problems with samba and routing under mandrake 7.2

problems with samba and routing under mandrake 7.2

Post by martina von radziminsk » Wed, 04 Sep 2002 23:06:23

good day,

i'm a mandrake newbie and have some problems:

1. in different to suse mandrake hasn't a route.conf in etc. i have the
full functionality with the whole net (2 win clients). no probelms with
ping, ifconfig and the win-pc's appears in the explorer from mandrake
but i can't get any connections for the internet with isdn with the
win-clients. where i have to fill in my gateway, if there isn't any
route.conf in mandrake?

2. my samba connection for my printer stands. but if i want to contact
my netprinter under the clients of windows, i'm asked for a password. in
which file in linux or windows can i find the password i need to
establish the samba-connection. which password is meant?

thank you very much for each help.
martina von radziminski

Post by k.. » Thu, 05 Sep 2002 01:39:18

> good day,

> i'm a mandrake newbie and have some problems:

> 1. in different to suse mandrake hasn't a route.conf in etc. i have the
> full functionality with the whole net (2 win clients). no probelms with
> ping, ifconfig and the win-pc's appears in the explorer from mandrake
> but i can't get any connections for the internet with isdn with the
> win-clients. where i have to fill in my gateway, if there isn't any
> route.conf in mandrake?

Look in /etc/sysconfig/network for the GATEWAY line.

Quote:

> 2. my samba connection for my printer stands. but if i want to contact
> my netprinter under the clients of windows, i'm asked for a password. in
> which file in linux or windows can i find the password i need to
> establish the samba-connection. which password is meant?

On the Mandrake box you'll probably need to do an 'smbadduser' to create
the user/password. E.g.:
   smbadduser unixname:windowsname

where unixname is the name of the account on the Mandrake box and
windowsname is the SMB account you're creating.

1. samba, mandrake 7.2 and cups, or, samba follies

Hi all.  I've got samba up and running on a mandrake 7.2 box.  Details:

networking setup is peer-to-peer

workstation:  Mandrake 7.2, cups 1.1.7, samba 2.0.9

remote:  laptop running windowsMe 8-<

Printer:  HP dj820Cse winprinter
Printer works fine, well, acceptably well in linux via cups, using
foomatic+pnm2ppa drivers, using the lp printer que setup in printdrake

Printing from the remote using the windows printer drivers

Samba runs on boot

When browsing for printers from the remote via network places I can see
only a printer called "printers".  I cannot print to this printer.

However, when I restart samba, what do I see?  I can "see" printer "lp"
in the network places, in addition to "printers".  If I point the laptop
to that printer (\\workstation\lp) instead of "printers"
(\\workstation\printers)  I can now print to my hearts delight.

BUT this printer "goes away" when I reboot.  The only way to get it back
is to execute "samba restart".

Here is the printer section from /etc/smb.conf:

# NOTE: If you have a CUPS print system there is no need to
# specifically define each individual printer.
# You must configure the samba printers as "Generic PostScript Printer"
# on your Windows clients.
# If you wish to configure the printers directly on the Windows clients
# (i.e. use the windows drivers on the clients) you must swap the
# 'print command' line below with the commented one.
[printers]
   comment = All Printers
   path = /var/spool/samba
   browseable = yes
# to allow user 'guest account' to print.
   guest ok = yes
   writable = no
   printable = yes
   create mode = 0700
# =====================================
# print command: see above for details.
# =====================================
   print command = lpr-cups -P %p -o raw %s # using client side printer
drivers.;   print command = lpr-cups -P %p %s # using cups own drivers
(use generic PostScript on clients).
   lpq command = lpstat -o %p
   lprm command = cancel %p-%j

(yes the cups driver line is commented out)

let me know what you think.

--karl

2. root rsh permission denied - solution

3. Problem with samba printer in Mandrake 7.2

4. strange problem

5. Settin up Samba on Mandrake 7.2

6. Matrox G400 Video Adapter

7. Mandrake 7.2, CUPS and Samba

8. Bug in ps

9. Samba Install Difficulties w/Mandrake 7.2

10. Mandrake 7.2 & Samba

11. Mandrake 7.1 vs Mandrake 7.2 ?

12. Problem with Mandrake 7.2 and Sound [lack thereof]