smail on linux -- deferred delivery to ISP

Post by Brian McCaule » Sat, 20 Sep 1997 04:00:00

> I've got a problem which I can't seem to solve. I'm running Debian 1.3.1
> (kernel 2.0.29) and with smail as a MTA, on an Intel box at home. I would like
> to handle my mail thusly:

> 1 connect via PPP to my ISP (actually my school)
> 2 run fetchmail to get the mail from the POP server
> 3 disconnect
> 4 read mail in VM
> 5 reply offline and get smail to spool the outgoing mail
> 6 connect and deliver outgoing.

> However, I can't get 5 and 6 to work. I've tried using SMTP and queued
> delivery in smail.conf, I've used a smart_host, I've tried UUCP, I've read the
> docs, I've searched DejaNews... all my outgoing mail gets bounced right back.

There's a simple kludge (not my invention - I read it here).

Configure smail as though you have a direct IP connection but with a
long timeout on SMTP retries.

In ip-up:

rm /var/spool/smail/retry/smtp/*
runq

If this is already what you are doing could you be a bit more precise
about the exact errors when "all my outgoing mail gets bounced right back."

smail on linux -- deferred delivery to ISP

Post by Friedhelm Mehne » Sun, 21 Sep 1997 04:00:00

:
: In ip-up:
:
: rm /var/spool/smail/retry/smtp/*
: runq
:
THANK YOU SO MUCH!

This solves a problem with "stuck" messages, I've been wrestling with
for years.
Why in the world didn't I think about this?

Again, THANKS A LOT!

Regards,
Friedhelm

--
Microsoft is NOT the answer. Microsoft is the Question.
The answer is: "NO!"

Post by Scott Willse » Sun, 28 Sep 1997 04:00:00

> I've just spent the last few days trying to get sendmail working, and
> ended up trying smail instead. I now have a working setup, and do
> exactly what you want to do.

> The key is in the /etc/smail/config and /etc/smail/routers files. These
> may be somewhere else on Debian, I use RedHat.

> I have attached these two files for my system. My IP's domain is
> netcomuk.co.uk, just substitute yor IP's domain instead.

I'm curious about the problems you had with sendmail. My Red Hat 4.2
installation set it up for me to the point of working fine with minimal
effort by me.  I was able to find a script for fetchmail on the web that
would be run as a cron job, and would get my mail of CalWeb's pop3
server, and would also run sendmail to deliver any outgoing mail.  It
works fine just by calling "sendmail -q".  The one thing I did have to
do to get mail delivered into the correct spool and not get dumped to
root's mail spool was to use procmail to deliver it.  Since I'm not at
my linux machine, I can't remember all the details without looking, but
it involved simply making a .procmailrc in my root and other accounts,
and it was also installed already and worked with little effort on my
part.

Scott

--
=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=
Intel would never let me speak for

1. Smail and all smtp delivery through gateway

Hello, all.  I have the Yggsadril Linus, Fall '94.  I know how to do the
following under sendmail (I'm an old Sun d00d).  I could install sendmail,
but it sounds like a pain and besides, smail looks very nice.  So:

We have a firewall with an smtp gateway.  I don't care about UUCP.  How
can I make any mail for a foreign host be routed through the mail
gateway with SMAIL?  Can someone show me a sample config?  I read all the
docs and the Linux community seems to be heavily into UUCP and SLIP, etc.
which doesn't help me.

Again, I can do it with sendmail, but I'll give smail a shot.

Thank you in advance!
---------
T. Pascal, King of Pascal    |  "A bird in         |  Can you find five
4527 Avocado St.             |   in the hand is    |  errors in this .sig?
Los Angeles, CA 90027        |   is worth two in   |  Hint:  the addresses
                             |   in the boosh."    |  is correct.

2. Update Kernel, Xfree86,Glut,for Nvidia

3. smail 3.1.29.1 delivery problems

4. linux connecting two pcs that cant see each other

5. e-mail delivery not working (smail)

6. GPIB Driver

7. Local delivery with smail??

8. XFT, GTK on Solaris 9

9. broken mail delivery smail

10. Local delivery under smail?

11. Problems with pine/smail delivery

12. SMAIL local delivery

13. How can I check mail delivery is success when using other mail server inside ISP?