Routing THROUGH linux to my Univ's PPP server

Routing THROUGH linux to my Univ's PPP server

Post by Drew Hamilt » Thu, 13 Jul 1995 04:00:00

I am a student at a University, and I am running Linux at home.  My
roommate is running OS/2, and we are networked through PPP and a
Null Modem.  For this small network, we have assigned ourselves
dummy IP address:

    ariel (Linux) - 111.111.111.1
    nala  (OS/2)  - 111.111.111.2

ariel is also the one who is connected to, via dial-up PPP, the
University's computer system.  ariel has a dynamic IP address.

Now, I want to get nala routing through ariel to do such things
as telnet, ftp, and netscape.  But, it doesn't work yet.  For whatever
reason, nala can't connect to anyone in the outside world, jusy
ariel.

Any suggestions?

---
Drew Hamilton      UW Math/CS      http://calum.uwaterloo.ca/~awhamilt
char *Girlfriend=NULL;            int languages[3]={English,French,C};
#include<fdc.h>   #define DREAMGIRL "Belle"   const int status=SINGLE;
"Je veux m'envoler dans le bleu de l'espace..."   - Belle, lBelB, 1991

Post by Gay Stepha » Fri, 14 Jul 1995 04:00:00

Quote:Drew Hamilton writes:

Now, I want to get nala routing through ariel to do such things
as telnet, ftp, and netscape.  But, it doesn't work yet.  For whatever
reason, nala can't connect to anyone in the outside world, jusy
ariel.

Any suggestions?

I say:

You are using ariel as a gateway. Have you compiled its kernel with the
IP-forwarding option ?

| Stephane GAY                        Phone: (+33) 76 62 59 53              |

| CPDE-MDIS                                                                 |
|              Am Enfang war das Wort ... Aber warum, Vati ?                |

Post by Matthew Lundbe » Sat, 15 Jul 1995 04:00:00

>I am a student at a University, and I am running Linux at home.  My
>roommate is running OS/2, and we are networked through PPP and a
>Null Modem.  For this small network, we have assigned ourselves
>dummy IP address:

>    ariel (Linux) - 111.111.111.1
>    nala  (OS/2)  - 111.111.111.2

>ariel is also the one who is connected to, via dial-up PPP, the
>University's computer system.  ariel has a dynamic IP address.

>Now, I want to get nala routing through ariel to do such things
>as telnet, ftp, and netscape.  But, it doesn't work yet.  For whatever
>reason, nala can't connect to anyone in the outside world, jusy
>ariel.

You can't do this by yourself at your end.  To do what you want,
you need to get an "official" network number from the NIC.  Hint:
it'll be a class C network, not one starting with "111."  Also,
you'll need a domain name, again registered with the NIC.

But before you can get the domain name, you'll need two name
servers who agree to translate your domain name to an IP address,
so others can find you.  One of these name servers must be off
your premesis, I believe.  The registration of the domain name,
and the assignment of the network address don't cost anything.

After this, you'll have to get your University's network admins
to route to your network.  They may or may not agree to do this.
Most ISP's charge extra, a lot extra, for routing.  If you have
any friends in charge of anything, it's a lot easier.

By the way, it turns out that 111.0.0.0 is a reserved network
address.  You won't get any routing to that network at all.
Try "whois 111.0.0.0" while you're connected.
--

Post by David Simmo » Wed, 19 Jul 1995 04:00:00

>>Now, I want to get nala routing through ariel to do such things
>>as telnet, ftp, and netscape.  But, it doesn't work yet.  For whatever
>>reason, nala can't connect to anyone in the outside world, jusy
>>ariel.

>You can't do this by yourself at your end.  To do what you want,
>you need to get an "official" network number from the NIC.  Hint:
>it'll be a class C network, not one starting with "111."  Also,
>you'll need a domain name, again registered with the NIC.

No, all he needs is another IP address from his university.  He
definately *does not* need a domain name for connectivity.  Domain
names have nothing at all to do with routing packets.

Quote:>After this, you'll have to get your University's network admins
>to route to your network.  They may or may not agree to do this.

This is true.  The extra IP address he gets from the university
will *have* to have a route set up in the terminal server.  This is
probably a very impractical thing for the university admins to set
up, especially since a dynamic IP address is being assigned when he
dials in.  If you could setup your own dialup facility on campus,
you could handle this yourself.  This is what I have done, regard
http://www.ee.msstate.edu/~simmons/apartment.html for information,
technical notes, and an academic paper I have written.

The more practical solution in your case may be to keep your
network situation like it is, using a "private" IP network at home
that the outside world cannot see, and make the internetted
machine into a proxy server for the non-internetted machine.
This involves running proxy daemon software on the internetted host.
This will allow the non-internetted host to access WWW, etc., through
the internetted host without actually having to be "on the net".

There might also be some similar alternatives, like the 'slurp'
software.

Hope this helps.
David

--

Mississippi State University Electrical and Computer Engineering
Visit my home page!  http://www.ee.msstate.edu/~simmons

1. redhat server won't route thru firewall

Ok here's the deal.. I have a linux box set up as a firewall:

eth0 x.136
eth1 x.137

table:

x.129   *       x.255  eth0
x.136   *       x.255  eth0
x.137   *       x.255  eth1
x.138   *       x.192  eth1  (my subnet)
127.0   *       255.0
default x.129   0.0     eth0

Ok now I have a linux host sitting inside the firewall:

Destination     Gateway         Genmask         Flags   MSS Window  irtt Iface
x.130           *               255.255.255.255 UH        0 0          0 eth0
x.128            *               255.255.255.192 U         0 0          0 eth0
127.0.0.0       *               255.0.0.0       U         0 0          0 lo
default         207.8.43.137    0.0.0.0         UG        0 0          0 eth0

THIS HOST WON'T WORK. I can pig all IP's on the LAN and it works fine.
Note: this is not
the firewall, b/c win boxes and another vanilla redhat 7.0 system will route
thru the firewall and can ping hosts on the internet. I have the firewall set
up to ACCEPT everything for now. It's just a router to the router pizza box
from our ISP.

The system is a vanilla 6.0 system upgraded to vanilla 6.2. I know this can
work.

BTW if plug this host DIRECTLY into the dumb pizza box router, it works (
assuming I change the default gw from .137 (the firewall) to .129 (the routers
address)

Any help appreciated.

-allen-

2. slackware vs redhat - Opinions?

3. How to route win95 LAN thru Linux Box with ppp connection.

4. Network Printing Problem

5. How do I ppp link 2 linux PC's thru serial cable?

6. Svgalib problem. Please HELP

7. How to browse internt thru' LAN's MS proxy server (also serving as firewall)

8. ERR: "xmosaic -geometry +1+1"

9. Win95's PPP <-> Linux PPP server?

10. Routing thru PPP

11. Routing thru PPP question

12. Question: Routing network thru PPP link

13. Routing with Nat & PPP thru TCP