386 era, and you can easily compile
floating point emulation into your kernel.

386-based PCs were the first machines on which you could handle multiple
processes and the respective memory management reasonably. This will
also be most likely the biggest obstacle to cope with for the developers
of Linux's 8086-port (yes, there is some work going on at it, check
http://www.linux.org for details).

Here I do ;).

Regards,

Internet Securities Inc.

Linux on 8088

Post by John Lell » Fri, 29 Dec 1995 04:00:00

: >I would like to know where I can get a copy of the version of linux for
: >the intel 8088 chip, I have a old 8088 with 640k and 2 21 meg hard drive
: >and I want to set it up for dial in linux access so friends can use it to
: >ftp and use a news feed and some other stuff for it, Is this possible?

: as far as i know you can't, linux requires a coprocessor and those only
: show up in 386 or higher models

O.K., you're wrong!  :-)

808x systems use an external 8087 coprocessor;  '286 systems use an external
80287 coprocessor;  '386 systems use an external 80387 coprocessor.  '486
systems may or may not use an external coprocessor (e.g., my TI 486DX40 uses
an external 80387 but my Intel 486DX50 has an internal coprocessor).

Linux will emulate a coprocessor if one is not present.

I believe that the limiting factor for running Linux on 808x systems is its
use of 386-style memory management, not the coprocessor (or lack thereof).

If you want to run *NIX on your old 808x system, try Minix.  It works fine.
Get it at ftp.cs.vu.nl from /pub/minix/1.7.1 and enjoy!

... Our continuing mission: To seek out knowledge of C, to explore
strange UNIX commands, and to boldly code where no one has man page 4.

Linux on 8088

Post by KEITH PEP » Fri, 29 Dec 1995 04:00:00

In a message dated 12/27/95  JON wrote to  ALL:

Quote:>I would like to know where I can get a copy of the version of linux for
>the intel 8088 chip, I have a old 8088 with 640k and 2 21 meg hard drive
>and I want to set it up for dial in linux access so friends can use it to
>ftp and use a news feed and some other stuff for it, Is this possible?

 J> as far as i know you can't, linux requires a coprocessor and those
 J> only show up in 386 or higher models

Uh, 8088 systems can have coprocessors: they're called 8087s. 80286 systems
use the 80287. 80386 has 80387. 486DX has it built in, 486SX takes a 487SX.
Pentium, built in. Linux runs in 32-bit protected mode, which only exists in
386 and up.

You were wrong, I quoted you. :-)

Ciao,
  KEITH
 -> Alice4Mac 2.4.2 E QWK Eval:17Dec95

Linux on 8088

Post by Arcadio A. Since » Sat, 30 Dec 1995 04:00:00

>You can do this with a shell account, too, using SLiRP, and you have
>the added benefit of being able to telnet back in. It is a royal pain
>to set up, though.

        I beg to differ.  All I had to do was untar the SLiRP package into
my shell account, type "configure", then "make" and voila!, instant SLiRP!
Unless you're using some weird UNIX variant as your shell ...

Arcadio Alivio Sincero, Jr.
Sophmore, Computer Science Major at the University of Maryland at College Park

www:   <not available yet>

"Save the whales .... collect the whole set!"

Linux on 8088

Post by Douglas R. Flo » Sat, 30 Dec 1995 04:00:00

>>OBTW, one neat thing you can do with your "ix.netcom.com" account is
>>configure things so that your Linux box is directly hooked up to the net.
>>This make internet applications work... things like the Linux netscape,
>>ncftp, tin (a UNIX newsreader), and so on.

>You can do this with a shell account, too, using SLiRP, and you have
>the added benefit of being able to telnet back in. It is a royal pain
>to set up, though.
>--

>If I don't see you in the future, I'll see you in the pasture.

Another option to consider is term.  Term can do a lot... If desperate,
it can even serve as a firewall.  Plus, it is free.

Term is great for working over links that drop certain characters like
some terminal servers tend to do.

I am blessed with the ability to use SLIP/PPP, so I use that, but if I
needed to, I would use term.

--

Disclaimer:  What, me speak for my employer(s)?  Yeah, right.
Linux|AIX|IRIX spoken here.

Linux on 8088

Post by Chad Small » Sun, 31 Dec 1995 04:00:00

Quote:

>I would like to know where I can get a copy of the version of linux for
>the intel 8088 chip, I have a old 8088 with 640k and 2 21 meg hard drive
>and I want to set it up for dial in linux access so friends can use it to
>ftp and use a news feed and some other stuff for it, Is this possible?

Sorry...Linux is a 32-bit operating system and thus relies on the 32-bit
instruction set (386 chip being the minimum).  If your looking for a cheap
linux machine, get an old 386 with 2-4 megs.  I bought one for $60 here and
linux runs OK.

Linux on 8088

Post by Chad Small » Sun, 31 Dec 1995 04:00:00

>as far as i know you can't, linux requires a coprocessor and those only
>show up in 386 or higher models

Actually, Linux requires the 32-bit instruction set.  Has nothing to do with a
cooprocessor. If it did, how would you explain running without a hitch on 486sx
machines?

Linux on 8088

Post by Arthur D. Jeriji » Sun, 31 Dec 1995 04:00:00

> >I would like to know where I can get a copy of the version of linux for
> >the intel 8088 chip, I have a old 8088 with 640k and 2 21 meg hard drive
> >and I want to set it up for dial in linux access so friends can use it to
> >ftp and use a news feed and some other stuff for it, Is this possible?

> Sorry...Linux is a 32-bit operating system and thus relies on the 32-bit
> instruction set (386 chip being the minimum).  If your looking for a cheap
> linux machine, get an old 386 with 2-4 megs.  I bought one for $60 here and
> linux runs OK.

        Isn't there an Embeddable Linux Kernel Subset project, which is a
port of Linux to the 8088?  I think the web page is somewhere at
http://www.linux.org.uk.

..........----------==========**********==========----------..........
                        Arthur Dikran Jerijian
         UCLA Undergraduate, Computer Science and Engineering
          World Wide Web: http://www.seas.ucla.edu/~jerijian
        Snail-Mail: PO Box 5103 / Sherman Oaks, CA 91413-5103
..........----------==========**********==========----------..........

Linux on 8088

Post by Massimiliano Liccar » Mon, 08 Jan 1996 04:00:00

>>I would like to know where I can get a copy of the version of linux for
>>the intel 8088 chip, I have a old 8088 with 640k and 2 21 meg hard drive
>>and I want to set it up for dial in linux access so friends can use it to
>>ftp and use a news feed and some other stuff for it, Is this possible?
>as far as i know you can't, linux requires a coprocessor and those only
>show up in 386 or higher models

Try MINIX, it runs for 8088 !!

                         "..Fatti non foste a viver come bruti,
                          ma per seguir virtute e cAnoscenza.."

Linux on 8088

Post by David Tayl » Fri, 12 Jan 1996 04:00:00

>>>I would like to know where I can get a copy of the version of linux for
>>>the intel 8088 chip, I have a old 8088 with 640k and 2 21 meg hard drive
>>>and I want to set it up for dial in linux access so friends can use it to
>>>ftp and use a news feed and some other stuff for it, Is this possible?

>Try MINIX, it runs for 8088 !!

MINIX is available by ftp from ftp.cs.vu.nl in /pub/minix.