Throughput of NIC

Post by Begga » Fri, 03 Nov 2000 03:13:58

Hi all,

How much throughput of one 100Mbps full duplex NIC
should I expect? can it really up to 100Mbps in and 100Mpbs out?
Since when I ftp something from one machines to another, I
at most can only got 30 Mbps throughput.... how about the 70Mpbs?
Even two ppl can only got around 15 and 15 Mbps each.....share the
30 Mbps... why??

And is the full duplex means can trasmit 100 Mbps in and out at the
same time, so totally 200Mbps throughput?

Also, how about 1000Mbps NIC, what is the actually speed should
I expect ?

Thanks!!

Dicky

Throughput of NIC

Post by Sjoerd Langkempe » Fri, 03 Nov 2000 03:51:51

Quote:> Hi all,

> How much throughput of one 100Mbps full duplex NIC
> should I expect? can it really up to 100Mbps in and 100Mpbs out?

Mbps means megabits per second. Hence the bits.

Quote:> Since when I ftp something from one machines to another, I
> at most can only got 30 Mbps throughput.... how about the 70Mpbs?

You probably got 30 MBps. 30 Megabytes per second. Hence the bytes.

Quote:> Even two ppl can only got around 15 and 15 Mbps each.....share the
> 30 Mbps... why??

> And is the full duplex means can trasmit 100 Mbps in and out at the
> same time, so totally 200Mbps throughput?

No. Although this can be true or not, full duplex means it can send in and
out at the same time. It says nothing about the speed.

Quote:> Also, how about 1000Mbps NIC, what is the actually speed should
> I expect ?

About 9 times as fast as a 100 Mbps NIC.

No way, this is a newsgroup.

Sjoerd

Throughput of NIC

Post by Begga » Fri, 03 Nov 2000 09:25:47

> > Hi all,

> > How much throughput of one 100Mbps full duplex NIC
> > should I expect? can it really up to 100Mbps in and 100Mpbs out?

> Mbps means megabits per second. Hence the bits.

> > Since when I ftp something from one machines to another, I
> > at most can only got 30 Mbps throughput.... how about the 70Mpbs?

> You probably got 30 MBps. 30 Megabytes per second. Hence the bytes.

of  course I know what is Mbps.... it't only got 3-4 Mega Byte per second!
So that's around 30 Mega bit!

Quote:

> > Even two ppl can only got around 15 and 15 Mbps each.....share the
> > 30 Mbps... why??

> > And is the full duplex means can trasmit 100 Mbps in and out at the
> > same time, so totally 200Mbps throughput?

> No. Although this can be true or not, full duplex means it can send in and
> out at the same time. It says nothing about the speed.

I mean the 100Mbps full duplex NIC .. does it means can have totally
200Mpbs throughput at the same time

> > Also, how about 1000Mbps NIC, what is the actually speed should
> > I expect ?

> About 9 times as fast as a 100 Mbps NIC.

> No way, this is a newsgroup.

> Sjoerd

1. Out of interest, max throughput of NICs

I know, I know.. Its says "10Mbit" on it, but what are the actual practical
speeds you
achieve with these?

I saw a little something in the Ethernet HOWTO about speeds, but does anyone
have
some good ideas?

IE, what sort of throughput does a 16bit ISA board have? In a 486dx2/33? In
a faster 60mHz bus pentium?

I'm just trying to figure this out now :)

-G

--
http://www.infotainment.org

2. NNTP server setup on linux?

3. UDP throughput code: much lower than expected throughput

4. webcam problem

5. UDP throughput tool: unusually low throughput

6. Developement of Reveal TV500 driver

7. Queston on iperf to measure throughput between 2 NICs

8. Compling kernel in Red Hat 4.0

9. Excessive NIC errors - weird throughput

10. max throughput on 100mbit nic card

11. testing throughput on a bonded NIC

12. Multiple NICs for additional Network throughput

13. will 2 NIC's sharing IRQ affect network throughput?