compiling dilemma(gcc 2.7.x) /sig 11

Post by Sushant Garg » Wed, 21 Aug 1996 04:00:00

Hey Guys,
After lot of digging-in, using faq/urls I've come to this conclusion
that the reason that I am not able to compile kernel is that the
gcc version that I have 2.7.0 has "un-notified" bugs in it. Everytime
I try to compile the kernel it exits w/ "internal compiler error/sig 11".
Upon some of the 'netters recommendations I tried to rule out the possiblity
of having bad hardware (memory,cache..etc.) I still have the problem...
I even visited some homepages that were dedicated to the "Signal 11"....
Tried everything, but nothing helped....Now what I want to do is to
upgrade from a gcc 2.7.0 to 2.7.2, but he question is HOW.
I can't compile compiler...and, I think the only thing that's available on
the net are the sources......So can anyone suggest how to I upgrade to
gcc 2.7.2 or possibly 2.7.2.1
-Thanks
--

Thanks
Sushant Garyga

Post by mumfo » Wed, 21 Aug 1996 04:00:00

>Hey Guys,
>After lot of digging-in, using faq/urls I've come to this conclusion
>that the reason that I am not able to compile kernel is that the
>gcc version that I have 2.7.0 has "un-notified" bugs in it. Everytime
>I try to compile the kernel it exits w/ "internal compiler error/sig 11".
>Upon some of the 'netters recommendations I tried to rule out the possiblity
>of having bad hardware (memory,cache..etc.) I still have the problem...
>I even visited some homepages that were dedicated to the "Signal 11"....
>Tried everything, but nothing helped....Now what I want to do is to
>upgrade from a gcc 2.7.0 to 2.7.2, but he question is HOW.
>I can't compile compiler...and, I think the only thing that's available on
>the net are the sources......So can anyone suggest how to I upgrade to
>gcc 2.7.2 or possibly 2.7.2.1
>-Thanks
>--

You can get a precompiled 2.7.2 binary at ftp://sunsite.unc.edu/pub/Linux/GCC.
Btw, I had the same problem.. sig11's all the time.. turns out the fan on
top of my cpu wasn't plugged in (came that was from the distributor).

--

PGPprint = E3 0F DE CC 94 72 D1 1A  2D 2E A9 08 6B A0 CD 82
Why did the mathematician name his dog Cauchy?

Post by Frank Sweetse » Thu, 29 Aug 1996 04:00:00

> Hey Guys,
> After lot of digging-in, using faq/urls I've come to this conclusion
> that the reason that I am not able to compile kernel is that the
> gcc version that I have 2.7.0 has "un-notified" bugs in it. Everytime
> I try to compile the kernel it exits w/ "internal compiler error/sig 11".
> Upon some of the 'netters recommendations I tried to rule out the possiblity
> of having bad hardware (memory,cache..etc.) I still have the problem...
> I even visited some homepages that were dedicated to the "Signal 11"....
> Tried everything, but nothing helped....Now what I want to do is to
> upgrade from a gcc 2.7.0 to 2.7.2, but he question is HOW.
> I can't compile compiler...and, I think the only thing that's available on
> the net are the sources......So can anyone suggest how to I upgrade to
> gcc 2.7.2 or possibly 2.7.2.1
> -Thanks
> --

> Thanks
> Sushant Garyga

        Actually, you're in luck!  GCC, and all of the libs that go  with it,
are distributed in g-ziped tar archives.  Just unzip 'em, usually from the
root dir, and you're all set to go.
        And as for eliminating the hardware possability, how thorough
were you?  Sometimes, they can be the strangest little things, so it's
always safe to assume nothing.