Can't find home directory

Post by orm.. » Fri, 14 Mar 1997 04:00:00

I have just discovered that the shadow- file is empty and the passwd-
file is missing the user entries, the system entries are still intact. The
passwd file still contains all entries. Just how that happened I have no
clue. Now I'm wondering if passwd- and shadow- should be identical.

GammaTech, Inc.       Product Development

Can't find home directory

Post by orm.. » Fri, 14 Mar 1997 04:00:00

*sigh* I installed RedHat 4.1, had things working. All of a sudden I cannot
telnet, ftp, into the box or login with non-root accounts. It says it cannot
find the home directory. Trying to su to a user account from root says
permission to run /bin/bash was denied.

I am using PAM for shadow passwords and all was working well. This
happened to me once before and I reinstalled to fix it. I really like RedHat
much better than Slackware but I can't live with this. Hopefully someone
else has run into this and has a solution.

I'm sure I hosed something up but I have no clue what. The permissions and
owner/group on the home directories look fine. I have not touched anything
in the /bin directory and the bash binary permissions look fine. Help!

GammaTech, Inc.       Product Development