Strange spam (No linux content, I think)

Strange spam (No linux content, I think)

Post by Eric Gofort » Fri, 17 Dec 1999 04:00:00

Hello all,

I received this and have no idea what it is, I don't really buy it on
face value.  There are also a lot of typos in their little letter (seems
suspicious).  Anybody have any idea what this is?  I was afraid to try
out the web site, that bad things might happen to my system, or that
this was an attempt to overload the server in question (guess I wouldn't
be helping that by posting it here).

Eric

> Good Day
> To: undisclosed-recipients:;

> We are pod4.org a non profit organization that aims to bring IRC chat to those who are sick, ill or cannot afford such a service.
> We want to provide free IRC chjat especially for children in hospitals, we believe communication is essential to make their time less boring and painful in such an institution.
> Please help us to test our systems stability and intergrity.
> You can do so by using Mirc. (www.mirc.co.uk).
> You then simple type in the status window
> /server obiwan.grid9.net
> or
> /server 206.161.83.223
> as you can see we are still in our beta test phase and require the help of many people to ensure that we will be offering quality services.
> Later on you can reach us typing
> /server irc.pod4.org
> /server core.pod4.org (US user)
> /server observations.pod4.org (EU user)

> Please help us to test the system. We would be delighted to learn about your ideas and points of views, Should you want to meat staff please join #net or #help once you connected.

> Please excuse this "spam" message we do nto have the money to promote the IRC net in another way. We thouroughly apologize and still hope that you'll help us.

> Thank you.

> Pod4 HQ

Strange spam (No linux content, I think)

Post by Nicholas John Muriso » Fri, 17 Dec 1999 04:00:00

I got the same spam, and I'm just as suspicious as you.  I get really
pissed off at people who spam me just because I'm on a newsgroup.  I'm
already responsible for closing at least one Yahoo account, and possibly
an ISP connection to Flashnet.  I suppose the solution is to use a bogus
reply-to address for my postings, but why should we have to lie to keep
a bunch of brats who don't know their netiquette off our backs?
--
Nicholas John Murison
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Strange spam (No linux content, I think)

Post by Rod Smi » Fri, 17 Dec 1999 04:00:00

[Posted and mailed]

Quote:> I got the same spam, and I'm just as suspicious as you.  I get really
> pissed off at people who spam me just because I'm on a newsgroup.  I'm
> already responsible for closing at least one Yahoo account, and possibly
> an ISP connection to Flashnet.  I suppose the solution is to use a bogus
> reply-to address for my postings, but why should we have to lie to keep
> a bunch of brats who don't know their netiquette off our backs?

If you're interested in learning how to stop spam, I highly recommend Alan
Schwartz & Simson Garfinkel's book, "Stopping Spam," from O'Reilly. I've
got a brief description and link to its Amazon.com page on my web page:
http://members.bellatlantic.net/~smithrod/books-network.html.

Personally, I'm using Postfix's (my MTA's) message header filters and the
RBL to block some of the most egregious stuff. I think I get about 50-75%
of it that way. I once tried a prepared Procmail system, but it
misdirected far too much legitimate mail into the "suspected spam"
category, and I just want to be rid of it, not have to sift through it
myself later, anyhow.

--

http://members.bellatlantic.net/~smithrod
Author of books on Linux networking & WordPerfect for Linux

1. spam spam spam spam

plush-toy daemon?  I tried to mail back asking if I was on some sort of
mailing list and got the ad back again (in English and German this
time).
It's kinda annoying.
--
                                                            - Mike

                                                    |   |
                                                    | _ |
Michael D. White                             _______|/V\|_______
University of California, Davis      X------------[_\(.)/_]------------X
Dept. of Mechanical & Aeronautical Engineering    /o`~|~`o\

                    http://www.engr.ucdavis.edu/~mdwhite
                 http://www-mae.engr.ucdavis.edu/CFD/white

2. linux and Armada 4110

3. Somebody Thinks I'm Sending Spam

4. NIS Set-up

5. Strange set-of-spam headers ?

6. y2k-problem : Date is set to year 1970

7. mount gets a spam of strange kernel messages

8. Slirp: What to put in /etc files?

9. Very Very Strange... Spam attack?

10. Not Available these Signal nos on Linux

11. faster NOS: NetWare or Linux?

12. NOS/NET/Wampes for linux

13. linux NOS