Please help! Linux partition reformat for DOS!

Please help! Linux partition reformat for DOS!

Post by Matt and Nanc » Sat, 08 Feb 1997 04:00:00

Hello!

I Partitioned my girlfriend's PC into three parts:  a DOS, a Linux, and a
linux swap partition.  I formatted the Linux partitions for Linux, and then
installed Linux (slackware).  Then I played around with that way cool
operating system for a while.

The problem is my girlfriend's computer is running out of space on the DOS
partition!
She is not happy.  I need to fix it back to DOS!!  How the heck do I do
that?  It is fine that the computer is partitioned, but I need to reformat
the Linux partion's for DOS.

Please help!

Thanks!

Matt

Please help! Linux partition reformat for DOS!

Post by Douglas E. Mitt » Sat, 08 Feb 1997 04:00:00

I've done this several times WITHOUT PROBLEMS BUT "Your Mileage May
Vary" ...

Get a copy of Partition Magic 2(+), delete the Linux and swap
partitions then resize the dos partition to where you want it!!!

Remember "Murphys Law" ... if you don't backup your data YOU WILL need
the backup!!!

Good Luck!!!

Quote:>Hello!
>I Partitioned my girlfriend's PC into three parts:  a DOS, a Linux, and a
>linux swap partition.  I formatted the Linux partitions for Linux, and then
>installed Linux (slackware).  Then I played around with that way cool
>operating system for a while.
>The problem is my girlfriend's computer is running out of space on the DOS
>partition!
>She is not happy.  I need to fix it back to DOS!!  How the heck do I do
>that?  It is fine that the computer is partitioned, but I need to reformat
>the Linux partion's for DOS.
>Please help!
>Thanks!
>Matt

Please help! Linux partition reformat for DOS!

Post by Greg Wooled » Wed, 12 Feb 1997 04:00:00

Quote:>She is not happy.  I need to fix it back to DOS!!  How the heck do I do
>that?  It is fine that the computer is partitioned, but I need to reformat
>the Linux partion's for DOS.

Use DOS's 'fdisk' program to make the rest of the disk (after the first
DOS partition) into a second DOS partition.  Then reboot and 'format'
the new drive (D:).

DOS's 'fdisk' program probably won't 'see' the Linux partition or the
swap partition.  That's OK.
--
------------                  Greg Wooledge                  -------------

---             <http://kellnet.com/wooledge/main.html>                ---

1. Reformatting/repartitioning DOS w/o affecting Linux-partition: Tips?

Hi,

My IDE harddisk /dev/hda is divided up into a DOS partition
(DOS v5 on there) and a Linux partition, both bootable.

I need to reformat the DOS partition because of FAT problems
(and prob. take off another chunk for another second Linux
partition while doing so).

What's the best (read: SAFEST) way of going about this, without
affecting the existing Linux partition?  Either from DOS or from
Linux -- though I doubt the latter is an option.

Thanks in advance.

BJ

2. Help needed

3. Reformatting Linux Hard Drive Partition to DOS format again

4. Problem with X

5. Please help! cp from DOS partition to Linux

6. what use is ServerName in Apache?

7. DOS PARTITION: AIC7XXX TARGET PROBLEM, PLEASE HELP!

8. Lost hda DMA with 2.2.0

9. Cant install from DOS partition.... help please

10. DOS PARTITION: AIC7XXX TARGET PROBLEM, PLEASE HELP!

11. mount dos partition, please help!

12. DOS PARTITION: AIC7XXX TARGET PROBLEM, PLEASE HELP!

13. Help with making a DOS partition Read-only please