libraries libraries libraries

Post by Chad Cunningha » Mon, 08 Jun 1998 04:00:00

Okay, since I can't get Word Perfect to install, I am currently
downloading all 51 megs of star office. Unfortunately, I am running
redhat 5.0, so I need libc 5.4.22 or higher. Can I get this somewhere
and install it, or am I screwed? Please tell me I'm not spending 6 hours
dowloading for nothing...

--
Chad Cunningham
http://socrates.mps.ohio-state.edu/~ccunning

Post by Morga » Mon, 08 Jun 1998 04:00:00

> Okay, since I can't get Word Perfect to install, I am currently
> downloading all 51 megs of star office. Unfortunately, I am running
> redhat 5.0, so I need libc 5.4.22 or higher. Can I get this somewhere
> and install it, or am I screwed? Please tell me I'm not spending 6 hours
> dowloading for nothing...

A binary distribution of libc-5.4.44 can be had at
sunsite.unc.edu/pub/Linux/devel/GCC/
Quote:

Post by Mr. Anti Spa » Mon, 08 Jun 1998 04:00:00

> Okay, since I can't get Word Perfect to install, I am currently
> downloading all 51 megs of star office. Unfortunately, I am running
> redhat 5.0, so I need libc 5.4.22 or higher. Can I get this somewhere
> and install it, or am I screwed? Please tell me I'm not spending 6 hours
> dowloading for nothing...

DO NOT install any libc5 binaries, they make
assumption and break things on RH5.

Get the proper RPM from redhat for RH5 and install
that or pull libc.so.5.4.44 and libm.so.5.0.9 and
put them somewhere with links to libc.so.5 and
libm.so.5.

The glibc howto says this should be
/usr/i486-linux-libc5

add that dir to ld.so.conf and rerun ldconfig

Quote:> Chad Cunningham
> http://socrates.mps.ohio-state.edu/~ccunning

1. Compiling static libraries as shared libraries

Howdy! I've got myself ~50 megs of sources for about 10 meg of libraries I've
been working with. Right now, they all compile nicely and give me some nice
libwhatever.a files. OK, that's swell, but I can't statically link a good
portion of my programs (Damn ELF won't compile them statically :), so I need to
compile them as libwhatever.so. So, how do I change my source for this. Right
now I'm doing this.

ls -r -o libwhatever.a object1.o object2.o object3.o object4.o

Any help is appreciated.

--
Justin (Gus) Hurwitz

2. Confirm no way to write code to validate Unix password?

3. Building shared library which includes static libraries

4. seperate fields when no tabs exist....

5. KDE 1.1.2: Wrong JPEG library version: library is 62, caller expects 61

6. knowing when a file is busy?

7. Can a static library be compiled into a shared library?

8. 3c509b-combo card

9. Migrating DB-Library into Client-Library in UNIX

10. library compatibility between c and c++ in ncurses cdk library

11. CURSES library vs. TAM library

12. Q:NNTP library, clientlib (3)- NNTP clientlib part of InterNetNews library

13. linking static library against another library