Good Linux Admin Guide?

Post by tari.. » Sat, 24 Jun 1995 04:00:00

I'm looking for a good, complete, Linux administration manual WITHOUT a CD.
I was thinking of the Linux Bible, but having recently read a description of
it, it sound like it's really basic.  Is there some sort of a consensus on a
good general purpose, intermediate to advanced book on the subject?

Trent

Good Linux Admin Guide?

Post by Daniel J. Bodo » Sun, 25 Jun 1995 04:00:00

Trent,

There are a couple of good books available:

Commercially, I suggest the "Running Linux" book by O'Reilly and Associates.
Cost is near $25.00

Also, check out the Linux Documentation project that Matt is organizing at
able in PostScript form.  Some books are _Linux Installation Guide_, _Kernel
Hackers Guide_, _Linux Systems Administration_, and a few others.

Hope this helps,

Dan

>I'm looking for a good, complete, Linux administration manual WITHOUT a CD.
>I was thinking of the Linux Bible, but having recently read a description of
>it, it sound like it's really basic.  Is there some sort of a consensus on a
>good general purpose, intermediate to advanced book on the subject?

>Trent

Good Linux Admin Guide?

Post by Ivan Samuels » Tue, 27 Jun 1995 04:00:00

: I'm looking for a good, complete, Linux administration manual WITHOUT a CD.
: I was thinking of the Linux Bible, but having recently read a description of
: it, it sound like it's really basic.  Is there some sort of a consensus on a
: good general purpose, intermediate to advanced book on the subject?

Just about any general UNIX book will do. You don't necessarily have to buy
a sys. admin. book for Linux. Check out the O'Reilly book, Essential
System Administration (has an armadillo on the front). This will be my
next book to get (I heard of it from a co-worker who is also a Linux
freak like me).

Of course, you could look in sunsite in the /pub/Linux/docs/linux-
documentation-project directory. There are PLENTY of good ps/dvi/ascii
files which go into extensive coverage over Linux.

Matt Welsh, who maintains the LDP and also moderates comp.os.linux.announce)
has a book publish by O'Reilly called Running Linux. A lot of it comes
from his Linux Installation Guide which you can get from sunsite (it's one
of the LPD files). But, he goes into other things, such as networking and
programming Linux. I suggest this book, too.

Ivan Samuelson, Consultant   *   No matter where you go, there you are!

http://indy.net/~profound    *   http://chaos.taylored.com/home/bolski/

1. Question about Linux Bible and Linux Network Admin Guide

Is the _Linux Network Admin Guide_ included as part of the book _The
Linux Bible_?

Thanks, Michael

--
                   |I've seen things you people wouldn't believe. Attack ships
Michael L. Kaufman |on fire off the shoulder of Orion. I watched C-beams glitter

                   |be lost in time - like tears in rain. Time to die. Roy Batty

2. ipchains

3. Project : Linux Internet Server Admin Guide

4. cd burning

5. Help: Linux System Admin. Guide (where?)

6. Best CD-ROM Distribution?

7. Linux Sys. Admin's Survival Guide

8. Unix Internals Basics

9. Linux serv admin guide -> also for FreeBSD ?

10. Whereis the Linux Sys admin guide

11. Looking for a good Linux guide.

12. Good Linux book for a Solaris Admin?

13. Lookng for good linux ADMIN