fetchmail: 'no route to host'. Why ?

Post by Mihaly Gyula » Tue, 14 Dec 1999 04:00:00

I still receive this error message, although I use the same
files that worked in RedHat (now in Debian - not):

~/.fetchmailrc
/etc/resolv.conf
/etc/hosts

Can I have a better diagnosing tool, than the fetchmail's
'-v' option ?  (which gives only the above message...)

I can include the files, if the list-readers don't mind
(for better understanding...).

I use PPP for net-connection, which works, I receive my
IP-number from the ISP.

Any ideas what to test or modify ?

I'm open to anything that brings light to darkness...
--
Mihaly Gyulai

http://www.freeyellow.com/members5/gyulai/

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
Before you buy.

Post by Anthony Campbe » Tue, 14 Dec 1999 04:00:00

>I still receive this error message, although I use the same
>files that worked in RedHat (now in Debian - not):

>~/.fetchmailrc
>/etc/resolv.conf
>/etc/hosts

>Can I have a better diagnosing tool, than the fetchmail's
>'-v' option ?  (which gives only the above message...)

>I can include the files, if the list-readers don't mind
>(for better understanding...).

>I use PPP for net-connection, which works, I receive my
>IP-number from the ISP.

>Any ideas what to test or modify ?

>I'm open to anything that brings light to darkness...

If you're using Debian, there is a utility called /usr/bin/fetchmail
that sets up .fetchmail for you.

If this doesn't work it suggests that you aren't connecting to the
mailserver at your ISP properly.

Anthony

--
Anthony Campbell - running Linux Debian 2.1 (Windows-free zone)
Book Reviews: http://www.pentelikon.freeserve.co.uk/bookreviews/

"It's no go the Yogi Man, it's no go Blavatsky"  - Louis MacNeice

fetchmail: 'no route to host'. Why ?

Post by Anthony Campbe » Tue, 14 Dec 1999 04:00:00

Quote:

>If you're using Debian, there is a utility called /usr/bin/fetchmail
>that sets up .fetchmail for you.

Sorry for silly typo; that should have been /usr/bin/fetchmailconf

Anthony

--

Post by Mihaly Gyula » Wed, 15 Dec 1999 04:00:00

> >If you're using Debian, there is a utility called ...
> /usr/bin/fetchmailconf

I do not have it... :(

(I have Debian 2.1) Maybe I didn't select it for installing... (?)

--

Post by Anthony Campbe » Wed, 15 Dec 1999 04:00:00

>> >If you're using Debian, there is a utility called ...
>> /usr/bin/fetchmailconf

>I do not have it... :(

>(I have Debian 2.1) Maybe I didn't select it for installing... (?)

>--

I'm using Debian 2.1 (Slink) as well. (I don't think I upgraded
fetchmail to the Potato version though it's possible I did).
Fetchmailconf was installed automatically by the .deb package; perhaps
you should try reinstalling it?

Anthony

--

Post by Mihaly Gyula » Thu, 16 Dec 1999 04:00:00

> I'm using Debian 2.1 (Slink) as well.
> Fetchmailconf was installed automatically by the .deb package;

The problem is solved now! (it wasn't related to fetchmail...)

The problem was that I put into my /etc/hosts file the name and
IP address of the mailserver, but the ISP changed the IP number!!

So, when fetchmail tried to connect to the mailserver, it
did not find it (by the wrong IP number...).

After removing the mailserver IP address, it worked!

My conclusion is:

Do not add the IP number of your ISP's mailserver to /etc/hosts...

Thanks for your help!

--

Post by Erhard Sieg » Sun, 19 Dec 1999 04:00:00

> I still receive this error message, although I use the same
> files that worked in RedHat (now in Debian - not):

"No route to host" is usually a sign that your routing-tables are not
set up correctly. It shoulnd't have to to anything with fetchmail.
It's only a little strange that you get this error and not something
like "unknown host", but that can come from your setup.

First you should try whether you can ping the server, that you
specified in ~/.fetchmailrc.
I would guess that it doesn't work.
My guess is, that you don't set up the default route (gateway)
correctly after you recieve your IP-adress from the provider.
If i'm right, you have to modify /etc/ppp/ip-up

Tools you can use to find out are:
ping
route -e (route -ne) (as root)
ifconfig             (as root)
traceroute           (doesn't work on all systems)

Quote:> I use PPP for net-connection, which works, I receive my
> IP-number from the ISP.
> Any ideas what to test or modify ?
> I'm open to anything that brings light to darkness...

Hope it helps,

Erhard

--
"Doubt is not a pleasant mental state, but certainty is a ridiculous one."
                                                                -Voltaire

1. Why ``ftp: connect: no route to host'' message?????

I get an ftp connect message ``no route to host'', yet I know the
ftp is working fine and the route is there.  Anyone know why?

The ftp session will not work when that comes up, yet ping works fine,
and ftp to the local network boxes works fine.  AND, all my other boxes
ftp fine all over the place from the same local network, so the network
is fine.

This is version 2.2.2 FreeBSD.

I also get a strange route to 224.0.0.2 (ALL-ROUTERS.MCAST.NET) when
the machine boots, as an addenda route after my normal route.
Anyone know why?  Either my machine has been had or something in the
rc files needs twiddling, but I don't see anything out of the ordinary
there.  Strange.

Any pointers appreciated.

Thanks

Bob Keys {rdkeys zat unity dottie ncsu dottie edu}

2. Need LINUX

3. 'No route to host' routing problems

4. Help! I've run 'xdm' and I can't get up!

5. Changing Serial Nos using 'brand'

6. Lucent Winmodem Problem (after reboot)

7. REDHAT 6 - 'No Route to host'?

8. xdm and kdm crashes on logoff

9. DNS works, but get 'no route to host' for everything.

10. No Route to Host; Syntax error '(' Unexpected

11. 'no route to host'

12. Why routed doesn't send static routes?

13. ping -g 'gateway-IP' 'host-IP' DOESN'T work!