ZIP/PARALLEL and INSTALL

Post by Juergen Erhar » Fri, 15 Nov 1996 04:00:00

Yep has been asked before. Yep, I looked in dejanews (check it out
at www.dejanews.com. GREAT! Like, find out your own posting profile
:-)

BUT: my question hasn't been answered yet (or not that I am
aware of):

I'd like to put, say, slackware on 1 ZIP disk, boot and root (???)
from normal 3.5" disks and the, instead of installing from an MS-DOS
parztition (like, C:\slackware), do it from th ZIP.

Is this possible?

Okay, I can put the stuff on a ZIP and the on DOS and then... but
I'd like to go the direct route (I don't want the extra copy stage,
and I might not have a lot of space on my MS-DOS part...)

Okay, thanks for any replies (and please mail 'em ALSO, because
I am not reading this group regularly AS OF YET... as soon as my
system is up, I will.)

--
Juergen A. Erhard (that ue is actually \"u (TeX) or ü (HTML/SGML))

snailMail: Belfortstr. 6; 76133 Karlsruhe; GERMANY
phone: (+49) (0)721/27326 (private, seldom home though)

ZIP/PARALLEL and INSTALL

Post by Evan Jeffr » Sat, 16 Nov 1996 04:00:00

: Yep has been asked before. Yep, I looked in dejanews (check it out
: at www.dejanews.com. GREAT! Like, find out your own posting profile
: :-)
:
: BUT: my question hasn't been answered yet (or not that I am
: aware of):
:
: I'd like to put, say, slackware on 1 ZIP disk, boot and root (???)
: from normal 3.5" disks and the, instead of installing from an MS-DOS
: parztition (like, C:\slackware), do it from th ZIP.

Where are you installing to?  I doubt you can put the source on the ZIP and
still have enough room for an installation.  However, if you have a free
partition on your HD, you can put the slackware sources (or as much as will
fit--make sure you get what you need) onto the ZIP drive.  The boot disk
"iomega.i" supports the parallel port ZIP drive...

Though the best method is a CD, unless you have a fast net connection and
can do NFS (I had the chance to do an NFS installation about a week ago.
COOL!!!)

If I wasn't clear, feel free to email me about it.

Evan Jeffrey

ZIP/PARALLEL and INSTALL

Post by Adam Morr » Wed, 20 Nov 1996 04:00:00

Quote:>I'd like to put, say, slackware on 1 ZIP disk, boot and root (???)
>from normal 3.5" disks and the, instead of installing from an MS-DOS
>parztition (like, C:\slackware), do it from th ZIP.

>Is this possible?

yes, but the kernel on the boot disk has to have support for the ppa driver
built in ...  Depends which distribution you are planning on using whether
there is one available, but you can probably make one...

just before slackware 3.1 came out, a slackware 3.0 boot disk was put on
www.torque.net
have a look around there for further information... if the worst comes to the
worst you could probably use that disk image with whatever you want...

Adam

1. parallel zip drive + additional parallel card

Hi all,

I need more storage spaces on my computer. After all things considered,
I am about to purchase a parallel version zip drive. Also considering to
get myself an additional parallel card, since I've heard that it is
impossible to use parallel zip and printer simultaneously.

The problem is I don't know how to do it, where to start.... in one word
I have no idear how I can get these things done. Of course, I have
already read the zip mini howto but I could not understand it very well
due to my limited knowledge. Oh, I am using Red Hat Linux 5.1.

Please help me. Thanks in advance.

2. SCSI: aborting command due to timeout....?

3. Iomega ZIP parallel zip drive under red hat linux 6.0 problem solved

4. log of failed logins

5. RH5.0 Installing a parallel zip drive

6. Winnt vs. Linux : Dual boot and installation

7. Please help: RedHat6.0 Iomega 250 Parallel Zip install and config

8. Apache: F_SETLKW error

9. Newbie : How to install/configure a parallel port ZIP drive?

10. RH 5.0 Install fm parallel Zip Disks

11. Install Linux from floppies or parallel ZIP drive?

12. zip install (parallel port)

13. problems installing Zip drive (parallel port)