Problems with a USB keyboard and a PS2 mouse chained to the keyboard

Problems with a USB keyboard and a PS2 mouse chained to the keyboard

Post by Mark Kyprian » Fri, 31 Aug 2001 01:17:06

I cannot get my my PS2 Mouse that is chained to my USB keyboard to
work.  The keyboard works fine, but no mouse movement.  Hitting mouse
buttons generates keyboard.c errors, so the I/O is getting thru.

I'm running RedHat Linux 7.1, kernel 2.4.3-12.

I've tried running mouseconfig and set the mouse to be a type of USB.
When this happens, I get XFree errors when I try to start the
X-server.

I get no mouse in console mode either.

How does one configure a chained mouse with a USB keyboard in Linux?

Problems with a USB keyboard and a PS2 mouse chained to the keyboard

Post by Michael Lee Yoh » Fri, 31 Aug 2001 04:28:29

Quote:> I cannot get my my PS2 Mouse that is chained to my USB keyboard to

You have a PS/2 mouse that's piggy-backed to your keyboard (which is
USB)?  IF this is the case, then that's the problem.

Quote:> How does one configure a chained mouse with a USB keyboard in Linux?

The mouse must be of type USB - this is due to the nature of the way USB
works.  A USB device is simply a node on the bus.  If one of the devices
you are using has PS/2 support capability (like your keyboard), then a
driver must be engineered to make use of the specific capability of your
keyboard since the HID (human interface driver) does not support PS/2
functionality across a USB bridge.

--

Software Developer, Engineering Services
Red Hat, Inc.

QUIPd 0.12:
-> Politics have no relation to morals.
-> - Niccolo Machiavelli (1469-1527)

Post by Mark Kyprian » Fri, 31 Aug 2001 21:51:00

Quote:> > I cannot get my my PS2 Mouse that is chained to my USB keyboard to

> You have a PS/2 mouse that's piggy-backed to your keyboard (which is
> USB)?  IF this is the case, then that's the problem.

> > How does one configure a chained mouse with a USB keyboard in Linux?

> The mouse must be of type USB - this is due to the nature of the way USB
> works.  A USB device is simply a node on the bus.  If one of the devices
> you are using has PS/2 support capability (like your keyboard), then a
> driver must be engineered to make use of the specific capability of your
> keyboard since the HID (human interface driver) does not support PS/2
> functionality across a USB bridge.

I've never seen a keyboard that supports a mouse connect of type USB.
I've only seen keyboards that have a PS2 mouse connection.  I assumed
that the keyboard converted the PS2 into a USB type interface. Since
that is the only interface that the keyboard has.

So all of the USB keyboards with a PS2 connection will not work in
Linux?  They work fine on Windows...

Post by fishb.. » Sat, 01 Sep 2001 06:03:31

>I've never seen a keyboard that supports a mouse connect of type USB.

In lieu of buying a USB KVM switch, I now just switch the VGA cable
and the one USB cable for my keyboard and mouse.  My keyboard is a
Microsoft Natural Pro, and my mouse is a Logitech cordless trackball
USB.  It's a bit less convenient than a KVM switch was, but I don't
have the degradation problem, and I was having some odd, rare but annoying
OS stability problems switching a PS2 mouse and keyboard with a KVM switch.

Quote:>I've only seen keyboards that have a PS2 mouse connection.

I was not aware until now that there was a USB keyboard with a PS2 mouse connection.
I'm looking into it.
--

Problems with a USB keyboard and a PS2 mouse chained to the keyboard

Post by Michael Lee Yoh » Sat, 01 Sep 2001 06:09:55

Quote:> I've never seen a keyboard that supports a mouse connect of type USB.
> I've only seen keyboards that have a PS2 mouse connection.  I assumed
> that the keyboard converted the PS2 into a USB type interface. Since
> that is the only interface that the keyboard has.

Microsoft, Mitsumi, Apple, Logitech are quite a few manufacturers of
keyboards that have USB connections (a built-in hub) on the USB keyboard
assembly.

Quote:> So all of the USB keyboards with a PS2 connection will not work in
> Linux?  They work fine on Windows...

I am saying that without a proper driver for Linux, the PS/2 connection
will not work.  Provided there is an appropriate driver (which a
manufacturer tends to make one for Windows), I'd say sure - it would work.

--

Software Developer, Engineering Services
Red Hat, Inc.

QUIPd 0.12:
-> The real question for 1988 is whether we're going to go forward
-> to tomorrow or past to the - to the back!
-> - Dan Quayle

Post by Mark Kyprian » Sun, 02 Sep 2001 03:44:52

Quote:> > I've never seen a keyboard that supports a mouse connect of type USB.
> > I've only seen keyboards that have a PS2 mouse connection.  I assumed
> > that the keyboard converted the PS2 into a USB type interface. Since
> > that is the only interface that the keyboard has.

> Microsoft, Mitsumi, Apple, Logitech are quite a few manufacturers of
> keyboards that have USB connections (a built-in hub) on the USB keyboard
> assembly.

> > So all of the USB keyboards with a PS2 connection will not work in
> > Linux?  They work fine on Windows...

> I am saying that without a proper driver for Linux, the PS/2 connection
> will not work.  Provided there is an appropriate driver (which a
> manufacturer tends to make one for Windows), I'd say sure - it would work.

Then I guess that is my question.  DOES Linux support a USB Keyboard
with a PS2 mouse plugged into it?

I see that you work for Red Hat and I'm using a Red Hat installation.
I checked the Red Hat Hardware compatiability list and it did not make
any reference to these types of chained keyboard/mice. An inclusion of
these devices would be nice.

I'm just trying to find out if Linux supports this hardware
configuration and if so how do I configure the system to use it.
Thanx for your help.

Post by Mark Kyprian » Sun, 02 Sep 2001 05:13:35

Quote:> > I've never seen a keyboard that supports a mouse connect of type USB.
> > I've only seen keyboards that have a PS2 mouse connection.  I assumed
> > that the keyboard converted the PS2 into a USB type interface. Since
> > that is the only interface that the keyboard has.

> Microsoft, Mitsumi, Apple, Logitech are quite a few manufacturers of
> keyboards that have USB connections (a built-in hub) on the USB keyboard
> assembly.

I found out a little more about the keyboard...  I'm using a BTC
Conventional Keyboard 7932M.  It converts the PS2 mouse to USB HID
endpoint. So the mouse packets come across as USB formatted  message
blocks.